wainism

Apr 15, 2004
Beeshan
hi,

i m looking for a tripod for a D70. max lens shd be 70-300mm

i am 1.75m tall

been reading around and most people recommend the

MANFROTTO 190 or 055

but i went to Cathay and i some how find that the SLIK 50(dunno if its the model) at $170 is a more stable tripod

any advice?

I am 1.88m tall and i chose the manfrotto 055prob, didn't regret it at all :). Tripod is steady and reaches my eye level without extending the centre column.

@ 1.75m tall, best get 055 series. Although it is heavier than 190 series, it does not require you to extend the centre column inorder to get the camera view finder to be @ eye level.

If weight is more of a concern, than go for 190 series, the trade off is you will have to extend the centre column, which affect the stability on the whole.

If you do close up photo, then go for those pro series, eg 055pro, 190pro. The centre column can be mounted horizontally to bring the camera closer to the subject without having to move the whole tripod into the bushes.

Note with the newer version, the centre column can be remove via unscrewing it, hence the tripod can be lowered to ground level be having the 3 legs @ horizontal position.

The older version can do this. The centre column have to be removed, else the tripod cant be set flat to the ground.

Confusing? Go check the manfrotto site.

Hope a/m helps.

but all MANFROTTOS need to buy seperate ball heads rite?

check out the Slik 500 DX.
height will be nice for u.
i try it.. getting it next month..
weight is lighter then 055.

of cos the 055 is the better quality in built and weight.

It all boils down to preference. Although I own a 190 and the studio I work for uses 055 and Gitzos, I don't mind any other tripods. The main options to me using a manfrotto is the interchangable heads, I have different heads for different shoots.

Choose wisely, it must be on that you feel comfortable to use and carry around. Don't buy one that you would use once or twice then left to collect dust in some corner of the store room. Don't always buy what others are having, buy what you need and like. :)

May be you should go out with a friend with the tripod that you have in mind, try carry it as per what you would in a normal outing shoot, be it trekking or night shoot. Check to see you are comfortable with the weight of the tripod set up and if it is stable enough with the heaviest camera setup you will use (bear in mind it should cater for buffer future upgrading).

More often then not, people end up buying another tripod set when they upgrade, not that it is wrong or anything like that. Just as long as you are comfortable with it. For me, have use 190 and 055 series, each fitted if a cheap, outdated and extra heavy but very capable medium format ball head to cater for future venture into MF, and also to hold my big mama 500mm f5.6 lens (this is where my 055 comes in), which is a lens I never thought of buying when a bought the heads much ealier. So you see where the buffer becomes usefull.

Next is the tripod becomes a white elephant, either because its too heavy so it discourage you from bringing it. Or it is just that your shooting style just dont requires you to us it (street candid in daylight or you do flash photography when ambient light is low).

I think where are you using the tripod is very important. For me, I hardly uses tripod at SG. Usually use it when I'm travelling, and most of the time for night time only. Hence, there's a chance you may end up carrying a tripod for 10 hours before you use it once.

So for my case, I go for the lightest that can support my camera's weight. For addition stability you could hang a bag or hold it down with your hands.

Adams

hi all, sorry to crash in on your thread but just would like to know if anyone has the Manfrotto 055MF4. if anyone does, comments/compare with the 055Pro. thanks!!

wainism said:
hi,

i m looking for a tripod for a D70. max lens shd be 70-300mm

i am 1.75m tall

been reading around and most people recommend the

MANFROTTO 190 or 055

but i went to Cathay and i some how find that the SLIK 50(dunno if its the model) at $170 is a more stable tripod

any advice?

I got a 2nd hand SLIK ABLE 300DX tripod for only $60 with the 3 way pan head. Its good for 5kg which is more than enough for a lightweight D70 and my lightweight lens.

http://www.slik.com/pro/4906752103166-e.html

(new ones shld be ard $100 or so, cheaper than Manfrotto and the 3 way pan is good enough for most applications)

It extends quite high, (i'm 1.8m) and compared to the Manfrotto 190 which I have to bend down to look thru the viewfinder, even with center column extended FULL. (max height w/center column is only 145cm)

The 055 is good too (max height w/ center column is 181cm)

Get a good tripod strap or bag to help u lug it ard, cos its heavy to be walking a long distance with that thing.

Unless u have some Lowepro bags or ..etc that has Tripod carrying features on it.
Like Rover AW, Mini Trekker...etc

Some useful links to Manfrotto
http://db.manfrotto.com/product/itemlist.php3?manufid=1&sectionid=86

Winston said:
Get a good tripod strap or bag to help u lug it ard, cos its heavy to be walking a long distance with that thing.

Unless u have some Lowepro bags or ..etc that has Tripod carrying features on it.
Like Rover AW, Mini Trekker...etc

Tripod bag not a must, if I may add. My friends & myself uses tripod sling (some DIY the sling).

Pros of not using tripod bag
1) Easy setting up, dont need to take tripod in & out of the bag.

2) Normally, once we have set up, though it is not adviceble, we carry the set to move from place to place (if its a walking distant apart), eg shooting in the zoo with tele-lens, camera & flash.

Imagine in a/m, now you have tripod bag, camera bag & tripod bag to carry (I referring to those padded tripod bag, those single layer tripod bag can be squeeze into the camera bag.

3) 1 less item to be damage. 2 of me friends so call branded padded tripod were torn with weeks of purchase. The reputable shop say they cant replace 1 to 1.

4) A tripod sling can also be use to carry more than 1 tripod, just need to be creative.

Disadvantage of not using tripod bag
1) Tripod get scratch.

But hey, most of us dont care, its a tripod made of aluminium of carbon fibre, it not going to rust because these scratches.

I would get Manfrotto for its resale value. There were a few good and sturdy ballheads of other brands like FalconEyes that cost a fraction of the price of Manfrotto equivalents, but I'm pretty sure it will be harder to sell them off if I ever were to upgrade.

If u are really on budget and dont care abt re-sale value.

Akarui makes some tripods heads and tripods, (copycat design of Manfrotto)
at a lower cost.

They do the "job" but just isnt as branded as Manfrotto and SLIK.

A tripod bag will protect the tripod from rain ...if u intend to walk with it for a long time, like trekking...etc

Winston said:
A tripod bag will protect the tripod from rain ...if u intend to walk with it for a long time, like trekking...etc

May be its just me having strong feeling of rejecting tripod bag, nothing here :

1) Ha ha ha, think most of the parts are rust proof, so never mind about getting rain on it. If it does rain, dont you think protect camera & lenses are much more inprotant.

2) My lower end tripod did rust, namely the pan head lever, even though all came with their own dedicated tripod bag.

3) If getting lower end tripod that does not come with tripod bag, dont you think so it makes more sense to use the money intended for both item, invest into a good tripod that does not rust (just wipe dry if it gets wet). Both my 190+ball head & 055+ball head dont have rust problem, and the way I use them, if they dont rust under hand, most likely it wont under yours.

4) Having to carry 3 tripod and 1 monopod while doing the trial shoot for uniquely orchard project, I stuff them into my 45L back pack. With fully adjustable strap, it much more comfortable as compare to tripod bag.

5) Forget about using the tripod strap feature on mini trekker if you are using any tripod similar to 190 and up. Damn uncomfortable.

Just my honest opinions.

Winston said:
If u are really on budget and dont care abt re-sale value.

Akarui makes some tripods heads and tripods, (copycat design of Manfrotto)
at a lower cost.

They do the "job" but just isnt as branded as Manfrotto and SLIK.

Hmmm... Have not heard of Akarui... Where to get it in SG???

Status
Not open for further replies.