Skateboarder in air

Status
Not open for further replies.

kruger

Dec 2, 2005
Tampines
Well, I captured this skateboarder during last sunday's street competiton, Blacksondol. Going up close and shooting from a low angle to achieve the feeling of 'air' that the skateboarder had launched himself into. I was thinking whether should I straighten the 'ground' but it seems better this way in my humble opinion. Also it seems the trees in the background are quite a distraction. What are your views?

DSC_7364.jpg

One thing thats quite obvious, the background is too messy/cluttered in comparison with the main skateboarder. If not for the title, I would interpret this picture as "A skateboarding event with spectators". But I guess this can't be helped much since its a 'take-and-go' shot, so little room for composition. Just take in mind next time of the background before shooting;)

I like the tilted perspective, gives a good sense of movement for the skateboarder to land into the right of the picture.

What i suggest is to use the original colour picture, crop to show as much of the skateboarder and the ground (never mind the background). Then isolate only the skateboarder and desaturate the rest. Henceforth highlighting only the main subject.

Regards,
TK

Angle still not low enough. And also not close enough from the way I see it.

If you accomplish the two, you would have the sky as a background. Thus solving your messy bg problem.

maybe it shoudnt be done in BnW

it took me awhile to pick out the skater's hand, the skateboard and the white shirt is v striking imo and takes all the attention instead

it's a good shot... but unfortunately the tree messes things up a bit... oh well... sometimes for things like these when a good shot appears, no time to think... hahhaa... but gotta evaluate and wait for another good shot lorr..

-dan-

Thank you all for your precious comments. Practically it's a take and go shot as this is a competition, had no time to set up and compose. Quite true, the color version should be easier to make out the skateboarder.

Well, here's the color version but it's merged with another photo.

Blacksondol074R.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.