(SLCC) Basic Photography Course - Dec 16 intake

Status
Not open for further replies.

PLRBEAR

Nov 15, 2003
Pasir Ris
Visit site
Hello folks! In view of the overwhelming response of the previous Basic Photograhy Course at Stanley Lim Colour Centre, i've decided to start another class right after the completion of the current intake.

I started out on the wrong foot 15yrs ago, thinking that i'd done it all with self-taught photography skills. However, upon receiving professional instruction further down the road, i realized that i was doing many things wrongly. As a result, i now what it feels like to be on the "dark side" and literally in the dark about many things regarding photography. I am currently a full-time professional photographer, with experience in wedding photography, commercial shoots and makeover photography. The course will include the following, but is not limited to:

1)Inner & Outer workings of cameras
2)Factors involved in exposure & their effects
3)What lenses do to your pictures
4)Composition & the acceptable picture
5)Maintenance

This is a rough outline of the course. S$200 for 4 lessons, all to be held outdoors for a total of approx 20hrs. We'll do day and/or night shoots on Thursdays. Make up lessons/remedial lessons will be provided if you miss any/anything. We live, we learn, we share, and make our dreams come true. Lessons may stretch beyond 5hrs per session, so pls be prepared to stay outdoors for long periods. Digital/Film cameras are welcome, and MUST allow full manual control. If you have any difficulties on the equipment, please speak to me.

On a final note, i encourage all beginners to take part in this course. You bugger up your foundation, and you'll be headed nowhere with little or no direction. Build up a solid base, and we'll go from there!

Course Syllabus
1)Inner & Outer workings of cameras
- What kind of cameras we have out there
- What they're used for
- Fundamental SLR parts & their operation
- What sort of SLR do you need?
- Basic features your SLR should have & why

2)Factors involved in exposure & their effects
- Shutter speed
- Aperture
- Film
- How to manipulate these three basic factors of exposure to create your photograph
- Lighting conditions and what how you can harness the power of natural light

3)What lenses do to your pictures
- Types of lenses available
- Effects of Wide-angle lenses
- Zoom lenses and what they do for you
- Perspective & View Angle

4)Composition & the acceptable picture
- Rule of Thirds & breaking the rules of photography
- Subject focus
- Framing etc

5)Maintenance
- What you need to maintain your equipment
- What you can do to ensure that your equipment doesn't fail sooner than it should

If anyone needs more information, pls do not hesitate to contact me via PM

Stanley Lim Colour Centre is a member of the Singapore Photographic Trade Association, and is authorized to present certificates to its photography course participants with the SPTA's endorsement.

1)Juzmoo
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)

Limited to 6 participants. Will start another class if the response is good. Otherwise, pls PM me and i will arrange something for you. :)

This is a great course for beginners! You'll learn plenty of things about photography.

PLRBEAR is a patient and flexible instructor and I benefitted lots from him. These lessons help build up a firm foundation. No matter what camera you use the basics are always the same. The review sessions help you learn from mistakes and improve your skills.

You also get to mix with people at SLCC and exchange ideas from them, great people over there :)

Thanks PLRBEAR,

Look forward to learn from you. Anyway, juz got some churches job caught up in last 2 weeks of this end December 04 for Christmas. Can I join your Jan 05 classes insteads? Thanks.

jUzMoO said:
Thanks PLRBEAR,

Look forward to learn from you. Anyway, juz got some churches job caught up in last 2 weeks of this end December 04 for Christmas. Can I join your Jan 05 classes insteads? Thanks.

No problem Juzmoo. I will put you in for the Jan class. It starts on the 9th and runs every Sunday BTW.

Hi PLRBEAR,

PM you this afternon.....perhaps u can give me some feedback?

cheers
:)

Hi there, i am very interested in your course...However what is PM?
As you mentioned, if anyone who doesn't have a camera with manual functions..just a very very simple digital camera, to be exact its the Sony Cybershot T1...what do you suggest? =p
And what are the specific dates of your four day course?
cheers
Teresa

tera said:
As you mentioned, if anyone who doesn't have a camera with manual functions..just a very very simple digital camera, to be exact its the Sony Cybershot T1...what do you suggest? =p
cheers
Teresa

PM == Private Message. Just click on the person's nick on the left column and "Send a Private Message to so-and-so".

Sony Cybershot T1 looks sooo compact! I like :lovegrin:
I hate to say this, but it's tough trying to learn photography proper even with a prosumer camera having all the settings etc.--I tried with no good results. Try to borrow an SLR camera with manual settigns (film or digital) from someone or you can PM PLRBEAR to arrange something :)

Wahhhh, looks like your Basic Photography Course is doing very well, keep it up, and work hard!!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

tera said:
cheers
Teresa

Dear Teresa,

If you click on my username itself, you have an option to send me a Private Message.

The reason why i strongly advise my potential students to get their hands on an SLR is because you have far more control over an SLR than a point-and-shoot camera. Without most P&S cameras, you let the camera decide the best settings to take a good shot, and you control how you compose the picture. However, with SLRs, you're able to create a picture with more depth, via the manipulation of various settings. The techniques involved in creating such photographs is what's covered in my basic course.

If you do not have an SLR, i will try my best to get a loaner for you. However, film SLRs are VERY affordable nowadays, and i strongly suggest getting one that you will learn with and master along the way.

I'd recommend getting models like the Minolta Dynax 5, Minolta Dynax 7, Nikon F80, Canon EOS5, Canon EOS 33 among other models that vary in price and features. These cameras a fully capable of giving you years and years of use, with features that assist you in taking strong photographs.

Equipment aside, the rest is definetly up to you and me. I guide my students to the best of my abilities, and ensure that they fully understand my instruction before i continue. Past students of mine are always welcome to join my classes for some extra tips, and i try to organize outings for them whenever i can.

In a nutshell, Stanley Lim Colour Centre maintains the highest of standards when it accepts students for its advance courses like Actual Wedding Day Photography, Still Life Photography, Makeover Photography, Fashion Photography and any of its courses that it conducts. As a result, it's my sole responsibility to ensure that ALL my students receive the best instruction before they progress to other courses of concentration, REGARDLESS OF WHERE THEY GO AFTER MY COURSE. :thumbsup:

The Dec 16 course will run as below:

Dec 16 - 10am-2pm
Dec 23 - 10am-2pm
Dec 30 - 5pm-9pm
Jan 6, 2005 - 5pm-9pm

Times are approximate, and may run longer than stated.

anavrin said:
Wahhhh, looks like your Basic Photography Course is doing very well, keep it up, and work hard!!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thank you very much Anavrin. :) :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.