Sizes for developing photos

Status
Not open for further replies.

ark19

Jan 17, 2002
SG
Hi All,

I recently had heads of my subjects being cut off when the photos were sent for developing.

I came across "Digipro Imaging" near my house and asked the salesperson abt it.

He explained that I'd to crop the images according to the "R" size that I'm going to develop. And he wrote me the following list:

3R = 3.5" X 5"
4R = 4" X 6"
5R = 5" X 7"
6R = 6" X 8"
8R = 8" X 10"
S8R = 8" X 12"
10R = 10" X 12"
S10R = 10" X 15"

Can anyone concur that the above is correct?

Originally posted by ark19
Hi All,

I recently had heads of my subjects being cut off when the photos were sent for developing.

I came across "Digipro Imaging" near my house and asked the salesperson abt it.

He explained that I'd to crop the images according to the "R" size that I'm going to develop. And he wrote me the following list:

3R = 3.5" X 5"
4R = 4" X 6"
5R = 5" X 7"
6R = 6" X 8"
8R = 8" X 10"
S8R = 8" X 12"
10R = 10" X 12"
S10R = 10" X 15"

Can anyone concur that the above is correct?

correct!

Originally posted by mervlam

correct!

Thankx!
Hope I won't have "headless" subjects anymore! :D

Originally posted by djchris
den a 4R would be like 1080x720 pixels?

nah... it will also depend on the number of pixels per inch

Originally posted by mervlam

nah... it will also depend on the number of pixels per inch

I tried cropping a pic which is 1600x1200.
Then using 4"x6", I derived 1080x720. So is it correct or should I use6"x9"?

my point is:

if 300 dpi
then 4R == 1200 x 1800 pixels

if 400 dpi
then 4R == 1600 x 2400 pixels

you should ensure that for 4R, your image should be no less than 300dpi, and has a ratio of 2:3

720 x 1080 gives u only 180dpi at 4R

For all A40 users shooting with the Largest/SuperFine mode, cropping your image to 1600*1067 pixels will give you a 4 R print at 267 Dpi. :p

You do not crop according to "SIZE". What you should do is just crop to that ratio.

Set the Marquee tool to the required ratio and size it until you get the composition you want and crop.

The less you crop away from your image, the better quality the print since the resultant PPI will be higher.

Originally posted by MaGixShOe
4R need only 640 by 480

anyway is 8R bigger or A4 bigger?

8R is 8x10"

Super 8R is 8x12".
A4 is 8.3x11.7" .... pretty close, but not exactly the same.

cheerios

Originally posted by beachbum

8R is 8x10"

Super 8R is 8x12".
A4 is 8.3x11.7" .... pretty close, but not exactly the same.

cheerios
so 8R is abit smaller than A4 uh

digipro also offers 6RW size which is 6 by 8.5" for the price of 6R. get 0.5" more for the price of 6R =p

Hi Ark,

long time no see. Do u remember I also stay in the same area. I recall u somewhere near Siglap there. Last saw u in HWZ camera forum...:)

Glad u found DigiPro. I use their services now exclusively. Good pricing and quality. :)

I always print my photos at 300 dpi w 1800x1200. Absolutely no problems. (actually, anything u print on a Frontier just needs to be 300 dpi which is its maximum resolution)

Hi Java_Guru,
I am also regular at digipro because they give me very good prices. I stay near st pats there. However I find that the kodak fotostation a few shops away has better printouts(sharness and graininess wise). But its a lot more convenient to deal with digipro. Anyway I downloaded the profile from drycreek not sure how it would work for me since I dont use a calibrated monitor. is the ICC suppose to make the printouts match what I see on my screen?

My god, u live just beside me!!!!

There are instructions on drycreek on how to use the frontier profiles in photoshop. They are supposed to make them more a like to your screen but WILL NEVER match your screen colors completely because the frontier machine(as with all) have a smaller gamut compared to your MOnitor(sRGB).

Calibration only works if u have a calibrated devices even if just using Adobe Gama.

I can't really explain color theory to u (just learnt myself too) as it is rather complex but lots of resources on the internet to read thru slowly.

Originally posted by JaGr
Hi Java_Guru,
I am also regular at digipro because they give me very good prices. I stay near st pats there. However I find that the kodak fotostation a few shops away has better printouts(sharness and graininess wise). But its a lot more convenient to deal with digipro. Anyway I downloaded the profile from drycreek not sure how it would work for me since I dont use a calibrated monitor. is the ICC suppose to make the printouts match what I see on my screen?

Originally posted by Gabriel
can someone tell me where is digipro please....thanx.

Look at my sig which which as a thread on it. :)

However, I would like to remind everyone that I'm not related to that shop in any way. I just have consistent good experiences with them and am happy with the prices-quality. U have to behave like a responsible buyer and ask pricing/conditions. U have to also check your prints properly and raise your concerns to the staff. :eek:

This is neccessary as I just got a complaint from a fellow clubsnap member complaining of DigiPro that they charged him unfairly and printed unnecessary shots. I got blamed by him. This is rather absurb from my point of view.:(

Hi Java_Guru,
I've been bz with work, not much time to shoot... :(
Actually have not printed anything from DigiPro, have not dug out files... hope I can do it soon... Cheers!

Originally posted by Java_Guru
Hi Ark,

long time no see. Do u remember I also stay in the same area. I recall u somewhere near Siglap there. Last saw u in HWZ camera forum...:)

Glad u found DigiPro. I use their services now exclusively. Good pricing and quality. :)

I always print my photos at 300 dpi w 1800x1200. Absolutely no problems. (actually, anything u print on a Frontier just needs to be 300 dpi which is its maximum resolution)

I was most impressed with their services when there was an event I was covering it ended at 9pm at jurong. I told them to stay open for me(they close at 9pm) while I rushed down by 9.30pm to get the prints done for orders for people who were leaving singapore on that same night. they did an express 15 min service with no extra charge. That is what I call good service.

Status
Not open for further replies.