Slight "play" on Tamron zoom

My lens is back to life after it was down for some months. David has gifted hands!
Thanks so much for your help!

Thanks Octarine. I learned a lot of things from you.

Additional information on this lens:
The problem is common for 17-50mm irregardless of mount.
Even the new Nikon mount with built-in motor has the same problem.

No intention to scare users. Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 is a value for money lens.
But if you notice a loose zoom, stop using and send immediately for servicing.
It's a simple tightening of screw. And with a good thread lock glue, no worries for a long time

Hi there,

I recently purchased a used 17-50 (Nikon, non-BIM) which has very slight (about half a millimeter or less) play in the zoom ring. It is only noticeable because it takes more effort to start moving the zoom ring and change directions than another copy of the lens I have. Once it is moving, it is smooth, but there is a small dead zone when changing zoom directions, and a soft click is heard every time the zoom direction is changed.

I was wondering if you would be able to tell (based on this description) whether you think this is the same issue that you (and others) have experienced, and also whether you have taken apart the Nikon version before, or know if there are any major differences internally between it and the Canon version.

Hi there,

I recently purchased a used 17-50 (Nikon, non-BIM) which has very slight (about half a millimeter or less) play in the zoom ring. It is only noticeable because it takes more effort to start moving the zoom ring and change directions than another copy of the lens I have. Once it is moving, it is smooth, but there is a small dead zone when changing zoom directions, and a soft click is heard every time the zoom direction is changed.

I was wondering if you would be able to tell (based on this description) whether you think this is the same issue that you (and others) have experienced, and also whether you have taken apart the Nikon version before, or know if there are any major differences internally between it and the Canon version.

If you noticed that the zoom ring is moving/turning a bit while the zoom barrel is still not moving, it could be a sign of screw starting to get loose.

Best is to send it to Tamron agent for check up while it's still in-warranty.

As mentioned on earlier post, it could happen to any 17-50mm F2.8 series irregarless of mount. BIM version or non BIM version.

I happen to visit one of the shops in cityhall and they are also asked me if I have the cable replacement for these model. ( they know me :eek: I can't do benchmarking anymore :bsmilie: ) . It really looks like a common problem

Nikon mount version is much easier to fix. It doesn not have the electronics to control the aperture and motor for AF (non-BIM)

If you noticed that the zoom ring is moving/turning a bit while the zoom barrel is still not moving, it could be a sign of screw starting to get loose.

Best is to send it to Tamron agent for check up while it's still in-warranty.

As mentioned on earlier post, it could happen to any 17-50mm F2.8 series irregarless of mount. BIM version or non BIM version.

I happen to visit one of the shops in cityhall and they are also asked me if I have the cable replacement for these model. ( they know me :eek: I can't do benchmarking anymore :bsmilie: ) . It really looks like a common problem

Nikon mount version is much easier to fix. It doesn not have the electronics to control the aperture and motor for AF (non-BIM)
sir is this problem also occurs on the new version, the one with the vc model?

Hi Bro Fatigue,

I just bought a faulty tammy 17-50mm. The lens is unable to autofocus and you dont need to fully lock the lens when attaching it to the camera body or else it would show that there is an error when taking photos...do you have any idea on what's wrong with it?

Hi Bro Fatigue,

I just bought a faulty tammy 17-50mm. The lens is unable to autofocus and you dont need to fully lock the lens when attaching it to the camera body or else it would show that there is an error when taking photos...do you have any idea on what's wrong with it?

That could be another problem. For Canon mount, There's another flex cable that controls the aperture.
Try this simple test:
Shoot at any aperture other than F2.8, ( best if set 50mm focal length) : error shows up,
Shoot at wide open (F2.8) : no error, then it's aperture control cable.

Thanks bro fatigue for the info.....if nothing happens can I send it to you for repair?

Thank you ebay :)

DSC_3720.jpg

i really appreciate these photos.. thank you!
please share all of your photo taken, because i am trying to assemble my very similar lens (18-200mm).

Anyone knows where to get the screws for the tamron 17-50? I got some screws stripped. Thank you in advance.

About 8 months ago, there was a little play... then the lock cannot lock properly... then suddenly the lens can twist beyond the zoom range (but doesn't actually zoom any futher); then for weeks the lens can zoom back and forth, but the ring is twisted in the wrong locatio. Then finally cannot twist back.... All the while, the autofocus is working.

After several months of procrastination, I finally sent in my Tamron 17-50 last week (enlisted my father's help to send it in as it's inconveniently located).

They called me 2 working days later, and not only had they repaired it, but as it was still under warranty (bought it about years back from John 3:16), there was no cost to me.

Very Happy Tamron Customer....

I'm glad to buy more Tamron lenses... presently looking for 2nd hand 70-200 F2.8 for Sony Mount :D