Slides differs from scanned copies

Status
Not open for further replies.

overcrash

Jan 30, 2002
Hougang
www.samuelgoh.net
Anyone of you experience this before ? or is this normal ?

I had my provia 100f developed and scanned.
When I got them back, using my lightbox, i can clearly see the colours were "realistic" and punchy on my slides, but on my scanned copies, the colour look so "PS-generated"...

Anyway I got them done at Ruby, anyone can comment on the scanning qualities of Ruby for slides ?

Will it be better to print direct from the slides or CD if I wanna get a printout ? Might rescan the slide if I need to...

Lastly, this is my first roll of slides, used to shoot with flims.
When shooting with slides, do you shoot normally ? or with a stop more/less ? I read somewhere about shooting -1.
Care to share your inputs ? Thanks

The scanned copies..

cs10.jpg

cs11.jpg

cs12.jpg

Well, i experienced the same too.

Got my slides scanned by RGB and when compared to the original slide, the original colors are not there. I was told generally, slides don't scan as well as negs, unless you use a drum scanner.

Btw, the trees looks familiar....Mt KK?

Ah_Seng said:
Well, i experienced the same too.

Got my slides scanned by RGB and when compared to the original slide, the original colors are not there. I was told generally, slides don't scan as well as negs, unless you use a drum scanner.

Btw, the trees looks familiar....Mt KK?

ya. mt. k. guessed you been there too ya ? :thumbsup:

anyway if thats the case, then i doubt printing from the scanned copies will be good enough as compared to printing from the slides itself , right ?

also can anyone confirm that, by using a drum scanner, the colour replication would be closer to the real thing ? i really hate this...

Nice photo ... :thumbsup:
I usually +1/3 on my f5 with matrix metering, image still can see ( But actually see no different also .... haha )
this weekend i also want to go take slide liao .... go where good ler ? hehe :kiss:

xxxger said:
Nice photo ... :thumbsup:
I usually +1/3 on my f5 with matrix metering, image still can see ( But actually see no different also .... haha )
this weekend i also want to go take slide liao .... go where good ler ? hehe :kiss:

i cant +1/3... no such options on my x700 old workhorse...
hmmm so shld i still shoot -1 ? or shld i just go to 0 and bracket from there ? or just follow the exact metering ? getting confuse...

slides IMO are best for landscape/architecture, so for me, if I am shooting, i will definitely go along this line.
since you already shot little india, u might wanna revisit the place ? or shoot geylang serai/chinatown instead ?

overcrash said:
ya. mt. k. guessed you been there too ya ? :thumbsup:

anyway if thats the case, then i doubt printing from the scanned copies will be good enough as compared to printing from the slides itself , right ?

also can anyone confirm that, by using a drum scanner, the colour replication would be closer to the real thing ? i really hate this...

Oh ya....went there in 2003. The trees in my avatar from there....heehee...

Hmm.....someone i've spoken to before adjusted his colors of scanned slides images by placing his slide(on a lightbox) beside the pc and slowly adjust the colors to match its original colors. Takes alot of patience. But the soft copy looks great !!! (after all the adjustments of course.)

Anyway, i doubt you can print directly from the slides itself anymore in Singapore. This topic was around some time back and seems like most printing are from scanned images. Of course, i would like to believe that i'm wrong. Really.

Ah_Seng said:
Oh ya....went there in 2003. The trees in my avatar from there....heehee...

Hmm.....someone i've spoken to before adjusted his colors of scanned slides images by placing his slide(on a lightbox) beside the pc and slowly adjust the colors to match its original colors. Takes alot of patience. But the soft copy looks great !!! (after all the adjustments of course.)

Anyway, i doubt you can print directly from the slides itself anymore in Singapore. This topic was around some time back and seems like most printing are from scanned images. Of course, i would like to believe that i'm wrong. Really.

the last i saw, simon@grace still develops it.
4R for $1 ea. So if you wanna blow to 8R, i think it will cost a huge bomb... haha.

but then again can you / anyone confirm on that part, whereby using a drum scanner, we can get accurate scans ? if not how am I ever going to develop this slides with my blow-out scanned pics ?

overcrash said:
i cant +1/3... no such options on my x700 old workhorse...
hmmm so shld i still shoot -1 ? or shld i just go to 0 and bracket from there ? or just follow the exact metering ? getting confuse...

slides IMO are best for landscape/architecture, so for me, if I am shooting, i will definitely go along this line.
since you already shot little india, u might wanna revisit the place ? or shoot geylang serai/chinatown instead ?

