Slik Sprint Pro 2 GM

Status
Not open for further replies.

andyq

Oct 3, 2006
Tampines
Saw alot of not so nice review on the Sprint Pro tripod when using with DSLR. But all that was dated back to around 2006. not too sure if this is the same as the Pro 2 which i saw recently?

are they 2 different product(Pro 2 and pro) or its the same?

anyone got any idea?

i feel that the slik sprint pro is good enough for a small dslr like the 500D.

I used to use it for my 450D :)

I even use it as a light travel tripod for my 5D occasionally cuz my manfrotto is too heavy and long to use as a travel tripod. Just use it carefully with heavier setups and hang a bag below it for more stability.

i seen reviews on the previous version saying it is not stable. slight wind will make it wobble abit. and also the ball head is not that fantastic in tightening. so i just wanna know if this later version got this kind of problem or not.

any idea how much the 'Sprint mini II GM' cost?

any idea how much the 'Sprint mini II GM' cost?

apperciate that if you could do a search on this(if there is any) and also start new thread.
:)

Last edited:
My friend and I was also considering the SLIK Sprint Pro 2 GM as a travel tripod, but after seeing the actual build/make at CP, we were having 2nd thoughts. It was a bit heavy(though steady) and the Quick Release Shoe system was really .... ... a bit cheap skate coz the locking mechanism was only a small flimsy piece of plastic.

Drop by CP to take a look and feel for yourself before making the decision like what I did with my friend, and then perhaps drop by the benro shop at penisular plaza? to feel the alternative which we went for.... Worth paying the little bit extra to get benro which my friend did and never regretted... :thumbsup:

The newer model has foam rubber grips on the upper legs and a QR. Its also more expensive and heavier. The foam rubber grips makes a big diff in cold weather where holding the bare metal tripod will be a pain (literally). However, I don't like it as its heavier (which defeats its purpose) and more expensive.

The older model has rather thin legs (don't know abt the new one), which can make it a bit shaky in harsh winds, but should not be an issue in S'pore. Tying and hanging something to the center column also helps (no hooks btw, so you need to improvise).

My take is that its good as a lightweight tripod which is very easy to take along. Very often, I forget its even there. I believe in the 'easy to take, better than heavy and never take' point of view. If you need heavy duty work, look elsewhere.

My friend and I was also considering the SLIK Sprint Pro 2 GM as a travel tripod, but after seeing the actual build/make at CP, we were having 2nd thoughts. It was a bit heavy(though steady) and the Quick Release Shoe system was really .... ... a bit cheap skate coz the locking mechanism was only a small flimsy piece of plastic.

Drop by CP to take a look and feel for yourself before making the decision like what I did with my friend, and then perhaps drop by the benro shop at penisular plaza? to feel the alternative which we went for.... Worth paying the little bit extra to get benro which my friend did and never regretted... :thumbsup:

It is not even 1 kilo....

i use the original slik sprint pro which you can prob get at about $80 on the CS classifieds, + a velbon quick release ballhead (Velbon QHD-41Q) instead of the original non QR ball head. Works great for the 5D on holiday. key thing is the light weight and small footprint. When fully compacted, you can actually fit it in a cabin size trolly bag or inside your backpack.

1008426.jpg

but i must still say, if you are using it in strong winds, best to hook a bag below the tripod to maintain stability, i used it in iceland and the wind almost toppled it over, but i managed to catch the tripod and camera. hooked a bag underneath it after that and it was fine from then on.

I am using the slik sprint pro for my D90 with kit lens, but I bought it originally for my old prosumer. It is relatively lightweight, but seems to be sufficiently stable for my D90 (caveat, I have only used this tripod in Singapore, and never in windy weather). However, I have tested it and it definitely fits within my carryon luggage.

I really like the panning head that comes with the tripod - smooth and solid - an improvement from the older version, which I also saw at CP at that time. The only part I didn't like is the lack of a hook at the centre column for me to hang a bag on to make it even more stable. Need to take some time out to see if I can rig up something for that.

I am using the slik sprint pro for my D90 with kit lens, but I bought it originally for my old prosumer. It is relatively lightweight, but seems to be sufficiently stable for my D90 (caveat, I have only used this tripod in Singapore, and never in windy weather). However, I have tested it and it definitely fits within my carryon luggage.

I really like the panning head that comes with the tripod - smooth and solid - an improvement from the older version, which I also saw at CP at that time. The only part I didn't like is the lack of a hook at the centre column for me to hang a bag on to make it even more stable. Need to take some time out to see if I can rig up something for that.

r u having the Pro 2 or the old version. I saw the pro 2 comes with ballhead. You change to pan head?

i use the original slik sprint pro which you can prob get at about $80 on the CS classifieds, + a velbon quick release ballhead (Velbon QHD-41Q) instead of the original non QR ball head. Works great for the 5D on holiday. key thing is the light weight and small footprint. When fully compacted, you can actually fit it in a cabin size trolly bag or inside your backpack.

1008426.jpg

how much you bought the ballhead? where?

r u sure u saw the right tripod? its not even 1kg leh.

yeah loh.. if less than 1kg u say heavy... then all tripod is "very" heavy keke...

maybe you see the 3way version which is 1.1kg

hee.... perhaps the metallic finish made it look heavy bah... ;p

but main point is not the weight.... its the tripod QR system.... Was already set to buy the tripod when we were at CP. But the flimsy QR system was a total turn off....:sweat:

Been using it for 5 years, the old version with default ball head, ya it looks cheapskate and sucky not as pro looking at gitzo range, so far work very well for me as I didn't extend to max height and always split it wide for low angle. Btw its currently serving me well and the ball head locks tight for my D700 + Af-S 24-70f2.8. Maybe mine was a special edition thats why I don't find it shaky or unstable. :bsmilie:

P.s my old model don't even come with a quick release plate ...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.