Slide mount DIY - how?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomshen

Feb 20, 2002
Singapore
Can someone advise me about this, e.g. where to buy the plastic mounters, what kind of tools are needed, and the process.

Many thx!

Originally posted by tomshen
Can someone advise me about this, e.g. where to buy the plastic mounters, what kind of tools are needed, and the process.

Many thx!

Most stores should have the slide mounts. Forgot how much I paid for mine.

Basically, what you need are a pair of sharp scissors and nimble fingers. Cotton gloves can help to prevent fingerprints on the slides.

Cut the slides on the frame divider (having a lightbox helps a lot), then mount it into the slide mount (method varies), then move on to the next frame.

Alternatively, you can also buy one of those fancy slide mounting devices which can cut/mount for you, and comes with built-in light and magnifier. Again, not sure how much this costs.

Regards
CK

Me use this cutter meant for cutting photos. Nice straight lines. :D (BTW, you don't have to buy them from a photo equipment shop, can try the art shops)

Slide mounts, I prefer the 100 for $7 at Fotoguide. Easy to open and mount.

Originally posted by YSLee
Me use this cutter meant for cutting photos. Nice straight lines. :D (BTW, you don't have to buy them from a photo equipment shop, can try the art shops)

Slide mounts, I prefer the 100 for $7 at Fotoguide. Easy to open and mount.

Which kind of cutter? My "cutter for cutting photos" is a rotary one, not easy to use on slides. :p

10054_largev.jpg

Regards
CK

Eh, that's what I use too!

I'm more worried about dirt than scratching. :D

I bought "K" brand plastic mounts w/o glass at $10 for 100 from fotoguide, just wondering if YS Lee is buying the same thing?

I got

- Kaiser Slide Cutter ($50)
- reflecta Plastic Mount 200 pcs ($13)

at fotoguide ...

Originally posted by megaweb
I got

- Kaiser Slide Cutter ($50)
- reflecta Plastic Mount 200 pcs ($13)

at fotoguide ...

How does the Kaiser Slide Cutter thingie work? You roll the film strip into the lightbox/magnifier part, cut, then? Do you need to remove the cut frame, and put it into the mount yourself or will that gadget do it for ya? :)

Regards
CK

Originally posted by ckiang

How does the Kaiser Slide Cutter thingie work? You roll the film strip into the lightbox/magnifier part, cut, then? Do you need to remove the cut frame, and put it into the mount yourself or will that gadget do it for ya? :)

Regards
CK

ya .. insert the strip into the box and turn the knob to roll the film to the indicator and cut it ... yes remove it the cut slide and mount to the mounting manually ...

megaweb, can you post a picture for the slide cutter :p

I'm using scissors and it is pretty unsafe.

err... forgot the address of photoguide:embrass: can give me?

Thanks pal, this looks a lot safer than the print cutter. Argh.... my $50........

Originally posted by megaweb

look like this

dia.jpg

http://kaiser-fototechnik.de/en/produkte08.htm

So it does not feed the film directly into the slide mount on the right, and when you remove, you just snap the 2 parts together? :( Then I might as well use scissors. ;p

And hey, the picture looks like a strip of negatives. :)

Regards
CK

Originally posted by ckiang

So it does not feed the film directly into the slide mount on the right, and when you remove, you just snap the 2 parts together? :( Then I might as well use scissors. ;p

And hey, the picture looks like a strip of negatives. :)

Regards
CK

OOps ........ does not have mounting .. just the cutter part ..

Status
Not open for further replies.