Sirui tripod - 4 or 5 sections

DemonicAngelz

Mar 15, 2006
Singapore
www.demonicangelz.com
I've narrowed down my next tripod purchase to the Sirui T-2204X or T-2205X. One is four sections and the other is five sections. All other specs are similar/ negligible. What I'm worried about is the stability. At maximum I would be loading d300s plus grip plus 70-200mm f2.8. Anyone used this can give some reviews about the tripod regarding stability?
p.s. I've seen both tripods @ the shop. The leg of the five section looks quite skinny. I don't have the exact diameter though.

The 5 section would be longer in height, but less stable compared to the 4 section. I would say go for the 4 section, T-2204X, which is much thicker in its legs, and your setup, I would say it's pretty good enough.

I bought the T-2204X, and I'm contented and never regret getting a 4 section.

if it helps, i am using a 4 section one from sirui as well. Personally, i would say a 4 section is a compromise between stability and compactness.

I've narrowed down my next tripod purchase to the Sirui T-2204X or T-2205X. One is four sections and the other is five sections. All other specs are similar/ negligible. What I'm worried about is the stability. At maximum I would be loading d300s plus grip plus 70-200mm f2.8. Anyone used this can give some reviews about the tripod regarding stability?
p.s. I've seen both tripods @ the shop. The leg of the five section looks quite skinny. I don't have the exact diameter though.

Ditto with OD's words, if 2204 fits your height after deployment (without the center column extended) go for it. The last leg of 2204 is 16mm diameter I think versus 05's 12 and that's a whole world of difference. 2204 can carry 15kg (divided by 3 = 5kg actual) of equipment weight. Whereas 2205 is only 12kg meaning full effective load is only 4kg...

I was also having the same considerations and eventually went for the 4-section one because it can take more weight, and it is also faster to deploy and keep :)

weight, folded length, max height and min diameter come into my consideration when i bought my sirui.
I bought the T-2204X cuz of weight - 1.1kg vs 1.2kg for Sirui T-2205X, as well as diameter.
The max height of T-2204X is sufficient for me who is 1.78 tall.
The only shortcoming is the folded length being 41cm compared to 37cm for 2205X, but it's still shorter than most of its peer.

For diameter, it's 19mm for T2204x and 16mm for T2205X. You may find all the spec here.
http://www.zssirui.com/en/products.html?proTypeID=100036810&proID=100367906&proName=T-2204X

I still find it slightly heavy though at 1.1kg +0.4kg (ballhead). You may try C169 Benro at Ben Photo as well, i like the weight, folded length, height, etc ( cant rem if it's 5 sect or 4 sect) but at a price of $448.
However, I still chose Sirui for the feel, as well as the price.

Last edited:
if it helps, i am using a 4 section one from sirui as well. Personally, i would say a 4 section is a compromise between stability and compactness.
:thumbsup:
I have Slik 340 (4 sections) and 400 (3 sections). I wouldn't want to have a 5 section tripod. Even if it's stable on paper, the thin legs will be susceptible to vibrations.

5 sections tripod are usually unacceptably unstable. The last sections are very thin. 4 sections is about the limit of compromise.

I am a user of the Sirui 5section tripod user. Main reason i got it was because of the folded length. The 5 section is a plus for travelling purposes.
So far the tripod have serve me well.

i'm using the R1024 (4 section)
I find the legs rather thin already. can be seen on the image below
4281608880_2ce55dacf8.jpg

I believe a 5section tripod would be worst?

The max load I'll give it is D700+grip+ 70-200 or 80-200.
It stable enough on it's own, but of cause when you push the camera/lens it will topple
Won't use a bigger lens on it.

Last edited:
I also have the the 5 sections, although the 1005tx+g20 ballhead model.. very compact for travelling.. haven't used it that extensively because its still fairly new but it held my Oly E30, 50-200 and FL 50 (around 3-4 kgs more or less) without creep and i feel its stable enough for most non extreme uses.

