Sitting HD shelf life?

Status
Not open for further replies.

regit

Dec 3, 2003
Singapore
I'm (and still) accumulating huge chunks of digital media and I'm looking for ways to preserve them. I have many DVDs (irregardless of brands) died on me before so I'm kinda ruling out media like DVD+-r/rw/ram. I would pretty much like to do tape, but the cost and time is not feasible...

Currently, I'm on a HD migration scheme, got a few WD "My Books", and dumped everything in them. My question is, how long will a sitting HD (i.e. no stress on the bearings) last before I migrate again? 10-15 years stored in dry cabinet? Will it even spin up after that long?

Any information on this or backup strategy is greatly welcome :)

I think you are using the wrong types of DVD. Get the best quality ones and you never have to worry. A good example are the Taiyo Yuden DVDs that are in the market right now.

As for how long a harddrive will last, 10 years sounds about right. It's not really a good idea to store in a dry cabinet because if the lube on the platter dries out, it's as good as gone.

I think you are using the wrong types of DVD. Get the best quality ones and you never have to worry. A good example are the Taiyo Yuden DVDs that are in the market right now.

As for how long a harddrive will last, 10 years sounds about right. It's not really a good idea to store in a dry cabinet because if the lube on the platter dries out, it's as good as gone.

Thank you for point out about the lube!!! How would one store a sitting drive?

As for DVD, I guess I'm generally worry about the technology rather than quality; i.e. laser burning on dye. And as for quality, unless they are proven (which I have to wait and pray for 10 years), I don't want to rely on manufacturers' claims.

Thank you for point out about the lube!!! How would one store a sitting drive?

As for DVD, I guess I'm generally worry about the technology rather than quality; i.e. laser burning on dye. And as for quality, unless they are proven (which I have to wait and pray for 10 years), I don't want to rely on manufacturers' claims.

You can take a look at some accelerated DVD dye tests, Taiyo Yuden is a renowned manufacturer of DVD/CDRs and this Japanese company has proven that their DVDs can really last. I have a few CDRs from them that date back 2 years ago that still work like it should, compared to a bunch of generic brand ones which already failed on me.

The TY DVD+/-R are a bit more expensive, but they are worth it. I'm confident to say that everything I have burnt so far are on TY medias. I don't even work for this Japanese company, but I trust them with my stuff!:lovegrin:

It's a little easier to get it in Singapore now, here is the link: Verbatim 16x made in Japan

You can take a look at some accelerated DVD dye tests, Taiyo Yuden is a renowned manufacturer of DVD/CDRs and this Japanese company has proven that their DVDs can really last. I have a few CDRs from them that date back 2 years ago that still work like it should, compared to a bunch of generic brand ones which already failed on me.

The TY DVD+/-R are a bit more expensive, but they are worth it. I'm confident to say that everything I have burnt so far are on TY medias. I don't even work for this Japanese company, but I trust them with my stuff!:lovegrin:

It's a little easier to get it in Singapore now, here is the link: Verbatim 16x made in Japan

Thank you for sharing these with me. As mentioned, I'm now working with HDDs, quite siong to change format again!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.