Sirui Ballhead? g20,k10, k20?

Jonathan Ang

Apr 6, 2010
Hi guys,

intending to upgrade to n2204.
Have read up the other threads on clubsnap on this alr but,

primarily gonna be/have been using a panoramic head (NN4, with RD16), weight about 1.2kg+-
camera's 550d+grip+10-22/8-15L : ~ 1.7kg?(nt so sure)

i use a a300 benro legs, tripod>leveller>RD16>NN4>camera.
Had initially wanted to just get the legs, but was thinking combo buy the head cheaper.

any thoughts? if the g20 or k20 is stable enough i might just use the entire setup on the ballhead.

You don't mount the pano head on ball head, you just need to mount level head on to the tripod.

Last edited:
Abit off-topic but you may want to consider a panning clamp on top of your ballhead. Example.

With advances in photoshop you don't really need to have the nodal point on the middle of rotation that much anymore. Unless you have a specific purpose (360 views, etc), this is much lighter.

Your views may differ, just offering this as an alternative.

You don't mount the pano head on ball head, you just need to mount level head on to the tripod.

hi uncle catchlights,

ya thats what im doing now.
just considering whether i shld get any of the above ballheads. Maybe the k20? or is that overkill cause i only use wides. maybe for future proving sake. not sure got much savings cus a ballhead is not urgent, yet :)

jus saw ur other msg. yup okay gd idea,, too much torque on e ballhead too. will do, i mean not do that!

Abit off-topic but you may want to consider a panning clamp on top of your ballhead. Example.

With advances in photoshop you don't really need to have the nodal point on the middle of rotation that much anymore. Unless you have a specific purpose (360 views, etc), this is much lighter.

no, you need to have perfect nodal point when you shoot pano with any close up subject in the foreground, or your scene is not at infinity.

btw, TS don't need a panning head since he has RD16.

hi uncle catchlights,

ya thats what im doing now.
just considering whether i shld get any of the above ballheads. Maybe the k20? or is that overkill cause i only use wides. maybe for future proving sake. not sure got much savings cus a ballhead is not urgent, yet :)

jus saw ur other msg. yup okay gd idea,, too much torque on e ballhead too. will do, i mean not do that!
ball head is compact and convenient, but not the best choice for architectural and landscape shooters.
they can last you for many years, so yeah, get a better one if you can.

Thanks =] Draken413o suggested this before but I wanted to do full 360s. So I went for the full package =] The most recent 360 I took:

ball head is compact and convenient, but not the best choice for architectural and landscape shooters.
they can last you for many years, so yeah, get a better one if you can.

Uncle catchlights is right, even with the NPP calibrated but slightly off close objects is a challenge to have a perfect stitch - even with optimization.
Thanks, i heard..geared heads and all, but way too pricey for me. 5Dm2 and 17,24 TSE still on the waiting queue! Will probably get a k20, but might give the g20 a feel and see which "feels" better.

OT abit: I was on the go, very hard to reply. Don't know why 3G on phone, keep having to login after typing reply, or pressing a link, etc etc. Give up in the end =( is this normal? been like that for a long time tho, only first time voicing out.

-special mention etegration, his website and replies helped alot =]

I think the k20x is way way superior to the G20.

Jonathan Ang said:
Hi guys,

intending to upgrade to n2204.
Have read up the other threads on clubsnap on this alr but,

primarily gonna be/have been using a panoramic head (NN4, with RD16), weight about 1.2kg+-
camera's 550d+grip+10-22/8-15L : ~ 1.7kg?(nt so sure)

i use a a300 benro legs, tripod>leveller>RD16>NN4>camera.
Had initially wanted to just get the legs, but was thinking combo buy the head cheaper.

any thoughts? if the g20 or k20 is stable enough i might just use the entire setup on the ballhead.

K20 is supposed to be better than G20, with a higher price of coz.

I think the k20x is way way superior to the G20.

K20 is supposed to be better than G20, with a higher price of coz.

After hearing this, I had set my mind to buy the k20x.

Went to TK, talk to the young chap, Ark? Arc? Convinced me G20 good enough. First time a guy "under"-sell, but i appreciate it.
Truthfully, my cam will be on my panohead most of the time, and G20 will be more than sufficient for my current specs, and when the time comes to upgrade, probably wouldn't use a ballhead, but a 3way or geared(can dream) =]

Thanks for the inputs guys, appreciated!

After hearing this, I had set my mind to buy the k20x.

Went to TK, talk to the young chap, Ark? Arc? Convinced me G20 good enough. First time a guy "under"-sell, but i appreciate it.
Truthfully, my cam will be on my panohead most of the time, and G20 will be more than sufficient for my current specs, and when the time comes to upgrade, probably wouldn't use a ballhead, but a 3way or geared(can dream) =]

Thanks for the inputs guys, appreciated!

The Achilles heel of the G20 should be the pan base creep... if you are using a standard tripod, you should be ok for now. But if you use any sort of variable angle tripod, like manfrotto xprob series, or gitzo explorer, you will start running into problems.

I have a Sirui G20. I have used it for a couple of months.

My conclusion: it works but I don't like - too many knobs. I almost always turn the wrong ones.