Slik 400DX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swatch

Oct 28, 2005
Highlander
Hello,I visited CP today,and saw the Slik 400DX going for $170. Currently I'm using a 350D with 55-200mm, and I am not sure what tripod to buy.After seeing a thread that someone's 400DX broke or something like that. Anyone can recommend any tripods and price? My budget is around $200. Thanks!

Swatch said:
Hello,I visited CP today,and saw the Slik 400DX going for $170. Currently I'm using a 350D with 55-200mm, and I am not sure what tripod to buy.After seeing a thread that someone's 400DX broke or something like that. Anyone can recommend any tripods and price? My budget is around $200. Thanks!

I got my Manfrotto tripod (leg only) at $170 at MS colour, plus a 4kg load head extra $70.

I am using my 350D + 70-200 f/4 + flash unit on the 400DX, no problems so far. Been using it for about 4 years already.

Snoweagle said:
I got my Manfrotto tripod (leg only) at $170 at MS colour, plus a 4kg load head extra $70.

What's your Manfrotto tripod model? (Leg means 3 legs without the head right?)

Canew said:
I am using my 350D + 70-200 f/4 + flash unit on the 400DX, no problems so far. Been using it for about 4 years already.

So should be no prob...what head to use? Im not sure about heads...Anyone?

Swatch said:
I am using the default pan head. No problems except to make sure that you don't loose the washers.

Canew said:
I am using the default pan head. No problems except to make sure that you don't loose the washers.

The 400DX i saw at CP got no head...so how?:dunno:

Swatch said:
The 400DX i saw at CP got no head...so how?:dunno:
No, I really believe that the SLIK 400DX comes with the pan head at $170. Do ask Chris @ CP about it.

Swatch said:

Depends on which suits you better. More popular is the ball head as it makes framing of shots very quickly and flexible. For precision, choose the pan and tilt head.

I think i'll be getting the same setup as Snoweagle , the 055PRO and the ball head, but I saw the Manfrotto Price list thread and read that Manfrotto stock is very little now...

Swatch said:
I think i'll be getting the same setup as Snoweagle , the 055PRO and the ball head, but I saw the Manfrotto Price list thread and read that Manfrotto stock is very little now...

Yes, just wait for new stocks to come...think the one i got is the balance stocks but it works very well, though on the heavier side.

i use 330DX with manfrotto 486rc2 ball head. i find it a great combination as i dont shoot tele. with 350D w/grip + tamron 28-75mm + sigma 500dg super still good...it slips a little (the head) but other than that no problems or complaints :)

Isaiahfortythirtyone said:
i use 330DX with manfrotto 486rc2 ball head. i find it a great combination as i dont shoot tele. with 350D w/grip + tamron 28-75mm + sigma 500dg super still good...it slips a little (the head) but other than that no problems or complaints :)

Same here with my 484RC2 with EOS 30 with grip, 420EX and tamron 28-300, but overall it's still very sturdy hehe

Swatch said:

I am the one you mentioned. :cry: quick release very fragile. at first, i tot buy Slik is more cost effective as it comes with tripod head. but end up i spend more. I would prefer Manfrotto. More solid & well build. Go to CP and have a feel of both. u will know what i mean.

FYI....... CP sales guy will try to push SLIK.

Presently I am using a 055 standard tripod with a 029 pan & tilt head. Had it since the early 90s and it's still serving me rather well except that lately, on full extended mode, after a few minutes of shooting with a normal SLR + macro lens, the legs tend to slip inside a little though I believe it can be tightened.

As the others have mentioned, a Manfrotto is a good tripod so don't stinge on that. I'm not too sure about Slik as I've never tried them though the weight of some of them suggests a rather tough tripod.

Status
Not open for further replies.