Slide Development and Scanning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tweek

Jan 17, 2002
East
www.weekai.com
After reading the threads here regarding slide scanning and development, I took the first roll of slide of my life and proceeded to Adephi/Peninsula this afternoon.

First, went to ColourLab at Adephi, scanning costs $9.90 per roll for low res and development about $6. But they can only get it done by Thursday evening, and I thought it was a bit long, so I declined.

Then went to Konota at Peninsula, scanning costs $1.20 per slide (!!!) and development at $6.50. Same thing, ready by Thursday. I declined again.

Last of all, tried Photo Friend at Peninsula. Scanning at high res costs $18 per roll and development at $6.50. Ready by Friday! Tired of looking around already, and since ckiang recommended photofriend, so I went for it.

Guys, was that a reasonable price and reasonable turnover time? Even for development alone, he told me can be ready only by Thursday. How come some of us here managed to get slides developed in one day?

I get my slides processed at KJ @ Tiong Bahru. Drop it in before 1pm on weekends, and I can collect at 5pm same day. Costs $4 per roll without mounting too (normal $4.50, got discount coz always go there)

Originally posted by Lennier
I get my slides processed at KJ @ Tiong Bahru. Drop it in before 1pm on weekends, and I can collect at 5pm same day. Costs $4 per roll without mounting too (normal $4.50, got discount coz always go there)

Do they do scanning?

Originally posted by Lennier

Is that Tiong Bahru Plaza? Hmm maybe can go there next time. How's the quality, any problems so far? And do they do scanning?

Originally posted by Tweek

Is that Tiong Bahru Plaza? Hmm maybe can go there next time. How's the quality, any problems so far? And do they do scanning?

Yea Tiong Bahru plaza
2nd floor its a Kodak shop

They do E6 processing there..
4.50 for normal time... sometimes in 3 hours its done.. but don't bank on it

1hr process at 150% of price

They don't do scanning there, but they pass it to a 3rd party to develope and scan. Takes almost 5 days the last time I did it. I believe its 3rd party cos the only time I sent for process + scan, the sleeves was different. The scan quality.. well... so so... not spectecular.. btw they include an index print fot the slides

hee hee finally u took slides :D

thanx doc! I'll try it next time. :)

Yup Keito, just tried one roll, dunno the results yet. :D

I've tried Colour Lab's slide development, they are pretty okay, but the slide scans are kinda disappointing. Colour Lab can usually give me 1 day turnaround, if I don't send too many rolls.

Photo Friend's turnaround is usually 2 days, and I think they do it on the 2nd day. Coz when I had a batch of slides for them to scan, I called them up on the first day and they said they are not ready.

Scanning individual mounted slides is usually expensive, ranging from $1+ (e.g. $1.80 at Photo Friend for high res) to $32 for the same resolution at RGB. I forgot what Colour Lab charges for mounted slides, my price list is in office.

King's Express at 1st floor SLS also does scanning. Forgot the rates liao, but when I asked the last time, it's about the cheapest you can get. Have not tried them though.

Regards
CK

Hi

if u're not into scanning, slide developement is best done at RGB Colour. it's a pantry $4.80 and guaranteed within 2 hours - there's no such thing as express there - everything can collect within same day ;) The people at the lab are also pretty friendly, and it's refreshing when they say "u can come back at 3 pm" instead of the usual "collect on thursday" or something.

U can get it within 3 hours, even with 2 stop push. And the best thing is, pushing is a flat rate of 50% more, so in total, even if u push 2 stops, u can get your slides back on the same day, 3 hours later, at only $7.20 per roll.

Try asking for that at other labs :)
Some even charge $3 per stop pushed, so if u push 2 stops, right away $6 gone for 1 roll......and u can't even get back the same day.......

woa, thanks reddawn! Now comes the dumb question...where is RGB Colour? :embrass:

Hi tweek,

I sent my 3 rolls to RGB color in bugis and the result was good. I haven't tried other labs though :cool:

Chris

woa, thanks reddawn! Now comes the dumb question...where is RGB Colour? :embrass:

RGB is near Bugis Junction, located at Beach Centre (a corner building facing Beach Road).

