slides/negative to CD-ROM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gunjack

Jul 6, 2002
Zimbabwe
Visit site
Recently I've seen that some photo labs are able to convert slides/neg to CD-ROM. (Hehe, sorry if this is already long in the market! I'm super not updated!) What format will the files be and how much does it cost? How much can it store? And how are the results? Thanks for reading this, the ppl here are most helpful indeed!

Originally posted by Gunjack
Recently I've seen that some photo labs are able to convert slides/neg to CD-ROM. (Hehe, sorry if this is already long in the market! I'm super not updated!) What format will the files be and how much does it cost? How much can it store? And how are the results? Thanks for reading this, the ppl here are most helpful indeed!

Well, the format will most probably be jpeg. I sent my slide to Kodak for convertion and I would say that the quality is good and acceptable. Before you send your slide for processing, ask around first, bcos from my experience, the charge are rather inconsistence between labs.

Kodak will actally convert your slide into their foto Cd and a slide viewer program inside. When insert into your CD Rom drive, the slide show will automatic start up.

Thanks for your reply... got another question if u don't mind... How can shooting in slides be cheaper than negatives? I dunno coz have not used slides before... Sorry for asking such basic questions...

Thanks for your reply... got another question if u don't mind... How can shooting in slides be cheaper than negatives? I dunno coz have not used slides before... Sorry for asking such basic questions...

IMHO, I feel that doing slide is more expensive then film:

The slide usually cost 40% - 50%more then a roll of negative film.

You need a projector, or a light box and a screen to view your slide.

You also need to do mounting (unless you do it yourself)
And lastly, if you want to do a print, it may cost you about 50 cent or more per print out.

But it is good to try out slide film, it is more saturated in color and you will be surprise at the vibrant color created by the slide.

Slide is good for learning photography also, since it is "What you shoot, what you get", they dun go thru the lab for further processing unlike negative film. So you can see your own creation! (or see your own mistake)

I dun own a projector nor a screen, I have a cheap way to view slide. If you have a laptop, tilt the LCD screen parallel to the table surface, change the background to white... vola!!! you got an improvised light table!!! try it out.

Hope my answer helps :gbounce: :gbounce: :gbounce:

Originally posted by jimtong

IMHO, I feel that doing slide is more expensive then film:

The slide usually cost 40% - 50%more then a roll of negative film.

You need a projector, or a light box and a screen to view your slide.

You also need to do mounting (unless you do it yourself)
And lastly, if you want to do a print, it may cost you about 50 cent or more per print out.

But it is good to try out slide film, it is more saturated in color and you will be surprise at the vibrant color created by the slide.

Slide is good for learning photography also, since it is "What you shoot, what you get", they dun go thru the lab for further processing unlike negative film. So you can see your own creation! (or see your own mistake)

I dun own a projector nor a screen, I have a cheap way to view slide. If you have a laptop, tilt the LCD screen parallel to the table surface, change the background to white... vola!!! you got an improvised light table!!! try it out.

Hope my answer helps :gbounce: :gbounce: :gbounce:

Not true. Projector, lightbox, etc are only one-time investments, just like your camera + Lens.

Consider this:
1 roll Provia 100F : $8.50
Processing at RGB : $4.80
Total cost : $13.30

1 roll Fuji XTRA 400 : $4.00
Processing @ $0.35 per 4R, $3.50 dev charge : $15.60
total cost : $19.60

It's true that slide to print is expensive, but you don't have to print everything. For negs, you almost always have to print everything in order to see what the pics are like. Contact sheets/large index prints are not cheap either.

A laptop screen does not make for a good lightbox. The brightness isn't high enough, and you'll not see whether your slides are properly exposed. The laptop white might also not be pure white, and you will then see a colour cast on the slides.

Regards
CK

For the processing of slides at RGB, does the $4.80 include the cutting/mounting of the slides? If not, how can we view it? Or is it possible to do it ourselves? Sorry, no experience with slides at all! Might try slides if it can be cheaper than negatives...

For the processing of slides at RGB, does the $4.80 include the cutting/mounting of the slides? If not, how can we view it? Or is it possible to do it ourselves? Sorry, no experience with slides at all! Might try slides if it can be cheaper than negatives...

$4.80 is process only. You get back strips of the slide films, just like negatives. You can use a lightbox to view them. Mounting is an additional $4+ per roll, you can also buy slide mounts and do it yourself.

Regards
CK

Originally posted by ckiang

$4.80 is process only. You get back strips of the slide films, just like negatives. You can use a lightbox to view them. Mounting is an additional $4+ per roll, you can also buy slide mounts and do it yourself.

Regards
CK

I heard that some lab will be able to give you bacjk the slide within one day. Is that true? I normally have to wait 5 - 7 days :(

Originally posted by jimtong

I heard that some lab will be able to give you bacjk the slide within one day. Is that true? I normally have to wait 5 - 7 days :(

If you send to RGB, you get them back within 3 hours, within reasonable limits (like don't send them 1 hour before closing lar ;p )

Regards
Ck

Thanks.. will try their service next time :)

Originally posted by ckiang

If you send to RGB, you get them back within 3 hours, within reasonable limits (like don't send them 1 hour before closing lar ;p )

Regards
Ck

RGB is EXCELLENT in turn-around time. Just check if you got the stapler treatment from the aunty there(last frame got staplered). If got, also boh pian. =p

Originally posted by Klause
RGB is EXCELLENT in turn-around time. Just check if you got the stapler treatment from the aunty there(last frame got staplered). If got, also boh pian. =p

huh???:what: what treatment???

Status
Not open for further replies.