Sky@Eleven condo

blackd0g

Mar 18, 2010
Sky_eleven.jpg

Sky@Eleven Condo

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
I would like feedback in my composition and exposure of the photo.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
I hope by looking at this photo, viewer will be able to feel the unobstructed view of living in the condo

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
I took this photo during the Assisi Hospice fair at SJI international, the beautiful building by the blue sky background really caught my eyes.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture

This is my first photo of a building that i am satisfied with, i really love the outlook of the building and the blue sky background.

(First time posting in the Critique Corner, i hope my write up is up to mark )

A newbie in photography,hope to learn more and more. Thanks for your valuable feedback and comments.

Pt #2: I think it would be better if the picture was taken nearer to the base of the building, a bit of distortion to create the effect of towering buildings ascending up the clear blue sky..

No offence, but to be honest, i don't find this composition particularly outstanding...seems quite normal settings to me, esp the level and angle of the picture.

You do have a clear objective, that's good. I think your objecyive is pretty much fulfilled too. However, there are a few basics in architectural photography you need to be familiar with.

If you are shooting the buildings from a distance, it is most critical that you control the perspective well and make sure that the verticals and horizon are straight. Your vertical lines are actually converging towards the top and its not a true to life representation of how we see the buildings. You will need a tilt/shift lens or a camera with movement to correct this problem of the converging lines. Alternatively, you have to make use of corrective softwares to make good the distortion in post editing.

The next thing you have to watch out for is the ambient lighting. The apartments are obviously facing the sun at different angles so you end up with 2 blocks reflecting the sun directly and the other 2 in shadow. Its not consistent. Good times for architectural photography are usually morning and evening when the sun is at a lower angle. You need to make some observations on site to determine the best timine to shoot.

I'm a little disappointed with the foreground arrangement. Its cluttered with branches, spaces in between trees, grass field, post, foreign structures, etc you name it. These actually ditracts the viewer and draws attention away from your subject. Keep your compositions simple.

Take a tour at the Land / City scape and Travel and you will learn.

Hi everyone, thanks for your valueable feedback. One day i see if i can get into the building and take more photo from another angle.