Slides => Prints

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

fook

Hi.

Any recommended places where I can go for slides printing? Into 3R/4R perhaps.

I am told Kings Express at the first floor of Sim Lim Square does it at $0.40 per 4R. Very cheap. Unknown quality, as I have yet to try.

Colour Lab at Adelphi and most other labs charges $1 per 4R slide to print. Unknown quality also, as I have not printed my slides before. But their digital and negative prints are excellent.

Regards
CK

I've been to a few places and frankly, no one can give me decent prints from slides, absolutely nobody. Not Ruby, not RGB, not Konota. I gave up and decided to scan and print them myself, so much better. You have more control. But if you must go to somebody, I suggest Photohub.

I've got some very good prints made from Photo friend in Peninsula plaza. It is near the DBS ATM. Very good prices too. 5R from mounted slides cost me $1.50, and they print on Kodak Royal paper. One of the prints had a (very) slight blue cast, but since the machine is a Noritsu digital, the operator can correct the colour cast easily.

Colourlab in Adelphi is good but expensive. I pay around $4 (or 3.50... I forget) for 5R prints from slides. So far, they have given me the best prints, and very consistent quality. They use a Fuji frontier machine.

Originally posted by Kit
I've been to a few places and frankly, no one can give me decent prints from slides, absolutely nobody. Not Ruby, not RGB, not Konota. I gave up and decided to scan and print them myself, so much better. You have more control. But if you must go to somebody, I suggest Photohub.

I agree. RGB's prints cost me $4.50 for 5R (from slides) and the quality was below average. Konota.... the results have been OK but inconsistent. I guess when Mr. Quek takes good care and does it himself, you can expect a great print. Ruby... I've sent it to Fuji (AMK) thru them. Print from slides was of very poor quality. It didn't look like a Frontier print - they probably still use internegs.

Then I started scanning and printing them myself, but the problem is (1) Image sharpness, and (2) Print life. Most of the affordable consumer scanners I've used produce average scans - you need to play around with unsharp mask quite a bit. I find there's more detail in the Fuji frontier prints and it is very consistent. Only a few emulsions give me superb results - Velvia, Provia 100F and Fuji NPH. The Frontier scan/prints are uniformly good - even with high speed films like Press 800 (which sucks big time with my scanner).

As for print life, my Epson prints sometimes fade in 3 months. It is very inconsistent. I have a print of a tiger (@ zoo) which has faded in 3 months and become an ugly orange. Guess you gotta buy a 2000P.

If you really have to use Konota, do be careful and prepared to take some risks, read about my experience here. I must say I agree with Kit on scanning and printing yourself unless you really don't have the expertise nor the money to spare on a decent scanner & printer.

Originally posted by sriram
I've got some very good prints made from Photo friend in Peninsula plaza. It is near the DBS ATM. Very good prices too. 5R from mounted slides cost me $1.50, and they print on Kodak Royal paper.

5R prints from slides at $1.50? Is that a regular customer price or their normal price? :)
I've heard very good feedback from at least 3 different pple that their prints are good... have yet to try tho...

Colourlab in Adelphi is good but expensive. I pay around $4 (or 3.50... I forget) for 5R prints from slides. So far, they have given me the best prints, and very consistent quality. They use a Fuji frontier machine.

yup, had good 4R prints from slides last week from them, at $1 each...

Somebody also mentioned Fotohub, which I've not tried their print services, but I think they are supposed to be a pro lab?
They are also one of the few that does Kodak PhotoCD scans...

..NuTs..

Image sharpness was one of my concerns(and still is) when I started scanning slides myself. But I think its still a cheaper and more controllable way to get prints from slides. Going to labs which are inconsistant are like pouring money away. Somtimes, I have to try several times in order to get a decent print(please not, its just decent, not stunning). Its just amazing that over the years, so few or none at all had succeded in printing from slides.

Originally posted by nuts

5R prints from slides at $1.50? Is that a regular customer price or their normal price? :)
I've heard very good feedback from at least 3 different pple that their prints are good... have yet to try tho...

I think that's the normal price. Eddie Ng (ed9119) and I met there once - he gets a lot done there, and I decided to try them. I've never been there before this.

Anyone printed S8R from slides to prints before?:dunno:

Are prints from slides better than from equivilent negatives?:dunno:

Any good recommendations?

Do include locations, costs and results (quality).

Looking at previous strings, seems like Photofriend provide the most value-for-$$ quality service for slides-to-prints.

Originally posted by Bean

Anyone printed S8R from slides to prints before?:dunno:

Are prints from slides better than from equivilent negatives?:dunno:

Any good recommendations?

Do include locations, costs and results (quality).

Looking at previous strings, seems like Photofriend provide the most value-for-$$ quality service for slides-to-prints.

Of all the places I went to Photohub gave the best result. They're on the 3rd floor of OUB Plaza, next to Raffles Place MRT.

Originally posted by Kit

Of all the places I went to Photohub gave the best result. They're on the 3rd floor of OUB Plaza, next to Raffles Place MRT.

Kit,

What are the cost of 4R/5R/6R/8R/S8R slide-to-print at Photohub? :dunno:

Originally posted by nuts

yup, had good 4R prints from slides last week from them, at $1 each...

Went to photofriend 2 days ago and they quote me $1.20 for slide-to-4R-print.

Did you get special discount?

Status
Not open for further replies.