Slide scans to digital format at colorlab.

Status
Not open for further replies.

shmott

Mar 24, 2002
Sin jia por lor...
Hi,
Had my slides scanned at colorlab.Just wondering is it normal that the digital format isn't as contrasty and colors are off especially the bright colors.Underexposed slides are darker on digital and over exposed slides are washed out on digital.Any body have this problem?Or is it normal to experience this kinda quality when slides are scanned into digital format?Thanks for input in advance.

Originally posted by ckiang
Colour Lab slide scans are not too good, suggest you go Photo Friend at Penisula instead.

Regards
CK
Hi CKiang,
Thanks for feedback.So will they scan mounted slides?And how much do they charge?Thanks.

But 1 question is whether scans from slides (from a reasonably good scanner) require much digital manipulation in PS?Or just normal Auto level,contrast,colors to get what you see on a light box?

Originally posted by shmott

Hi CKiang,
Thanks for feedback.So will they scan mounted slides?And how much do they charge?Thanks.

But 1 question is whether scans from slides (from a reasonably good scanner) require much digital manipulation in PS?Or just normal Auto level,contrast,colors to get what you see on a light box?

A resonably good scanner will get you close enough. The ones I got from Photo Friend are pretty good. For mounted slides at 3072 x 2048, they charge $1.80 per slide.

Somehow Colour Lab slide scans are not so good, dunno why. They use a high end Sony high speed slide scanner. However, sometimes they are not too bad, I just have to bring up the levels a bit. I asked them about this and they said they scan on the "under" side so you don't get blown highlights, etc. They are also conservative on the sharpening. Anyway, on their machine, it looks okay. So could be that ours are not well calibrated.

The negative scans by Colour Lab are excellent though. For that, the Frontier 350/370 digital minilab is used.

Regards
CK

A resonably good scanner will get you close enough. The ones I got from Photo Friend are pretty good. For mounted slides at 3072 x 2048, they charge $1.80 per slide.

Somehow Colour Lab slide scans are not so good, dunno why. They use a high end Sony high speed slide scanner. However, sometimes they are not too bad, I just have to bring up the levels a bit. I asked them about this and they said they scan on the "under" side so you don't get blown highlights, etc. They are also conservative on the sharpening. Anyway, on their machine, it looks okay. So could be that ours are not well calibrated.

The negative scans by Colour Lab are excellent though. For that, the Frontier 350/370 digital minilab is used.

Regards
CK

You are right abt the sharpening .Been thinking whether or not to invest in a slide scanner.. hehee.. but dont think so lar.. anyway about the Photo friend Scanning service.. is there a minimum number of slides scan per cd?

Originally posted by shmott

You are right abt the sharpening .Been thinking whether or not to invest in a slide scanner.. hehee.. but dont think so lar.. anyway about the Photo friend Scanning service.. is there a minimum number of slides scan per cd?

Mininum order is $10 I think, so that's around 5 slides?

Regards
CK

Mininum order is $10 I think, so that's around 5 slides?

Regards
CK
Ok thanks Ckiang.Will check Photo friend out.

Status
Not open for further replies.