Size of Jpeg files

Kopred

Jul 25, 2010
Hi,
Was wondering how to get Jpeg size of 6mb.
My D90 Jpeg average size is like from 3-5mb only.
But i do know that some people can come out with size from 6mb to even 12mb :bigeyes:
The size of Jpeg is due to the Camera itself, the make of Camera?

Thanks in advance for the info. Greatly appreciated.

Jpeg size is dependent on the resolution of the photo and the amt of compression. d90's a 12mp cam there is no way the pic produced is of such a large size. Also, there is no need for the large file size since the resolution of ur d90 is fixed at 12mp, since bloating the size wld nt make a diff to the quality.

just add a lot of dark and colorful noise and apply heavy unsharp mask to your image, save at quality 12 jpg, you will notice the file size has bloated significantly

i think no matter what you do to the camera, the number of pixels captured won't change. It will only decrease on certain settings, so unless you add stuff PP, there's no worry about file size. and even then, a bloated file doesn't necessarily means better picture quality.

Hi NemesisBlade & Catchlights,
Thanks for the prompt reply. Read thru your reply but sound really confusing to me.
Sorry for not been able to comprehend. << Too noob.

I shoot in Raw + Jpeg Fine, Large size.
Normally, Raw (Ard 9-10mb), Jpeg (Ard 3-5mb) when i download into the computer.

NemesisBlade> The amount of compression is set by the Camera or I can manipulate it?
Catchlights> Apply heavy unsharp mask to the image, means the image will be less sharper if I save at a bigger size Jpeg?

That's to say for D90, there is no way to get bigger Jpeg size 6mb and above?

Last edited:
try use photoshop create two doc,
one is just plain color
another one with busy pattern of colors and fine details

save these two images in jpg with the same setting, you will notice the file size of plain color jpg is very small, and the file size of busy pattern jpg is very large.

so the file size of the jpg are depend on the content of the images.

and in your camera, there are two types of compression settings for jpg files,
Size Priority (default setting)
Optimal Quality
Please read your camera user manual for more details.

you can set it to Optimal Quality to get best quality compression for your fine jpg.

JPEG compression is not consistent, certain scenes will compress more and some less. When the scene is complicated, you'd usually observe the file to be larger. Fill the whole frame with a piece of white paper and you'll realise that the file will be significantly smaller. Pixel count of the camera plays a part too, get a 21 megapixel camera and it will surely churn out large JPEGs as compared to 12/14 megapixel models. But seriously, I don't quite understand why you would want to get file sizes of 6Mb? :dunno:

Last edited:
I shoot in Raw + Jpeg Fine, Large size.
Normally, Raw (Ard 9-10mb), Jpeg (Ard 3-5mb) when i download into the computer.[...]
That's to say for D90, there is no way to get bigger Jpeg size 6mb and above?

You are using RAW, why this discussion about the size of jpg files from camera? Use RAW, use your preferred RAW converter / image editor, save for jpg with minimum of compression / maximum of quality settings. But then again, you might not achieve your preference of 6MB or above. Simply: jpg is a format designed to reduce the image file size.
What is your reason for large jpg files? If you need large image files just save as tiff ...

try to process ur jpeg from RAW file, my default jpeg straight out of the camera(with DPP) is around 3.5-6 MB if i process from RAW it'll be around 7-11MB

Last edited:
at RAW+JPEG Fine Large, i can get photos between 4 to 6 MB (for the JPEG).
the NEF eats up 9 to 12 MB.

more colors/darker colors the bigger the file size. that's what i noticed.

why do you need to get 6MB JPG file? :dunno:

Was curious why some Jpeg files can be so big.
Initial thought, is bigger Jpeg size could be better.
But after reading advise from all the Seniors in here, it's may not always be the case.

Before hand, I did browse thru the manual few times..
And I just look thru again.. but really can't find the option to change the compression option.
Or perhaps I need to change spec

As mentioned from Catchlights, its under>>
two types of compression settings for jpg files,
Optimal Quality

Was curious why some Jpeg files can be so big.
Initial thought, is bigger Jpeg size could be better.
But after reading advise from all the Seniors in here, it's may not always be the case.

Before hand, I did browse thru the manual few times..
And I just look thru again.. but really can't find the option to change the compression option.
Or perhaps I need to change spec

As mentioned from Catchlights, its under>>
two types of compression settings for jpg files,
Optimal Quality
so sorry, just refer to the D90 user manual, the custom setting of Size Priority / Optimal Quality for jpg compression option is only available on D300 and above.

Hi Catchlights,
Thanks for the effort to browse thru the manual.
Greatly appreciate it.

From what I can recall, generally for JPEG, images with lots of high frequency regions (sharp color transitions from adjacent pixels, including noise) are more difficult to compress than low frequency images (smooth/similar colors across pixels).

JPEG uses perceptual model so the compression begins by throwing out data that is deem to be least visually obvious. As you increase the compression, the data is thrown out more aggressively and image degradation will become more and more obvious.