Skyline on Flyer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jiordano

Aug 16, 2008
flyers0002_r1.jpg

The idea is to try (note operative word...'try') to replicate the feeling of the moment. ie. top of the world, looking at the breath-taking skyline..details of other fellow visitors enjoying the same moment, giving perspective of the height I was at..

First try. Hope this is the right way to upload...

Please C&C on how I could improve this shot.

Thanks!

Jiordano

Last edited:
I think you are trying to portray too much elements in a single photo, the cityscape colours would have looked better without the ferries cabin in front vying for attention, and the people inside are too dark and small to really say "details of other fellow visitors enjoying the same moment".

i think if you wanted to show the height you are at, perhaps lesser sky and more land below would have been better too. :) since the top part of your photo is almost total darkness.

firstly, let me share your pain that shooting on the flyer at night is very painful. you need to pump up the iso, but not so much that you get something so grainy, you need depth of field, you need to worry about internal reflections, you also need to worry about shutter speeds being too long that you incur movement blur in your shots.

too many elements is never a problem, the trouble is being able to arrange them in harmony. here, i see a lot at the bottom, and suddenly a puff of empty space. but does the empty space work? also, the capsule in front of you is cropped abruptly. if you intended to illustrate the feeling, i quote:

"of the moment. ie. top of the world, looking at the breath-taking skyline..details of other fellow visitors enjoying the same moment, giving perspective of the height I was at.."

then do you not think that the capsule should "rise above the city"? it can be done, but not at this point, a while backwards on the ride would give you that. :) cheers

thank you both for your valuable comments.

You are right. Will take note of these elements..

the thing about being a newbie is that it doesn't come naturally, I'm always thinking about many issues, iso, lighting, aperture, shuttle speed, composition...by the time I think all points are satisfied..the moment is gone!!! hahahaha....

for a couple days I thought the photo was so bad that its beyond redemption..better go sell the whole start up kit and do something else.

Thanks again for the encouragement.

The world greatest marathon runner started off with a single step too. Do not give up on your mistakes but learn and work them out as you go along. Besides what everyone else have brought out here, i think your building are slanted, barrel distortion?

- I love colours, and I believe you had the precious sunset moments, with that kinda sky... yes it could have been awesome.
But with the pinky lights against the shades of blue, and the skyline lights... with the green reflection... reminds me more of the streets / lorongs of Geylang...

- empty sky vs the cluttered foreground; as mentioned. its kinda bad enough; plus the bad colour combination - I wouldnt even taken a shot, or at least never to be uploaded.

- why not in landscape mode? you could have it in wide angle and get the capsule in one piece, plus the skyline and the sunset, and lesser of the emptiness of the sky. Then probably can wait till the light doesnt turn pink :p

The world greatest marathon runner started off with a single step too. Do not give up on your mistakes but learn and work them out as you go along. Besides what everyone else have brought out here, i think your building are slanted, barrel distortion?

Slanted buildings is not due to barrel distortion (also known as curvillinear distortion), but due to perspective distortion. They are not to be confused.

Simply put, the camera's sensor has to be parallel to the verticals of the building for you not to see any slanted verticals.

Yup..landscape vs portrait, colour combinations and perspective distortion have been aptly pointed out. Added to my check list for the next scenery shots ;)

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.