Singtel's new plan

I believe the rest will follow suit sooner than later.

The key is to get people off the 3G/4G networks and onto the WiFi networks so the pple on 3G/4G will get better connectivity without the telcos having to invest even more on expensive infrastructure for 3G/4G. A more cost efficient solution to improve customer satisfaction!

Anw I do think them throwing in so many free SMS is useless. Im guessing most people already use less than half their current allotted SMS quota.

http://www.straitstimes.com/digital...lls-out-new-pricier-mobile-plans-include-acce

I don't get it: does it mean that at the wifi hotspot you can download like mad, or is it part of the 2GB limit?

Will the others follow suit?

* All combo plans will come with unlimited use of SingTel Wi-Fi till July 31, 2015. From Aug 1, 2015, this will be capped at 2GB.

So, can download like mad until July 31, 2015. After that the free Wifi data is only 2GB

But I believe the data cap is separate. So after July 31 2015, you will have 2GB of 3G/4G plus 2GB of wifi data

Last edited:
It could be a good idea, but Wireless@SG is already congested like hell, pointless to use it. These new Wifi spots will suffer the same fate.
In case Singtel did not notice: cloud services (Dropbox & co) are meant to be used everywhere where the Internet is. Pondering about limits for such services clearly shows these guys missed the point. If they want to get a traffic offload from the 3G/4G network then this new route must offer an advantage. So far there is little to none. Best to stay with the old contract.

Agree with staying on the old contract. Singtel was quite creative with saying that they are helping people avoid the shock of running up excess data charges when apps like Dropbox start running in the background once phones connect automatically to the Wifi points. There is some truth in that although the cynical me thinks it is more likely they dont want people to hog the bandwidth.

It could be a good idea, but Wireless@SG is already congested like hell, pointless to use it. These new Wifi spots will suffer the same fate.
In case Singtel did not notice: cloud services (Dropbox & co) are meant to be used everywhere where the Internet is. Pondering about limits for such services clearly shows these guys missed the point. If they want to get a traffic offload from the 3G/4G network then this new route must offer an advantage. So far there is little to none. Best to stay with the old contract.

Yup, couldn't agree more.

Seems like I keep paying more for less.

NSF_LessIsMore.jpg

Right now I use Wifi on my phone for 2 main purposes:

1. Not having to worry about data cap when using data intensive services (Youtube, Dropbox photo sync etc.)
2. Having more stable connection/faster speed than 3G (my phone doesn't support 4G connection)

I don't see the Wifi thing serving any of these 2 purposes. It also has a data cap, and it is small if you're using Wifi for data intensive purposes. It will probably be as congested as Wireless@SG and the speed will drop/connection will be unstable

Like I said before.

Stay on the old 3G plan, this will hog the bandwidth until the telecos breakdown and they will have no choice but to put you onto 4G to create bandwidth or face service failure fines or pay for more equipment.

As long as you're on the old 3G 12Gb plan, you're safe from more charges.

If you want to watch movies on the go and cannot wait and must have 4G, you just have to pay, nothing is free.

Like I said before.

Stay on the old 3G plan, this will hog the bandwidth until the telecos breakdown and they will have no choice but to put you onto 4G to create bandwidth or face service failure fines or pay for more equipment.

If you want to watch movies on the go and cannot wait and must have 4G, you just have to pay, nothing is free.
Yup I'm still on the old 3G 12GB plan, though I can recontract alr.

Yeah, don't touch that one. It was an online promotion, I remember. 12GB for less than $12 as Mobile Broadband Add-on.
For the same amount they offer 2GB included on 4G. Not a deal worth thinking about ...
Beats me why people do this: tiny screen, noisy surroundings, only stereo sound. Movies need a big screen to look good. YouTube clips don't need 12GB data plans. Even when I use my phone as Internet uplink for work I hardly create 1GB traffic with all the powerpoint slides and stuff.

Yeah, don't touch that one. It was an online promotion, I remember. 12GB for less than $12 as Mobile Broadband Add-on.
For the same amount they offer 2GB included on 4G. Not a deal worth thinking about ...

Beats me why people do this: tiny screen, noisy surroundings, only stereo sound. Movies need a big screen to look good. YouTube clips don't need 12GB data plans. Even when I use my phone as Internet uplink for work I hardly create 1GB traffic with all the powerpoint slides and stuff.
I used to tether my 3G connection to my laptop to watch Youtube videos...that chews up data pretty quick. I can still do it, but I choose not to. Eventually I'll probably recontract, and I need to get used to a 2GB cap...

Anyway, there are many things that can use data when you're not in a place with Wifi...things like internet radio, Toggle (to watch local TV if you want to do that) can chew up data pretty quick, so it's not unrealistic to bust the 2GB cap, but it all depends on how you use your mobile data. You might be adjusting to the data cap and that's why you hardly use 1GB of data. I used to not care about my mobile data usage, but I find myself controlling my mobile data usage now to get myself used to a 2GB limit. Needless to say, I use a lot lesser mobile data now and don't get close to the 2GB limit

Last edited: