Skylight filter necessary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjtune

Mar 20, 2006
Just want to ask if a skylight filter is really necessary for outdoor shots. From what I've read, it compensates for the extra blues from the sky. But since we can adjust the white balance and RGB balance on digital cameras, is it redundant? I don't really notice any unbalance of colours towards the blue end in any of my outdoor shots.

How much would one cost?

Good question! what size r u looking for first?

Most of the filters can be countered by the white balance of the digital camera era. But if you wish to use filters to cut down the amount of work to be done post processing or by adjusting the WB to the correct setting, it can work well too.

So it's more of the individual taste.

GENO said:
Good question! what size r u looking for first?

Say, 58mm?

Post process drops quality. That's why the real optical filter is preferred (If you need to have those effects in the first place.)

Skylight filter is to cut UV light that bad in film camera. In dSLR it is not neccessary. It is Ir light that affect the picture quality in dSLR than UV light.

Use the filter in dSLR for protection only. Can be UV or skylight or Neutral Filter.

Regards,
Arto.

Artosoft said:
Skylight filter is to cut UV light that bad in film camera. In dSLR it is not neccessary. It is Ir light that affect the picture quality in dSLR than UV light.

Use the filter in dSLR for protection only. Can be UV or skylight or Neutral Filter.

Regards,
Arto.

If I'm not mistaken, Skylights have a slight pinkish tint to them so they do affect the colour balance so they aren't the same as UV or neutral filters which are optically transparent.

cjtune said:
If I'm not mistaken, Skylights have a slight pinkish tint to them so they do affect the colour balance so they aren't the same as UV or neutral filters which are optically transparent.
You can't see the difference. Especially when you are using custom WB.

Regards,
Arto.

Status
Not open for further replies.