Slider Users Gathering #3 (non users welcomed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

theITguy

Sep 19, 2003
In this small world
Visit site
Hi guys and gals, the slider user gathering is back after a break for me as I need to look for jobs, photo shoots (if not how to share right?) etc. As the response does not seems quite good (I know I am not a crowd puller), I will just make it a once per month gathering, on the 3rd Thursday of every month. The location will also be changed to Funan Foodcourt at basement, with brighter lightings.

Nowadays I seldom find people talking about slides film, mostly talking in Digital, or to an extend B&W. I find that in fact the number of people shooting slides are a niche number, in Singapore at least. As digital becomes part of our lives, traditional stuff may be harder to find. For example you will not be able to get a print direct from slides locally, only by scanning and printing digitally or using the internegative way for what I know.

I am organising this gathering for the following reasons:
1. To promote the use of slide film, be it 35mm, Medium Format or Large Format
2. To consolidate information about local and overseas information about slide
3. To provide an opportunity for people to actually sit down and view the pictures on slide, than looking at the dumb computer ;p
4. To provide a channel for critique to the photos we took (people like me no scanner nor able to afford scanning slides)
5. To know more friends

For those interested in the gathering:
Time: 7pm
Date: 17rd March 2005, Thursday

The list is not restricted to slides users only. All are welcomed.
Please leave your nick / name in the list if you are interested:
1.theITguy / Christopher (real name optional lah)

Stuff to bring for those shooting slides (those not just come lah):
1. Your Slides
2. Your Lightbox
3. Your Lupe if you want
4. Your Interest

Any suggestions are welcome here or PM if you are shy shy :bsmilie:

My face:
19.jpg

Thanks
Christopher

Great to hear that it is on Thursday! Onz!!! Will be bringing my slides too, will you bring yours too?

2.sumball

theITGuy, you really a full supporter of film and a very hardworking one. Well done!

whoelse, you going?

wah sumball, pretty sad only me and you. How about a candle light dinner together? We can always change to a more posh place :hearts:

I'm not a slide user but will give some support.

2.sumball
3.Tim

Have mentioned this before, no point gathering around in a food court to talk ****. How can you view slides in a food court? If you are willing to organise something with a program, like the Circle of Light gathering, more people might come.

Wai Leong
===
theITguy said:
wah sumball, pretty sad only me and you. How about a candle light dinner together? We can always change to a more posh place :hearts:

waileong said:
Have mentioned this before, no point gathering around in a food court to talk ****. How can you view slides in a food court? If you are willing to organise something with a program, like the Circle of Light gathering, more people might come.

Wai Leong
===
I agree with Wai Leong about this. Foodcourt is not the best place to view slides, although not completely inconvenient. Check out if any group has a suitable venue to use or how other groups like Circle of Light conduct their's or could even gather at somebody's place. Viewers bring their own lightbox and lupe. Don't need a slide projector. Slide projectors means need mounted slides, which isn't applicable to most slides I'm sure. Not many mount all their slides.

I'm from PSS n have joined their friday clinics before. You'll be surprised that despite the limitations of lupes for a critique session, it is still very feasible. Lupes are used only for details. Composition, lighting and colour are well seen using naked eye. It helps if you've either a big lightbox or at least several lightbox and lupes, so its helpful if those who have bring them down.

tim said:
I'm not a slide user but will give some support.

2.sumball
3.Tim

Put me down, I will join you guys - great believer in slides.
2.sumball
3.Tim
4.Richard

maybe someone can bring a laptop
cause i love opening notepad and view my slides from there.
;p

Hi all, thanks for the feedback and advice. Think this will be the last gathering of such, since there are not much interest in it or having the free time to come.

Christopher

We can always make it a private outing instead of putting it here. No point feeling so sad or down as I have told u in the very beginning, remember what I said to you?

Cheers!

2.sumball
3.Tim
4.Richard
5.Locksley
6.ashleyy

Yoz! I'll try to come, great gathering the last time, lotsa things to learn.
Sorry to break up yr candlelight dinner... :sticktong :devil:

great effort.

film, slides - to me they're still a very integral part of photography, despite many people believing in digital.

it may be ironic that an "ITguy" is promoting the use of film.. but just for that matter i'm already gonna give him many thumbs up.

i'd love to join you guys but i'm not free. and well.. discussing photography ain't really my cup of tea.. haha...

:)

Need bring anything?

I can bring my lightbox ( small one ) & loupe 22X and a normal magnifying glass.
Perhaps I can bring some of my sildes collection :)

2.sumball
3.Tim
4.Richard
5.Locksley
6.ashleyy
7.Octane69

Great effort to promote slides from someone who address himself as theITguy. :think:

Great effort, wish I could join... :embrass:

Status
Not open for further replies.