Slides recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoRsE

Oct 9, 2003
Hailing from the East
Visit site
Hi ppl, need some opinions here.

I'll be going on a trip soon and thinking of bringing slides to shoot.

Anyone can recommend which slides would be useful for general landscape and ppl photography?

Fuji 100f or Kodak E100VS...

All advice are welcome!! Thanx in advance!!

Just passerby Konota (at Penisular) a few day ago.

They have this trial pack kind of thing. Have a few different type of slide... Maybe you wanna have a look?

Btw, it is all Fuji slide. $55 is the price tag..

im biased toward fuji, and i use provia 100f and velvia 50 exclusively. provia is super fine grain and velvia has super saturated colours.

Kodak E100S or E100G. Provia performs terribly in flat lighting and low contrast situations. Also woe to you if your camera decides to underexpose then.

trial pack from fuji is a good buy

got astia 100
velvia 50/100 X2
provia 100x2
sensia 100

6 for 50 dollars at ruby

E100VS has have a strong orange cast on skin tones, thus not suitable for portraiture, thus velvia 100F and provia 100F are more suitable. Both the fuji films has finer grain than E100VS too.

HoRsE said:
Hi ppl, need some opinions here.

I'll be going on a trip soon and thinking of bringing slides to shoot.

Anyone can recommend which slides would be useful for general landscape and ppl photography?

Fuji 100f or Kodak E100VS...

All advice are welcome!! Thanx in advance!!

VS slides would be to vivid for people, in my opinion. but great for landscapes. but then again, for landscapes, i'd rather use velvia.

people: kodak E100G, E100GX(warmer)

landscapes: velvia 50, provia100f

just my opinion, haven't shot slides in a long time, since going digital.

In my experiences, E100VS has a more neutral gray scale so for snow scenes, I think the kodak would be more suitable compared to velvias and provias.

try out all the film suggested here and see what you like best :)

i've flipped a few "compilation" landscape photography books and it seems velvia 50's the film is the most commonly used by the photogs.

for people astia should give you a more neutral skin tone than the others - if that's you what desire.

some people would use warming filters with provia when required.

In my experiences, E100VS has a more neutral gray scale so for snow scenes, I think the kodak would be more suitable compared to velvias and provias.

I agree to quite an extent. Velvia didn't work for me as well as it should, but provia was fine.

it really depends what you really want. However, if you are a new slide user, you will still be able to see the vast differences between film and slides of most brands.

provia and nothing else :thumbsup:

Hi there,
I think by now you should have realised that diff slides work for diff people. I think you should try out as many slides as possible to determine which is your fav, just like me half a year ago. :)

My personal comments
Provia 100F - Like what others say, its a fantastic multi-purpose slides! But i don't like the fact that it has a blue-ish cast if a large part of the image is blue (eg, sky). Some say that Provia 400F solves this problem, but ive not tried it as its expensive!

Velvia 100F - High end stuff. Last time i bought was around $11. Colour saturation is fantastic. Excellent for landscapes, provides excellent tones and colours. Brilliant. BUT! I don't like it for the fact that it is too saturated for my liking, perhaps a little artificial. But the grain is great.

Kodak E100VS - After my try on Velvia, decided to go for this kodak, which seemed to be the second most popular landscape slides with photogs. I love it. Priced slightly lower than the velvias. I like it for the fact that the colours are slightly more neutral. Just got back another roll from Ruby today, and realised it has a slight magenta cast to it.

Astia 100F - Pretty rare film. Seldom used it. Less than 2 rolls? But seems like it is the slide to go for portrait as others had acclaimed. However, seems like its always in low supply.

Sensia - Consumer slides. Priced much lowered than the RDPs, RVPs and E100s. Around $5-6 if im not wrong. Still, pretty good i would say. Grain quite fine (referring to Sensia 100). Neutral colours..

And the list goes on and on...

So,i would take the E100VS for landscapes. For people photography, i would take the Astia.

The exposure tolerance of slides are lower than that of film, so try to meter appropriately to prevent dark shadows/blown out highlights. For me, i tend to underexpose my slides by a little to get the colours out. :) But, thats just me. Many people do not compensate at all. :)

Awwite,
Just my newbish comments after using slides for 1/2 a year.

Regards

Hi Wryer, may I know where u got hold of Astia 100F locally?

Status
Not open for further replies.