Sling Bag VS BackPack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I just bought a 300D + kit lens + 75-300mm lens.. I wanna get a camera bag which is not too large since at most i have only one body + 2 lens in my bag.

In the future, the accessories i MIGHT get is only a flash gun and a vertical grip so my question is,what bags do u guys reccomend?

Whats the adv of a sling bag over a backpack and vice versa.

Budgie Smuggler http://www.crumplerusa.com/products/camerabag/budgie_smuggler.html
seems to fit my current needs, anyone tried that bag before?

Last of all, where can i get the best price?

From my experience, if you go on travel, and need to carry more than just your camera and accessories (for example, a laptop), then backpack is the way to go, as it is easier to carry for a longer period of time. The drawback is that it takes more trouble getting the camera and accessories in and out of your bag.

For short day-trips, or when covering an event, the sling bag is the way to go because you need to have quick access to your equipment.

For myself, I own 3 bags: a Crumpler Farmer's Double backpack, a Lowepro Photorunner, and a Cullman sling bag. When I travel, I carry my camera and laptop in the backpack, and stuff the Photorunner in the main luggage. When on location and making sightseeing trips, I transfer my camera to the Photorunner. For local shooting I will use my sling bag most of the time.

Hope this helps.

foxtwo said:
that smuggler is too small for consideration. :)

http://www.crumplerusa.com/images/products/bs002_w_stuffb.jpg -> looks a lot like my fm2n body at the right compartment there... a normal flash at the centre and a short lens at the left.

Thanks for pointing it out..
what do you suggest based on my current arsenal of equipment then? ;)

Try the Crumpler's 15 Love. I have that bag and it can fit 300D+ vertical grip, 550EX, 18-55mm, SIGMA 70-300mm, 50mm 1.8 and some space for extra batts + lens pen + cleaning cloth

roygoh said:
From my experience, if you go on travel, and need to carry more than just your camera and accessories (for example, a laptop), then backpack is the way to go, as it is easier to carry for a longer period of time. The drawback is that it takes more trouble getting the camera and accessories in and out of your bag.

For short day-trips, or when covering an event, the sling bag is the way to go because you need to have quick access to your equipment.

For myself, I own 3 bags: a Crumpler Farmer's Double backpack, a Lowepro Photorunner, and a Cullman sling bag. When I travel, I carry my camera and laptop in the backpack, and stuff the Photorunner in the main luggage. When on location and making sightseeing trips, I transfer my camera to the Photorunner. For local shooting I will use my sling bag most of the time.

Hope this helps.

Thanks roy,

As for now, i think i would cover events more than travelling hence i might not want a backpack yeah? Hmmz, crumpler's designs are pretty appealing but i wonder they can protect the camera well? If i'm not wrong, East Gear and Cp offers quite a good range of camera bag right? Do they offer the bets price too? Is East Gear at Penisular PLaza btw?

TCW has a shop upstairs with an utterly wide selection of camera bags, friendly staff too. U can check it out. :)

should be lah, the hotel side.

pls dun call me foxy... :sweat:

ordinaryless said:
haha, ok thanks foxtwo

no problem. ;)

ps. go to the main shop first to query, cos the shop upstairs might not be open. (and it's got no shop sign too... haha so finding it might be a bit*h)

ordinaryless said:
thank you foxy! TCW also at PP right?

TCW is at Peninsula Shopping Centre, right beside Peninsula Plaza. You will see a Spinelli and Ruby on the ground floor. Walk pass Ruby and go right in and you'll see a shop selling second hand stuff. They import in Safrotto bags, which are basically rip off of popular designs (i.e. Lowepro and Domke), at affordable prices.

I'd recently gotten a backpack/slingbag from there! :D

ordinaryless said:
Thank you very much to all those that replied..

I hope this thread is benefitial to nicholaslee too? Haha.. :D

Yup! He should benefit from it, especially since he'd just gotten a brand new Canon 300D!! :D

roygoh said:

Agree, just came back from Taiwan, everyday carry 1 laptop, 2 lenses, 1 flash and 1 body in a mini trekker, walking and shooting from 10am to 6pm for 5 days and I am still alright with the weight. But with the 2nd lens in the backpack, i do think twice when i need to change lens, may be next time can get a lens pouch and hang the lens around the belt? :think:

On the other hand if i take my sling bag and put 1 body, 1 lens and 1 flash, even half a day i can't take it liao.

If you are keen in having both a sling bag and a backpack, perhaps you would like to consider the Safrotto F series bags. The feature of this bag is that it could be converted from a sling bag to a haversack in seconds. You may wish to visit TCW to find out more about the bag! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.