Slave flash / Remote triggers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stoppable

Apr 28, 2003
Serangoon
Hi CSers,
I have heard a lot about slave flash units here in the forums. I am just wondering what it really is.
Is it a flashgun unit one its own?

I use a Sigma EF500 ST for my flim SLR and intend to get a DCam soon (A70). I found out that there is a EF500 Super model that can be used as a slave flash unit. Maybe I should have gotten it then and I would have learnt all about slave flash technology. Anyway, if a slave flash is not mounted on the camera, what is it sitting on?

Does it sit on a remote trigger? That is another thing I read about. Is it possible for me to buy a remote trigger only and use my flash with the A70?

:dunno:

The Sigma EF500 Super can be used as a wireless slave flash if you are using a camera such as the Canon EOS 10D or the G3 (both of which have E-TTL, which is different from TTL).

You also need to have a wireless transmitter, which can be found on the 550EX flash, an ST-E2 wireless transmitter or another EF500 Super.

Basically you mount the slave flash on anything convenient (tripod, table, etc), and it will be triggered off by the transmitter mounted on your camera. You don't need a remote trigger, because the wireless receiver is built into the body of the flash itself.

You can't use it with the A40 because there's no hot shoe to mount a transmitter. You can't use the built-in flash of the A40 to trigger a "dumb" remote slave trigger either, because the A40 has a pre-flash which will prematurely trigger off the slave flash. There are some slave flash units which are designed to be triggered off only on the second flash, but these tend to be way overpriced.

This ST-E2, is a Canon product?

Anyway, I am looking at buying an A70, not A40. I heard read somewhere that you can turn off the pre flash in the A70.

Yeah, can't find much information on remote triggers that gives you an option to trigger off on first or second flash.

Would AP or CP be a good place to look around for a remote slave trigger?

Yes, ST-E2 is a Canon product. About $280 at AP. But you need to mount it on a hot shoe.

A70 can turn off pre-flash? Hmmm.. not sure about that. Maybe you can ask Tomshen about it - ask him to try. Maybe it can be done in full manual mode (like the S series, apparently).

Cheapest place for a remote slave trigger would be Ruby Photo. But this is not the digislave, which fires on the second flash.

My advice? Forget about using slave flash on A70. It's a point and shoot, not designed for it.

Originally posted by StreetShooter
Yes, ST-E2 is a Canon product. About $280 at AP. But you need to mount it on a hot shoe.

A70 can turn off pre-flash? Hmmm.. not sure about that. Maybe you can ask Tomshen about it - ask him to try. Maybe it can be done in full manual mode (like the S series, apparently).

Cheapest place for a remote slave trigger would be Ruby Photo. But this is not the digislave, which fires on the second flash.

My advice? Forget about using slave flash on A70. It's a point and shoot, not designed for it.

I know that A70 is not designed for it. But fingers itchy want to do some experiments that won't burn a hole in my pockets..

Status
Not open for further replies.