SLCC Basic Photography Course Feb 13 (Sunday)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PLRBEAR

Nov 15, 2003
Pasir Ris
Visit site
Hello folks! In view of the overwhelming response of the previous Basic Photograhy Course at Stanley Lim Colour Centre, i've decided to start another class right after the completion of the current intake.

I started out on the wrong foot 15yrs ago, thinking that i'd done it all with self-taught photography skills. However, upon receiving professional instruction further down the road, i realized that i was doing many things wrongly. As a result, i now what it feels like to be on the "dark side" and literally in the dark about many things regarding photography. I am currently a full-time professional photographer, with experience in wedding photography, commercial shoots and makeover photography. The course will include the following, but is not limited to:

1)Inner & Outer workings of cameras
2)Factors involved in exposure & their effects
3)What lenses do to your pictures
4)Composition & the acceptable picture
5)Maintenance

This is a rough outline of the course. S$200 for 4 lessons, all to be held outdoors for a total of approx 20hrs. We'll do day and/or night shoots on Sundays. Make up lessons/remedial lessons will be provided if you miss any/anything. We live, we learn, we share, and make our dreams come true. Lessons may stretch beyond 5hrs per session, so pls be prepared to stay outdoors for long periods. Digital/Film cameras are welcome, and MUST allow full manual control. If you have any difficulties on the equipment, please speak to me.

On a final note, i encourage all beginners to take part in this course. You bugger up your foundation, and you'll be headed nowhere with little or no direction. Build up a solid base, and we'll go from there!

Course Syllabus
1)Inner & Outer workings of cameras
- What kind of cameras we have out there
- What they're used for
- Fundamental SLR parts & their operation
- What sort of SLR do you need?
- Basic features your SLR should have & why

2)Factors involved in exposure & their effects
- Shutter speed
- Aperture
- Film
- How to manipulate these three basic factors of exposure to create your photograph
- Lighting conditions and what how you can harness the power of natural light

3)What lenses do to your pictures
- Types of lenses available
- Effects of Wide-angle lenses
- Zoom lenses and what they do for you
- Perspective & View Angle

4)Composition & the acceptable picture
- Rule of Thirds & breaking the rules of photography
- Subject focus
- Framing etc

5)Maintenance
- What you need to maintain your equipment
- What you can do to ensure that your equipment doesn't fail sooner than it should

If anyone needs more information, pls do not hesitate to contact me via PM

Stanley Lim Colour Centre is a member of the Singapore Photographic Trade Association, and is authorized to present certificates to its photography course participants with the SPTA's endorsement.

Class Schedule is as follows:

Feb 13, 2005 (10am - 2pm)
Feb 20, 2005 (10am-2pm)
Feb 27, 2005 (5pm - 9pm)
March 6, 2005 (5pm - 9pm)

Enrollment for the BPC is capped at 6:

1)
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)

Reserve list:
1)
2)
3)

Those on the reserve list will be notified 1 week prior to starting, as payment will have been made by the confirmed participants then. If there are no open slots, those on reserve will form another class.

Yes, those who miss the pass intake, just don't miss this. SLCC will make sure that Amos will try his very best to share his photography knowledge with you guys.

You will also have a certificate after you completed the course. Hurry! Hands legs fast fast, don't miss this again.

For those of you who wish to see what other students have done in the past, i'm preparing a website containing their work. It'll give you a good idea of what we're trying to do in the BPC.

At the same time, i'd appreciate it if those interested can meet up with me prior to the course, to break the ice and allow me to familiarize myself with your goals for photography. :thumbsup: :)

Some folks have asked me if i provide makeup lessons if they miss any of the classes. I do.
One of my students is an air stewardess, and due to her tight schedules, i've had to do a special schedule for her half the time.
I have no issues with that, as long as i can ensure that my students get the best care possible and progress. :thumbsup:

Hello everyone!

The online album for SLCC's Basic Photography Course is up. Photographs in the album are from my latest graduating batch, where we had our final class at the Singapore Zoological Gardens.

I will be adding images from past students in the next week or two, so stay tuned for more! :)

Please click on the link:

SLCC Basic Photography Course Online Album

For those who are interested in photography and lack of the basic foundation, this course will help you capture your photo right. :thumbsup:

1) Richard Tan
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)

Reserve list:
1)
2)
3)

Those on the reserve list will be notified 1 week prior to starting, as payment will have been made by the confirmed participants then. If there are no open slots, those on reserve will form another class.