I think if you taking alot sky .... you can try use centerweight metering ...
but if you dun want your foreground to look so dark .... +1/2 lor ... but of course, -1 will make your sky or sunset look more dramatic lor ... :kiss:
ai ya ... i am just a newbie .... i think buy a good $$$ camera, and set everything to AUTO is more safe and easy .... haha :lovegrin: agree?

xxxger said:
I think if you taking alot sky .... you can try use centerweight metering ...
but if you dun want your foreground to look so dark .... +1/2 lor ... but of course, -1 will make your sky or sunset look more dramatic lor ... :kiss:
ai ya ... i am just a newbie .... i think buy a good $$$ camera, and set everything to AUTO is more safe and easy .... haha :lovegrin: agree?

hmmm u newbie meh ? haha
anyway i am already using center weightage metering.
right now, what i headache about is how to get a good scan from slide, and also how to develop from slide cost effectively and also with a good quality. :think:

headache sia...

Hi,

i can understand your anxiety on this.

While i cannot confirm becos i've never had my slides scanned using a drum scanner before, what i know are info "dug" from the web.

You might want to do a search on this issue. Anyway, from what i've read before, scans from drum scanners are very expensive, charging by per slide.

Example:
http://www.photo.net/photo/slide-scanners.html

Ah_Seng said:
Hi,

i can understand your anxiety on this.

While i cannot confirm becos i've never had my slides scanned using a drum scanner before, what i know are info "dug" from the web.

You might want to do a search on this issue. Anyway, from what i've read before, scans from drum scanners are very expensive, charging by per slide.

Example:
http://www.photo.net/photo/slide-scanners.html

i think a member here actually uses drum scanner to scan pics. and he do provide that service to cs members. so i might try his service. per slide ok la, since i only need to print 2-3 of them. just scanned 2 - 3 slides lo. hehe.
so far , u had any prints from slides yet ?

Ya....printed a few of my scanned images.
But the colors are abit off from the original slides.

Could have corrected them in PS, but my PS skills also jialat....:sweat:

Maybe can try calling Kex (96828667). I normally get him to scan my color negs and b/w film.
Very friendly guy and does great scanning.

hehe .... OT abit ...
you both talk the whole night ... tired ...? :kiss:
come ... we have a cup of coffee first and continues ..... hehe :lovegrin:
ah seng ... what you want ?
overcrash .... drink what ? :bsmilie:

Wah...you also follow Mc Donald's ah? 24hrs delivery?
I want Original ice-blended with whipped cream can or not?

Ah_Seng said:
Ya....printed a few of my scanned images.
But the colors are abit off from the original slides.

Could have corrected them in PS, but my PS skills also jialat....:sweat:

Maybe can try calling Kex (96828667). I normally get him to scan my color negs and b/w film.
Very friendly guy and does great scanning.

think no choice but to ps ba... sucks man... slide look so nice... turn out like that...
i will try kex as well.. see how it goes..

xxxgirl : i want teh o ka dai! have a not ?

anyway i going to slp le, still gotta work tmr.
hope more replies to my woes when i check cs tmr.
nite all

Ah_Seng said:
Wah...you also follow Mc Donald's ah? 24hrs delivery?
I want can or not?

Can ... minimum $20 ...
what favour you want ? Mocha ? give you a big one ... put on the pail ... $20, thank you :kiss:
ok, ... continues yours discussion ... while enjoy the coffee :lovegrin:

overcrash said:
think no choice but to ps ba... sucks man... slide look so nice... turn out like that...
i will try kex as well.. see how it goes..

xxxgirl : i want teh o ka dai! have a not ?

anyway i going to slp le, still gotta work tmr.
hope more replies to my woes when i check cs tmr.
nite all

Ok ... teh o ka dai for you .... but also $20 :lovegrin:
Good night then ... :kiss:
If scare drink liao cannot sleep ... tomorrow then drink ... :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.