slide shot

Status
Not open for further replies.

You step down 1/3 to 1 stop for slides if you want the colours to saturate.

Shoot as per normal to be safe. If you need to/want to, shoot 1 frame normally, 1 frame 1/3 stop underexposed to increase saturation. Don't bother about filters at this stage.

Regards
CK

doesn't underexposing by 1/3 shot give problems to consumer slide scanners?

Rather than just giving you the answer "No", I think the most important thing is understanding the behaviour of your choosen slide film under difference exposure setting, Then meter the scene to make the slide appear as what you see in your mind.

There is no point talking about pre under or over exposing a scene if you always use "Evaluation Mode", the result always vary in difference lighting and sometimes you won't even understand why such exposure values are choosen by your camera.

On the other hand, there is no need to pre under or overexposing a scene if you know exactly what you are doing in "Manual Mode", you can adjust the exposure to shoot a Low key or Hi key picture depending on your need :p

i always under 1/2 stop, just nice ,over 1/2 stop and over 1 stop..........never miss one........:D

Something to take note in taking positive film (slides) as compared to negative film:

When using slide film, the "rule-of-thumb" is to expose for the highlight (when using spot or center-weighted metering) and let the mid-tone/shadow to take care of its own.

It works the other way round when using negative film.

I would agree with jasonpgc.

In any form of photography, the rule is there is no rule. Just like any art form, different exposure tell different stories.

Depending on how you want your picture to turn out, you can set any settings, as long as you capture the mood you want.

I learnt it from the hard way... under exposing all my slides in Tibet after an advice given by my father (go down half a stop or under-expose a little) who has over 35 years of photo taking experience. The end results was grey sky, dull colour... and black faces... Not that my dad is not right, but different people has different photography style. It is hard to set a rule for anyone to follow. Especially style is not something that you can cut & paste.

Forget about filters (like what ckiang has said), shoot as per normal, capture different colours and shades and experiment with contrast. Slide works best for high contrast pictures...

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.