1) Richard Tan
2) TTS
3)
4)
5)
6)

Reserve list:
1)
2)
3)

C'mon! Keep those enquiries coming in. It's great to hear so many people interested in my course. Also helps that i've managed to touch so many people with basic photography. Let's spread the word! :)

PLRBEAR said:
C'mon! Keep those enquiries coming in. It's great to hear so many people interested in my course. Also helps that i've managed to touch so many people with basic photography. Let's spread the word! :)
Take it from a former student, course well worth taking... made photography much more interesting after gone through the course. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

../azul123

Well... Am one of the student now Jan batch. :cool:

About this course. Well worth the money spent to take, cause this would built a strong basic foundation in your path of photography whether if you are a hobbist shooter or heading towards a professional career. You would be surprise by sometime the things we did wrong in our shoots and by just a few understanding makes a different the way a picture will turn out. By the end of the day, you would be excited by the quality and more satisfying pictures you are taking.

PLRBear himself? He's a wonderful friendly coach you can find. He is willing go in personal guide to help you really learn photograhy and expand your horizon in this area. If you are really 'zero' in this field, no worries, he will be ready to come to your level and personally teach you so that you can really learn in this course. All these you might thought that it might be a breeze, but I must warn you that standards are emphasis, and definitely you'll have to gets the mark, as this is not just any photograph lesson that you will gets by without learning things. :nono:

PM PLRBear, I'm sure you'll finds out more what is said here... ;)

1) Richard Tan
2) TTS
3) Woo
4)
5)
6)

Reserve list:
1)
2)
3)

ATTN: Will need the e-mail addresses of participants in this class. Please PM me. Thanks! :)

Dear all,

Thinking of taking up photography course. Seriously considering between yours and that by PSS. Need to ask a few questions:

1. Compared to PSS, why is your price higher?
2. You mentioned that we need a camera for full manual control. If I do not wish to get one just for the course, possible? Cos I am thinking of the D70.

I will be posting something in PSS threads too, as I am looking for information. Please do not be offended if you do come across my post there.

blursotong said:
Dear all,

Thinking of taking up photography course. Seriously considering between yours and that by PSS. Need to ask a few questions:

2. You mentioned that we need a camera for full manual control. If I do not wish to get one just for the course, possible? Cos I am thinking of the D70.

I will be posting something in PSS threads too, as I am looking for information. Please do not be offended if you do come across my post there.

Erm...if im not wrong.... wat PLBEAR meant 'full manual control' is the manual mode on most SLR/DSLR ie D70 also have manual mode which allows u to have full control of the camera settings...

I wish its cheaper too.... poor student like me wish to attend but budget constraint....will have till wait till i start working then :D

UPz for PLBEAR! :D
Cheers!

blursotong said:
Dear all,

We will not compare the prices with the other institution. It's ok for consumer to compare prices. We have done a market research on prices and we offer very competitive price. The most important aspect is that you learn something out from it. With some students already recommended PLRBEAR to be a good instructor, so we have no doubt about him at all.

Pay higher price does not mean you will learn better but we have the confidence that the price you invest is worth every cent. We have a personnel standard that we keep. If we think PLRBEAR in not capable to conduct this course, we would not have invited him at all.

Well the decision is up to you as different institution have different way to conduct the courses. We always find the best way to input our experience to all our participants. And we have no regrets about it since day 1. If you have the funds, by all mean go to both. We will never force but prefer to explain what our courses is all about.

We only accept a certain number of participants for our courses (part of the reason why it's a little higher than the other institution) so that it is easier for us to concentrate. Accepting too many students with too many instructors in a class will make the class a little messy. So as you can see the other courses that me and Stanley is conducting is always a max of 10 per class.

Imagine 20-25 students per class. Let say the class duration is 4 hours with a total of 20 students. 240mins divided by 20. 12 minutes a student. What can you or the instructor teach or talk to you in that space of 12 minutes? Don't forget the instructor needs to intro himself, show off his works which will take up at least an hour, which will leave you with less than 12 minutes.

The reason for calculating is because photography is all about yourself. Individual talent. I am very sure everyone of you want to ask the instructor a little more about how to go about creating a shot and giving comments about your work. Some are shy to ask in front of the group. At the end of the day, you will only very little.

We at SLCC always go all the way to get everyone together and show their work. Later every participants will get a chance to view other participants work. This is where they start to learn. We will try to help them correct the mistakes on the spot. This will benefit other students as well when we correct the mistakes.

Actually the best is to visit our studio and we can elaborate further plus give you a preview on what you wil be expecting from our course. Besides that you can ask about our other courses which is available to you all.

Please note that my comments are not targetted at any institution. I believe every institution has it's good and bad point. The most important is that you learn something out of it.