You cross the road from Bugis Junction, towards the Apple Strudel at the corner. Then walk straight down the long road of old shophouses (good chance to finish off those last few frames) and at the end of the long stretch u will find RGB.

btw they are a pro lab.

Originally posted by docile

They don't do scanning there, but they pass it to a 3rd party to develope and scan. Takes almost 5 days the last time I did it. I believe its 3rd party cos the only time I sent for process + scan, the sleeves was different. The scan quality.. well... so so... not spectecular.. btw they include an index print fot the slides

I think the 3rd party in question is Colorlab at Adelphi... if I remember correctly I got back sleeves that had Colorlab's name on it. Nothing to rave about scan quality either, but convenient enough.

Originally posted by igpenguin

I think the 3rd party in question is Colorlab at Adelphi... if I remember correctly I got back sleeves that had Colorlab's name on it. Nothing to rave about scan quality either, but convenient enough.

Colour Lab's scans are so-so, and looks a bit underexposed on PCs. On their Macs, they looked okay. Probably some calibration issue. They use a Sony film scanner (UY-S90 I think) which can scan a whole roll at 3072x2048 in about 6 minutes.

I just took a look at my slides on the lightbox again, and the Photo Friend scans are also darker than the slides themselves, maybe not as much as Colour Lab's. According to Richard, Kings Express (SLS) scans also turns out underexposed, dunno if it's the norm for slide scanning or not.

Regards
CK

OT: Reddawn, it's paltry, you must be hungry and thinking of the pantry. :)

Some scanning price quotes from KJ Tiong Bahru:

'Hi-Res' scanning at 2048X3072 pixels - 2223DPI

New roll of film - $12.00
(Processing + CD + Index print)

New roll of slides - $13.00
(Processing + CD + Index print)

From processed negatives or slides - $15.00 (Per 40 images)
(CD + Index print)

From selected images on negatives or slides - $1.00 per image (min 10 images)
(CD + Index print)

and err... i don't work for KJ. :)

Originally posted by docile

Yea Tiong Bahru plaza
2nd floor its a Kodak shop

They do E6 processing there..
4.50 for normal time... sometimes in 3 hours its done.. but don't bank on it

1hr process at 150% of price

Since this is a dscussion on price, location and quality of services, I will move it over to "Consumers' Corner".

Thanks.

Yo Tweek,

I go to RGB for all my slides developing needs. Like they said, collect within 2 hrs, friendly and chatty staff and students get 15% discount = S$4.08/roll unmounted (sleeve). +50% for push/pull applies as usual.

Red Dawn mentioned one of the 2 RGB labs. The other one is at Winsland House at Somerset. Directly opposite Orchard police station. Perhaps this one more accessible.

But RGB is not without its down sides. Some of the more prominent complaints are:
1. Occasional staple holes in your slides :eek: Very rare though. Only kena once.
2. Expensive any other service besides sleeve slides developing. So I only go to them to develop slides.

But I still frequent them cos the pros outweigh the cons.

You need to scan slides? I have lobang. FOC. Who can beat this price huh? :)

Call/sms me. Not my scanner, btw. Up to 2,400dpi. More than enough for your needs.

Originally posted by ckiang

I just took a look at my slides on the lightbox again, and the Photo Friend scans are also darker than the slides themselves, maybe not as much as Colour Lab's. According to Richard, Kings Express (SLS) scans also turns out underexposed, dunno if it's the norm for slide scanning or not.

Regards
CK

Yes, it's the norm it seems. The King's Express guy told me that even Fuji drum scans does turn up one stop underexposed. However they tweak it for you, so you won't know. I found out because I wanted the raw output, not the tweaked output.

Originally posted by rayman
You need to scan slides? I have lobang. FOC. Who can beat this price huh? :)

Call/sms me. Not my scanner, btw. Up to 2,400dpi. More than enough for your needs.

hey thanks rayman. Yup next time I'm gonna develop at either tiong bahru or RGB already, since significantly cheaper and faster. Wah, you got scanning lobang ah!! Very good very good...hehheh...thanks for the offer hor! If I need I will call you. So have you decided which day to go for the nightshoot?

Status
Not open for further replies.