Slik 400DX


Status
Not open for further replies.

Swatch

Member
Oct 28, 2005
300
0
16
Highlander
Hello,I visited CP today,and saw the Slik 400DX going for $170. Currently I'm using a 350D with 55-200mm, and I am not sure what tripod to buy.After seeing a thread that someone's 400DX broke or something like that. Anyone can recommend any tripods and price? My budget is around $200. Thanks!
 

Snoweagle

Senior Member
Jan 26, 2005
14,001
0
0
Pasir Ris, Singapore
Swatch said:
Hello,I visited CP today,and saw the Slik 400DX going for $170. Currently I'm using a 350D with 55-200mm, and I am not sure what tripod to buy.After seeing a thread that someone's 400DX broke or something like that. Anyone can recommend any tripods and price? My budget is around $200. Thanks!
I got my Manfrotto tripod (leg only) at $170 at MS colour, plus a 4kg load head extra $70.
 

Canew

Senior Member
Jul 26, 2005
2,230
0
36
Tampines
hjgoh.spaces.live.com
I am using my 350D + 70-200 f/4 + flash unit on the 400DX, no problems so far. Been using it for about 4 years already.
 

Swatch

Member
Oct 28, 2005
300
0
16
Highlander
Snoweagle said:
I got my Manfrotto tripod (leg only) at $170 at MS colour, plus a 4kg load head extra $70.
What's your Manfrotto tripod model? (Leg means 3 legs without the head right?)
 

Swatch

Member
Oct 28, 2005
300
0
16
Highlander
Canew said:
I am using my 350D + 70-200 f/4 + flash unit on the 400DX, no problems so far. Been using it for about 4 years already.
So should be no prob...what head to use? Im not sure about heads...Anyone?
 

Canew

Senior Member
Jul 26, 2005
2,230
0
36
Tampines
hjgoh.spaces.live.com
Swatch said:
So should be no prob...what head to use? Im not sure about heads...Anyone?
I am using the default pan head. No problems except to make sure that you don't loose the washers.
 

Swatch

Member
Oct 28, 2005
300
0
16
Highlander
Canew said:
I am using the default pan head. No problems except to make sure that you don't loose the washers.
The 400DX i saw at CP got no head...so how?:dunno:
 

Canew

Senior Member
Jul 26, 2005
2,230
0
36
Tampines
hjgoh.spaces.live.com
Swatch said:
The 400DX i saw at CP got no head...so how?:dunno:
No, I really believe that the SLIK 400DX comes with the pan head at $170. Do ask Chris @ CP about it.
 

Snoweagle

Senior Member
Jan 26, 2005
14,001
0
0
Pasir Ris, Singapore
Swatch said:
So should be no prob...what head to use? Im not sure about heads...Anyone?
Depends on which suits you better. More popular is the ball head as it makes framing of shots very quickly and flexible. For precision, choose the pan and tilt head.
 

Swatch

Member
Oct 28, 2005
300
0
16
Highlander
I think i'll be getting the same setup as Snoweagle , the 055PRO and the ball head, but I saw the Manfrotto Price list thread and read that Manfrotto stock is very little now...
 

Snoweagle

Senior Member
Jan 26, 2005
14,001
0
0
Pasir Ris, Singapore
Swatch said:
I think i'll be getting the same setup as Snoweagle , the 055PRO and the ball head, but I saw the Manfrotto Price list thread and read that Manfrotto stock is very little now...
Yes, just wait for new stocks to come...think the one i got is the balance stocks but it works very well, though on the heavier side.
 

Isaiahfortythirtyone

Senior Member
Jul 17, 2005
2,504
0
0
36
Clementi
i use 330DX with manfrotto 486rc2 ball head. i find it a great combination as i dont shoot tele. with 350D w/grip + tamron 28-75mm + sigma 500dg super still good...it slips a little (the head) but other than that no problems or complaints :)
 

Snoweagle

Senior Member
Jan 26, 2005
14,001
0
0
Pasir Ris, Singapore
Isaiahfortythirtyone said:
i use 330DX with manfrotto 486rc2 ball head. i find it a great combination as i dont shoot tele. with 350D w/grip + tamron 28-75mm + sigma 500dg super still good...it slips a little (the head) but other than that no problems or complaints :)
Same here with my 484RC2 with EOS 30 with grip, 420EX and tamron 28-300, but overall it's still very sturdy hehe
 

DaXiong

Senior Member
Feb 17, 2006
1,839
0
36
Swatch said:
Hello,I visited CP today,and saw the Slik 400DX going for $170. Currently I'm using a 350D with 55-200mm, and I am not sure what tripod to buy.After seeing a thread that someone's 400DX broke or something like that. Anyone can recommend any tripods and price? My budget is around $200. Thanks!
I am the one you mentioned. :cry: quick release very fragile. at first, i tot buy Slik is more cost effective as it comes with tripod head. but end up i spend more. I would prefer Manfrotto. More solid & well build. Go to CP and have a feel of both. u will know what i mean.

FYI....... CP sales guy will try to push SLIK.
 

G-man

Senior Member
Mar 2, 2006
2,381
6
38
My House
Presently I am using a 055 standard tripod with a 029 pan & tilt head. Had it since the early 90s and it's still serving me rather well except that lately, on full extended mode, after a few minutes of shooting with a normal SLR + macro lens, the legs tend to slip inside a little though I believe it can be tightened.

As the others have mentioned, a Manfrotto is a good tripod so don't stinge on that. I'm not too sure about Slik as I've never tried them though the weight of some of them suggests a rather tough tripod.
 

Status
Not open for further replies.