The camera has been pointed out by kegler already. It really does not matter even if you have a range finder camera. As long as you can control the Aperture and Shutter Speed. You are on the way. Even a FM2/3, F3, F50, F65, F70, F80, F801s, F90/90X, F100, F4, F5 and F6 is still a camera but for film users. D1X, D2H, D100 and D70 are just digital cameras. It makes no difference. Knowing the basics is the key to successful photography. Equipments are just recording tools. Spend less money on camera body but a little more on lenses. Lenses are the one that is creating the image. Not the camera. I hope all newbies do not have the wrong misconception about better camera will get better photos.

Even without a camera body and a lens, I can still created an image.

Thank you and hope to see you soon.

blursotong said:
Dear all,

1. There is no fixed price for any course. You can compare it with Objective, PSS, Blackbox, whichever, each has different emphsis, each teaches differently. For PSS, they believed in a large group formation, meaning greater teacher student ratio. At SLCC, there is a limit of up to 8 students, so there are greater interaction between student and instructors. At PSS, you get a few instructors teaching different things. The advantage is you gain different insight from different instructors. The disadvantage, you get confused. At SLCC, Plrbear will be the only instructor for you and whatever he teaches, you will have very consistence answer. But once you get pass the stage, you will want to know different views from other people, that is when you can visit SLCC itself, you will get to meet different photographers, most who are not instructors, but photographers in their own field, professional or advanced ameturer, where you can exchange ideas and different method of taking similar things. With the basics there, you should be able to understand better. If not, you can even ask the photographers there, WHY? ;D

2. D70 also have full manual control. Basically, a good SLR will require some form of manual control for that overriding capability. It is for some creativity ;D

Dear Blursotong,

I see no reason to be offended by your posts in PSS threads, simply because i'm not PSS. As a consumer, you have every reason to shop around for the best deal and attend a course that you are comfortable with.

All of my students (past and present) will tell you that the $200 is money well spent, and I find great difficulty in presenting my costs in quantitative terms. However, i believe the way i teach, the methods that i use, the heart, soul, blood and sweat that i put into the relentless pursuit of perfecting the Basic Photography program that i offer speaks volumes in terms of intrinsic value. I listen to what problems my students encounter, and bring in my own personal experience to mould my course structure into what it is today.

The course structure is STILL by no means perfect, simply because of the advancements in camera technology. I organize pre-course briefings to understand what my students are bringing with them for the class; their equipment, aspirations, hopes, dreams and experience. I take the time to modify my course accordingly, whether it is because i have a majority of digital users or otherwise.

My current set of students are going through their night shooting classes at this time. As an added benefit for my students, i conduct my classes at locations that correspond to the plethora of cultural activities available in Singapore.

Being in the midst of the Chinese New Year period, i am holding my night classes in Chinatown. You'll probably think i'm mad, and i totally agree with you. HOWEVER, If you look deeper beyond the activity itself, you'll realize why i've planned my lessons as such. If you follow my course structure, you would have finished the day shoots by now. As such, you should have a keen sense of exposure and composition. Going down to Chinatown for a night shoot class is not about learning how to expose your pictures well, and it's not about composing pictures well either. Why then do i put my students through the Chinatown experience? Think about the answer and let me know. ;)

As for your other question regarding equipment, i believe the responses above should be satisfactory. If you have any more queries, pls do not hesitate to contact me. My cellular number is 8125-4625. Set up a meeting with me, as i love nothing more than talking to keen individuals like yourself regarding photography. We can meet up at Stanley Lim Colour Centre itself, where you can meet the driving force behind SLCC (Stanley & Joanne), and see what we're all about.

All i ask of you, is that you bring along your eagerness to learn, and the willing acceptance of instruction. As they say, "All roads lead to Rome." The means may be different, but the goals are the same. :thumbsup:

blursotong said:
Dear all,

Dear blursotong,

Don't compared us to PSS. They have their style and we have ours.

SLCC had invited Plrbear to be the instructor of the Basic Photography Course, that is because he had went through a lot. He had never attend any Basic courses cos he had the same mistake that everyone made: Basic Photography is too simple, no need to spend all this money. He willing to share his experience, the fun, the joy and the way how he learn. He hope that you guys don't follow his wrong foot step. He want you guys to enjoys the fun and joy of the photography world. So please don't compared him with any other organization, when he really put his heart and soul to teach and to share.

Why not visit us at :
122, Middle Road #02-03 Midlink Plaza. Singapore 188973. (please call me at 98583502 (Joanne) before you come)
SLCC is not only a place for you pick up courses, this is also a place for you to know more people, make more friends and also a place for you guys to talk, to share, to enjoy and to get crazy about Photography. The students will ask, the photographers will share. No one is selfish in SLCC, No one will hide any photography knowledge to any one. This is SLCC spirit.

SLCC is a big family, we are very welcome you to join us. Hope to see you soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.