Yes, not all of Sirui's tripods are suitable for your needs (just as no one should take in all of Gitzo models by blind faith)... My suggestion? Grab a Sirui catalogue - at the back of it lists all the specs of each model. Take note of everything (no. of sections, last leg dimensions, min/max height, weight, Max load - must be divide by 3 yourself to fit your equipment needs). Once you narrow down to a few models of your liking, head down to the shop (TK is best for self testing). If you don't know how to test for vibration control, ask one of the experienced salesmen about it. For me, I was fortunate to have Philip to fully demonstate to me the strengths of Sirui's tripods - shocked and awed (completely swayed me away from a Gitzo 3-section model I was eyeing on earlier, which paled in comparison tests). Example of vibration control testing: have the tripods fully deployed - apply a bit of weight (as if your DSLR is on) to the center, and the pluck (as if plucking a Guitar string) or tap lightly at one of the leg sections. The better models are those whose vibrations will not last very long (sign of quick dispersion - solid!). Lousy ones will just vibrate away until kingdom come...

For me, if you want the best of Sirui - go for their mid to top of the range models (pending the matching of your needs). If you want the best of Gitzo, same thing - don't go for their lower range unless you just want their name and not their strengths. I'd believe the top of the range Gitzos will withstand many tests - not sure most can withstand their pricing...

Last edited:
Ditto with OD's words, if 2204 fits your height after deployment (without the center column extended) go for it. The last leg of 2204 is 16mm diameter I think versus 05's 12 and that's a whole world of difference. 2204 can carry 15kg (divided by 3 = 5kg actual) of equipment weight. Whereas 2205 is only 12kg meaning full effective load is only 4kg...

Every year I see people getting more and more kiasu about the max weight. It used to be 50% more... 12kg listed max, 8kg real max. Then it became 100%, 12kg listed, 6kg real max. And now I see 12kg listed max, 4 kg real max....

At the rate we are going, everyone is going to need schatler legs, and kangrinpoche or markins head, even for entry level DSLR and kit lens.

hahaha you are so right... :)

to me it's more a 'confidence' feeling. When I see my tiny little DSLR mounted on a 3-section tripod with thick legs, and a solid (soon-to-arrive) ballhead, I feel secure :angel:
I'm not one to follow all those 'load ratings' so carefully...
The most important deciding factor is probably price, followed by 'shiok-ness' :D

Every year I see people getting more and more kiasu about the max weight. It used to be 50% more... 12kg listed max, 8kg real max. Then it became 100%, 12kg listed, 6kg real max. And now I see 12kg listed max, 4 kg real max....

At the rate we are going, everyone is going to need schatler legs, and kangrinpoche or markins head, even for entry level DSLR and kit lens.

hahahahha, sachtler a bit of overkill, better go for miller solo tripods, can extend above 2m,
problem can only use fluid head ar, by than the weight of the triipod is more than the camera it self.

just curious... TS, what kind of shots do you intend to take with D300s (gripped) coupled with 70-200/2.8 mounted on tripod?

Actually TS, i will avoid 4 or 5 sections and go straight for 3 sections one.. u are rid of the worry that the thinniest leg at the 4/5 section will be as steady as u thot they would..

Avoid 5 section totally, 4 section the minimum requirement and use the last section only at extreme cases..

yah.. its a worrying trend indeed...

But on a long term basis, its gd to get one that can boost a heavier max weight (if u are serious in photography, esp in the area of landscape or macro where tripod is prety much an essential component of ur entire photo shoot success)

My GT2531EX only 12 KG.. but i have gone to load it up to 5 KG of macro equipment :sweatsm:

But like what i advise to most who ask me

Just get the best u can afford :lovegrin:

yah.. its a worrying trend indeed...

But on a long term basis, its gd to get one that can boost a heavier max weight (if u are serious in photography, esp in the area of landscape or macro where tripod is prety much an essential component of ur entire photo shoot success)

My GT2531EX only 12 KG.. but i have gone to load it up to 5 KG of macro equipment :sweatsm:

But like what i advise to most who ask me

Just get the best u can afford :lovegrin:

Wimberley bro? BBB!! :devil:

Actually TS, i will avoid 4 or 5 sections and go straight for 3 sections one.. u are rid of the worry that the thinniest leg at the 4/5 section will be as steady as u thot they would..

Avoid 5 section totally, 4 section the minimum requirement and use the last section only at extreme cases..

Yup.. i have pretty much given up on the T-1005X. Going for T-1004X myself, for a travel tripod. I will still use my 3 section Manfrotto for landscape shoots in singapore though. Served me well, and has many years left in it.