Slide to print

Status
Not open for further replies.

jitkiat

Jul 16, 2004
Recently I went to Tiong Bahru to print some of my slides and discovered that KC Color Lab was gone. So I went to Photofriends in Peninsula Plaza and the guy there told me that he can do slide to print for 4R, 6R and 8R. The price for 6R is at SGD 2.00. It is much cheaper than what KC Color Lab used to charge. When I collected the prints, I was surprised that the 6R prints are cropped significantly. The guy in the lab explained that all 6R prints are cropped. According to him, if I were to print 4R or 8R then there will be also slight cropping due to the slide mount. He further explained that the slides were first scanned and then printed digitally. The prints are ok but I really don't like the cropping. I am sure 6R prints at KC is not cropped.

Anybody can offer an explanation?

if u are referring to 35mm slides,the image ratio is 3:2
a 6R(6"x8") image ratio is 4:3 which is similar to most digicams.
cropping will definitely occur if u try to print a rectangle image onto a squarish paper.

Hmm, probably KC was using non-standard 6R size then. Is there such thing called direct printing (non-digital) and digital printing? What are the differences in terms of quality?

jitkiat said:
Hmm, probably KC was using non-standard 6R size then. Is there such thing called direct printing (non-digital) and digital printing? What are the differences in terms of quality?

i enquired abt this ard 2yrs ago at another KC colourlab (far east) which also disappeared into thin air. they told me that it was done by transferring the image onto some inter-negative layer, followed by printing from the inter-negative image. its actually a not-so-direct slide printing in that sense but is essentially none digital. colours are vibrant and to some extent, a bit unreal (maybe its the paper's rendition of the slide's colours). i cannot comment digital slide prints as i have not done any myself.

i do not know if this is really what the person meant when she tried to explain to me. those were the days when digital printing is not a widespread thingy.

last time direct printing is call R3 processing or cibachrome which makes no more business sense as digital printing is more cost effective and offers more image manipulations.

hi kex, so does what i have mentioned make any sense? care to explain how R3 process is done? (juz interested to noe more). =)

R3 is just to recopy the slide using a special type of film knows as internegative film and print them onto photo paper then process.
usually the result is like wad the lab says,more contrasty and sharpness not that good..

understood! thanks.

OT: will visit ur lab for negative scanning once i've fixed the hole in my wallet!

yellow_kiwi said:
understood! thanks.

OT: will visit ur lab for negative scanning once i've fixed the hole in my wallet!
:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

dun say until i charge a bomb for scanning leh :bsmilie:

kex said:
R3 is just to recopy the slide using a special type of film knows as internegative film and print them onto photo paper then process.
usually the result is like wad the lab says,more contrasty and sharpness not that good..

No wonder my prints from Velvia slides always appear darker (increased contrast). Actually the digital printing from my slides done at photofriends is not bad -> added white border FOC (digital manipulation)... except for the cropping ... guess will go for 8R next time. Thanks for all the replies.

KC shifted to Ginza.
Go KT at chinatown, cheap and good, friendly meimei to handle your print too.

kex said:
:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

dun say until i charge a bomb for scanning leh :bsmilie:

no lah, i dun mean that. i juz sent 5 rolls of film for developing... so muz let wallet recover a bit then send negs for scanning. ur px gd so i decided to switch from the PP colorlab to urs liao.

Anywhere to develop slides near the east or city area (near MRT) ?

ninelives said:
KC has moved to 6th Ave.

I just went to process a roll of slide film and get them mounted. However, I would like to get a hard copy and the shop process my slides told me there is no longer any printing shop does direct printing for slide film. As this is my first attempt to slide film, can someone kind enough to direct me where I can print hardcopy from my slide film and cost. Anybody know exact location for KC at 6th Ave or suggest alternative shop. thank so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.