Sisters Island Outing < >

Status
Not open for further replies.

USM

Apr 25, 2002
Visit site
As part of the southern islands expendition, I am organising a trip to Sisters Island. Prior to that, we had already conquered Pulau Hantu and St John Island.

Date : 1 September, Saturday
Time : 0900 hrs
Venue : Marina South Pier
For those who are driving, you can go straight to the pier to meet us. For those who are taking MRT, alight at Marina MRT and then take bus no. 402 to the pier.
Cost : $13.50 (provided we have 12 persons going). Cost of chartering the boat is $160 for return trip. Hence, we need at least 12 persons to share the cost of chartering the boat

To make full use of our time/cost to the island, it is recommended to spend the whole day there. We shall leave the island at 5pm. Therefore, kindly scehdule your appointments to night time should you have any.

Things to bring :

1) 1.25 litres of water (at least)
2) dry rations (you can't buy food in the island)
3) Tripod and all your gear
4) Sunglass / Sun Block lotion
5) Insect Repellant

What do we shoot at Sisters Island?

Sisters Island is made up of 2 tranquil islands called Subar Laut and Subar Darat.

Big Sister island (Subar Laut) faces the open sea while Little Sister island (Subar Darat) faces the mainland. The 2 islands are separated by a narrow but deep channel. Currents through this channel can be very dangerous. Therefore it is not possible to swim from one island to the other unlike Pulau Hantu.

Sisters Island has rich coral reef and home to some Long-tailed macaques.

Scenic, Birding and Macro photography shall dominate.

Come and join us for a nature walk, and photography.

List

1) USM
2)
3)

As part of the southern islands expendition, I am organising a trip to Sisters Island. Prior to that, we had already conquered Pulau Hantu and St John Island.

Date : 1 September, Saturday
Time : 0900 hrs
Venue : Marina South Pier
For those who are driving, you can go straight to the pier to meet us. For those who are taking MRT, alight at Marina MRT and then take bus no. 402 to the pier.
Cost : $30 (provided we have 12 persons going). Cost of chartering the boat is $300 for return trip. Hence, we need at least 12 persons to share the cost of chartering the boat

To make full use of our time/cost to the island, it is recommended to spend the whole day there. We shall leave the island at 5pm. Therefore, kindly scehdule your appointments to night time should you have any.

Things to bring :

1) 1.25 litres of water (at least)
2) dry rations (you can't buy food in the island)
3) Tripod and all your gear
4) Sunglass / Sun Block lotion
5) Insect Repellant

What do we shoot at Sisters Island?

Sisters Island is made up of 2 tranquil islands called Subar Laut and Subar Darat.

Big Sister island (Subar Laut) faces the open sea while Little Sister island (Subar Darat) faces the mainland. The 2 islands are separated by a narrow but deep channel. Currents through this channel can be very dangerous. Therefore it is not possible to swim from one island to the other unlike Pulau Hantu.

Sisters Island has rich coral reef and home to some Long-tailed macaques.

Scenic, Birding and Macro photography shall dominate.

Come and join us for a nature walk, and photography.

List

1) USM
2) nicholas
3)

List

1) USM
2) nicholas
3) kmtnaing
4)
5)
6)

List

1) USM
2) nicholas
3) kmtnaing
4) LOTUSfairy :heart:
5)
6)

What's the wet weather plan? Interested but worried about the weather..

If it rains before we board the boat, we can still cancel it. But if it rains after we have reached the island, we can either take a shelter there or ask the boat to send us back.

Good news!

Cost per person has been lowered after I found a cheaper boat charterer.

Per head is now $13.50 instead of $30.

1) USM
2) nicholas
3) kmtnaing
4) LOTUSfairy :heart:
5) headless ;)
6)

1) USM
2) nicholas
3) kmtnaing
4) LOTUSfairy
5) headless
6) Mezzotint
7) Rumplestiltskin

One thing you guys ought to take note: there are monkeys there (not the kind we pay "peanuts" for on mainland..) and they are notorious - do not feed them or they will advance on you and take what they want.. oh and they can chase and bite too..

Sisters' Island has been weekend getaway for my family since 1975 (which my dad discovered when he had to run onto the island for shelter during a bad storm while boat-fishing). Back then it was just pure white sand, some shelters, a toilet, and nothing else..really prestine.. today, it has been re-developed and now has thick growth of trees and vegetations atop its hill where most of the monkeys reside...

Also, it has become a marine life conservation ground, and do wear sandals when wading around in the lagoon - there may be stone fishes around, or baby stingrays - you really don't wanna step on either one...

Have fun, I was recently there on the 5th of August - during low tide there are plenty of subjects on the expose lagoon bed...

One thing you guys ought to take note: there are monkeys there (not the kind we pay "peanuts" for on mainland..) and they are notorious - do not feed them or they will advance on you and take what they want.. oh and they can chase and bite too..

Sisters' Island has been weekend getaway for my family since 1975 (which my dad discovered when he had to run onto the island for shelter during a bad storm while boat-fishing). Back then it was just pure white sand, some shelters, a toilet, and nothing else..really prestine.. today, it has been re-developed and now has thick growth of trees and vegetations atop its hill where most of the monkeys reside...

Also, it has become a marine life conservation ground, and do wear sandals when wading around in the lagoon - there may be stone fishes around, or baby stingrays - you really don't wanna step on either one...

Have fun, I was recently there on the 5th of August - during low tide there are plenty of subjects on the expose lagoon bed...

Thanks Bro for the information. :)

1) USM
2) nicholas
3) kmtnaing
4) LOTUSfairy
5) headless
6) Mezzotint
7) Rumplestiltskin
8) SueKay
9) Suekay`s friend

Thanks for the info, CJ. :thumbsup:

Hi USM,

As I've never been on the island, May I know which part of the island are we going i.e. Subar Laut or Subar Darat? Since you mentioned that the 2 islands are separated by a narrow but deep channel which can be very dangerous. Which one has more scenic view/opportunities for photography? :)

Hi USM,

As I've never been on the island, May I know which part of the island are we going i.e. Subar Laut or Subar Darat? Since you mentioned that the 2 islands are separated by a narrow but deep channel which can be very dangerous. Which one has more scenic view/opportunities for photography? :)

Pulau Subar Laut, the island on the left side, is better. that island is slightly bigger and have toilet/shower facilities.
http://lenscapes.multiply.com/photos/hi-res/112/21

Thanks Steve for the information.

I will try to negotiate with the boatman to bring us to the smaller island for an hour or so before we go to the bigger island.

I reckon that it is better for us to spend more time at the bigger island since it is bigger, thus may have more subjects for us to photograph.

Thanks Lenscape and USM. BTW my friend is joining for this outing.

1) USM
2) nicholas
3) kmtnaing
4) LOTUSfairy
5) headless
6) Mezzotint
7) Rumplestiltskin
8) SueKay
9) Suekay`s friend
10) Mezzotint's friend, Alectis (new CS member)

1) USM
2) nicholas
3) kmtnaing
4) LOTUSfairy
5) headless
6) Mezzotint
7) Rumplestiltskin
8) SueKay
9) Suekay`s friend
10) Mezzotint's friend
11) toffeespin
12) toffeespin's friend