Slides to print question

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kiwi

Is there any difference between getting prints from slides and negatives? The slides look nice under the loupe but I'm not sure if it will turn oout good if I print them. I wish to "pass around" some of my shots to family and friends to view. Slides are not convenient for me as I don't have a projector.

Any recommendation of shops?

Thanks!

If u send to shops to print from slides, the cost will be very high. Normally those shops use high res scan to scan the slides and print them digitally.

Wat i do is i try to scan it using film scanner, fine tune everything, then send it in and print as digital copy.

How about others? ;)

I didn't know the shops actually scan the slides first before printing digitally! I thought slides could be printed directly as what they do for negatives. (Pardon me for the ignorance as I'm new to slide-to-print. )

If that's the case, then in effect, what we get is a digital print isn't it? Almost as good as saying equivalently, we can do the scanning ourselves and let them print as you mentioned? Only thing is that there's extra work.

But from the final quality, is there a noticeable difference between printing from slide and negative?

I used to enjoy shooting from slides bcos I have control over the exposure and the colours are great compared to prints. But I think this is an "illusion" due to the reflectance of light? Without a projector and always viewing from a loupe, I find I can't share my shots and it gets straining to view them.

Prints are great for sharing and viewing but most of the time, I end up chucking away about 15-20 shots out of 36 exposures.

I long for the day when digital SLR becomes affordable without the pesky focal length multiplier!

Man, photography is burning a hole in my pocket now... :cry:

I ever send my slides to be converted to print, expensive, 3R costs $1.00.

I didn't know it's a digital print. But I do not see any "pixels/ grains" that is typical of a digital print.

Correct me if I am wrong, but they do convert slides to print, non-digital, that is.

:dunno:

Hmm, for most professional labs, they will do the slide to prints the conventional way. Even if you send in your slides at the neighbour labs, they will mostly send it to pro labs for printing.

If it was a digital print you will notice it immediately, cos even the highest resolution scanners have difficult matching the super fine grains slide such as Provia or Velvia, especially if you enlarge it.

The last time I printed from slides, the prices were like
$1.00 for 3R
$1.50 for 4R
$6.00+for 5R
$20+ for 8R

Conventional machines are getting rare nowadays.

RGB, a professional lab, has turned digital fully.

Popular labs like ColourLab and FotoHub use digital machines as well. :)

And digital printers scan your negatives/slides into digital formats before printing them on Silver Halide.

I have been scanning my slides for digital printing @ $0.40 each for 4R and $2 for 6R.... the expensive part is the scanner though ;p

Hmmm, maybe before you send in the pictures to print, you should ask what process the lab uses, digital or conventional.
I don't think it really make a difference for small size prints, but for 8R and above, you should consider it getting by conventional prints.

Also, some professionals want slides to print via the conventional method because they do not like their pictures corrected, which is likely to be done when you scan the slides digitally.

Prismatic, any idea which shops in Singapore print slides conventionally? :)

For conventional printing, you will get a negative together with each of your print. Although they are more expensive but subsequent printing will be cheaper as you can use your negative again. I find that conventional printing looks better than digital print. You can try K-100 at the basement of Excelsior Hotel for conventional printing.

James, this is the same shop that you said can do XPAN panoramic printing. Saw your XPAN photos taken during our recent Chinatown outing - very good!

Status
Not open for further replies.