Sipadan, Similan or Manado

Status
Not open for further replies.

kernels

Aug 11, 2003
I've a choice of these 3 places to go but only have dough for 1 this year. Which do u recommend that I go first?

kernels said:
I've a choice of these 3 places to go but only have dough for 1 this year. Which do u recommend that I go first?

maybe sipadan :dunno: cos afaik wef jan next year all structures at sipadan would have to be torn down and visitors are not allowed to stay on the island no more..

the experts here can clarify..

kernels said:

1) Sipadan/Manado - u'll have opportunities to "sight" for pelagics and macro. Sipadan is closing down but that does not mean u cant dive Sipadan in future... just that no operators/divers allowed to stay on the island wef 2005. Budget = above 1K (min stay suggested 6D/5N). As for Manado, SILKAIR is having a flight promo so u might want to consider... Budget = below 1K (5/4 night).

2) Similan - been there 3 times since 2000, dont remember encountering much of macro life. Given a choice, would opt for any of the above 2 places instead.

Happy diving!

For your leisure reading : http://www.cdnn.info/eco/e040629a/e040629a.html

Go with Sipadan if you wanna try staying on the island. Remember to include a trip to Mabul too if you like small stuff...

Having said that, if you really really like small stuff, go to Manado & Lembeh.

Similans is decent most of the time & great if you go around peak season (Feb 2005) but may pale in comparison to the other 2 destinations if you are going for the macro stuff.

thanks guys! appreciate it. guess will decide b/w sipadan and manado. manado for oct and sipadan for mid nov.

For me, I would go to Manado without hesitating

lanxx said:
For me, I would go to Manado with hesitating

For me, I'd stick to just Lembeh.....But if I want to mix romancing and diving, it would be Kapalai or SWV though.

just curious, where is kapalai and swv?

kthan said:
For me, I'd stick to just Lembeh.....But if I want to mix romancing and diving, it would be Kapalai or SWV though.

Pulau Kapalai, Mabul and Sipadan are the three islands you will dive around when u visit Sipadan. Accomodation is better outside of Sipadan, that is the other 2 islands.

Run a search on yahoo on "Pulau Sipadan Resort" and check out the info and pics on Kapalai. Likewise for "Sipadan Water Village"

Manado (make you do a side trip to the Lembeh Straits. don't miss it).

kthan said:

Hi Eric,

When u were at SDQ-Lembeh, who DM for you? Johan?

Many tks..... :thumbsup:

yep, Johan. They have 3 DMs there - Johan, Rudi and Joni. And the boss is Marthen.

Bring some of your old clothes for them. They will treat you extra nice.

When r u going? Booked thru Anky?

Eric

From 13th - 22nd Nov. Yes arranged with Anky. Have told anky to keep Johan available during this period to DM us. I got a list of critters for him to find :)

tks again

I think you need an advanced divers license for sipadan. If you have an advance divers license, can consider combining with the Mount KK climb that NickMak is trying to arrange for Dec. Dive and climb, deep waters to high altitude.

Manado has my vote. will spend my last dollar on it.

Don't worry about sipadan. its only the island resort on sipadan island itself is closed. according to reliable sources the shore dive there isn't that fantastic.
near by island (10min boat ride) includes Mabul and Kapalai is a better choice. Still you can dive at sipadan island even if you stay on the other 2 island.

can't wait to go lembeh :p

Aldrin said:
I think you need an advanced divers license for sipadan. If you have an advance divers license, can consider combining with the Mount KK climb that NickMak is trying to arrange for Dec. Dive and climb, deep waters to high altitude.

this may be a little bit OT, but I think I will just say this, that it should not be ok to go mountain climbing after diving. It is the same theory as no fly time, that you should not travel by air too soon after diving, standard 24 hours, or your dive comp's calculation.

Hi Eric, i'm planning for a trip back to lembeh ..

where's SDQ? do they have a website?

Other than the places, where else would make a good place during year-end? hmmm

Thanks for your help in advance. :)

chubbyman said:
Hi Eric, i'm planning for a trip back to lembeh ..

where's SDQ? do they have a website?

Other than the places, where else would make a good place during year-end? hmmm

Thanks for your help in advance. :)

Check PM.....Else Mods will claim OT

Status
Not open for further replies.