Sky Shot

Status
Not open for further replies.

kangwei

Jun 12, 2007
CCK, Yew Tee
2385522466_69bc9d5c06.jpg

took this photograph at punggol. just went there with my friends to take some pictures. need some comments on the color. theres no subject in this photo. i just want to take the sky. i took the grass too is to have a contrast. or else if its just the sky, i think it would look weird. somebody from another forum commented that this photo is grainy. i dont know. but personally i feel that this photo is nice. feel free to comment! :)

the clouds are ur subject;)very attractive shot this! the dark cloud at top left corner is not blending with the rest of the pic:think:i wud have preferred only the two tree tops on lower right corner peeping into the frame,instead of the grass and all:think: there is a smooth grain visible,but it cud be just my over sharp eyes deceiving me:bsmilie:

I feel that it is better to have a bit more of the grass. Just a tiny weeny bit more of grass. And if possible try to angle your sun location to a more suitable location.

If you are shooting clouds, maybe u can try with PL filter? The clouds composition is nice but I notice quite alot of noise in this picture. It should not be happening with such a bright light source unless u are telling me u shooting at high iso with super fast shutter speed. :)

oh. i'm still quite new to photography. what's a PL filter? around what shutter speed should i use for this picture? i have another sky shot with the sun in it. will post it next week to critique. thanks for the comment! :)

To: newlife

haha! thanks! i love this shot at first. but now i realise there's still alot of room for improvement. nevertheless, thanks for your comment! i think it's grainy due to the shuttle speed. hmmm. enlighten me.

To: newlife

haha! thanks! i love this shot at first. but now i realise there's still alot of room for improvement. nevertheless, thanks for your comment! i think it's grainy due to the shuttle speed. hmmm. enlighten me.
I am also learning here. :)

PL filter is a Polarized Filter. You can google it and see what you get for explanation.

Try to shoot at low ISO. Preferably 100-200. Since you are shooting clouds you want more depth of field (dof). So apeture wise you can try 11 or 16. Shutter around 1/60 to 1/250 is still ok :)

Hope this helps

polarizing filter will not work in this situation, it only work when the sun is either right above your head, or on your right, or your left. Has to be perpendicular to the lens axis for polarizing filter to work.

My guess is you have underexposed this photo, and you salvage it during post production, hence make it very grainy.

for landscape photos, shoot at aperture between f8~f16, if you have any other subject as foreground in the photo, use smaller aperture to have greater depth of field. else like this photo, f5.6 or f8 is fine, since all the elements at near infinity.

as for composition, too little elements to make this photo interesting. try to include a tree, a person, or any man made structure as foreground, so there is depth in the photo.

Hope this help.

I am also learning here. :)

PL filter is a Polarized Filter. You can google it and see what you get for explanation.

Try to shoot at low ISO. Preferably 100-200. Since you are shooting clouds you want more depth of field (dof). So apeture wise you can try 11 or 16. Shutter around 1/60 to 1/250 is still ok :)

Hope this helps

woah. thats alot of information. thanks alot! i think i will go get a polarized filter to try out. so you live in choa chu kang? if thats the case, im VERY near you. i live in yew tee :)

polarizing filter will not work in this situation, it only work when the sun is either right above your head, or on your right, or your left. Has to be perpendicular to the lens axis for polarizing filter to work.

My guess is you have underexposed this photo, and you salvage it during post production, hence make it very grainy.

for landscape photos, shoot at aperture between f8~f16, if you have any other subject as foreground in the photo, use smaller aperture to have greater depth of field. else like this photo, f5.6 or f8 is fine, since all the elements at near infinity.

as for composition, too little elements to make this photo interesting. try to include a tree, a person, or any man made structure as foreground, so there is depth in the photo.

Hope this help.

hmm. icic. im quite weak at aperture control. shall go try these out sometime. thanks alot! actually i have another shot that has the sun in it. will post it soon. take a look at it and tell me whether there is a need for PL filter kk? thanks! ohh, btw, there isnt any post production modification. this is how it is after i develop them. the most original one :)

certainly looks very grainy for this size; but that aside it also suffers from other things -

a bit more treeline would be great, right now the little poking in of the tips do not serve to put the picture in context, i.e. sky above the treeline, make up your mind whether to include them or just take it out altogether

i am not sure for this size but by my eye, the treeline seems a tad "too sharp".. as to how that came to pass without any "postproduction" after development, only you can answer that.

I see, you shot this with film?

so my guess is still stands, the image is originally underexposed.

yea. i shot this with film. so i guess there's not much i can do with it. just have to take a better shot next time? haha.

certainly looks very grainy for this size; but that aside it also suffers from other things -

a bit more treeline would be great, right now the little poking in of the tips do not serve to put the picture in context, i.e. sky above the treeline, make up your mind whether to include them or just take it out altogether

i am not sure for this size but by my eye, the treeline seems a tad "too sharp".. as to how that came to pass without any "postproduction" after development, only you can answer that.

i don't usually edit my photos after development. i want to perfect it by doing a better shot next time round. i'm certainly not a professional here, just some guy that wants to learn. thanks for the comments anyway. i would try to improve to please your eye next time round. provided you follow my work! :)

i don't usually edit my photos after development. i want to perfect it by doing a better shot next time round. i'm certainly not a professional here, just some guy that wants to learn. thanks for the comments anyway. i would try to improve to please your eye next time round. provided you follow my work! :)
pah, what i meant was that i don't use film extensively, so maybe you can come with an explanation.. film probably behaves differently from digital?

cheers and keep shooting.

woah. thats alot of information. thanks alot! i think i will go get a polarized filter to try out. so you live in choa chu kang? if thats the case, im VERY near you. i live in yew tee :)
Hi thats cool! we can meet up or something. But I have no knowledge in film SLR. Mine is a dSLR :)

pah, what i meant was that i don't use film extensively, so maybe you can come with an explanation.. film probably behaves differently from digital?

cheers and keep shooting.

oh. haha. sorry if i misunderstood you. :) i dont really like the idea of editing after taking using film because that would defeat the purpose, it would not be your original work anymore. if everyone uses photoshop, there wouldn't be any nice photos left. so i will just leave all these comments for my next shot. hopefully it would be a better one. :) thanks alot!

Hi thats cool! we can meet up or something. But I have no knowledge in film SLR. Mine is a dSLR :)

haha. i'm still not very good with my camera too. still in the experimenting stage. thats why i wanted to start with SLR. slowly save up for DSLR. hahaha. how old are you anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.