Slim and Non slim CPL. What is the difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nkhoo

Nov 13, 2004
Hi, i'm thinking of getting a CPL for my tamron 17-50mm lens. Must i get the slim version? Or can i save some $$ and get the non slim ones?

You might also want to note that if you're going to leave the filter on your lens, nomal lens caps will not fit the slim filters.
well, not exactly... some slim CPL like marumi have front threads...

if you're going to stack filters (like a UV + ND + POL) u might want to get the slim version to reduce vignetting... helps a big deal for the wide angles...

i know B+W dun. how abt kenko, anyone have any idea?
one I know of is Marumi... I got no problem attaching tianya ring and also my lens cap on top of the CPL... the CPL is as slim as normal Hoya UV. ;)

This I got to see. The reason for these filters is that their profile is slimer than the regular filters. Makes no sense to have threads unless they use thinner glass.

This I got to see. The reason for these filters is that their profile is slimer than the regular filters. Makes no sense to have threads unless they use thinner glass.

you want a proof? ;)

just a simple snapshot
DSC_0990Small.jpg

You might also want to note that if you're going to leave the filter on your lens, nomal lens caps will not fit the slim filters.

I see what you mean now. If its for stacking then a few round of threads wouldn't thicken the profile too much. If you read my message again, I meant the clip on caps that comes with the lens. Those will fit?

I see what you mean now. If its for stacking then a few round of threads wouldn't thicken the profile too much. If you read my message again, I meant the clip on caps that comes with the lens. Those will fit?
I already said in my last last post
one I know of is Marumi... I got no problem attaching tianya ring and also my lens cap on top of the CPL... the CPL is as slim as normal Hoya UV.
Im putting on the CPL as my "protection" filter instead of the UV, unless I need more light...

ok another snappy shot
DSC_0991Small.jpg

Ok, the additional image makes it clearer now. So where do I get Marumi filters?
eBay... probably the best place I know.. (got mine from them, very responsible seller.) :thumbsup:

eBay... probably the best place I know.. (got mine from them, very responsible seller.) :thumbsup:

you got me interested too. although i prefer to get it brand new from local retailer to get a peace of mind.

i know B+W dun. how abt kenko, anyone have any idea?

I am actually ok with the provided cap by B+W slim filter :lovegrin: though it caps on using "friction".

Darn... I am also quite interested in the Marumi filters now... But I don't have a way to pay in ebay and I prefer to get it from a retailer... (And I cannot figure out which one is the slim version in that list of filters!!)

I've got a hoya pro1 for my tele lens, and i can clip on the cap. So if i use a non slim cpl on my wide angle zoom, it'll be ok right?

Status
Not open for further replies.