Singtel's Easy Mobile

Kit

Jan 19, 2002
Upper Bukit Timah
www.arkitecturalphotography.com
I'm on their Value plan so I get the following for $59.90. I added $10 for additional 2GB of local data. So in total, I pay $70.00 a month.

200 mins outgoing calls
900 local SMS
3GB + 2GB local data

With Easy Mobile, outgoing calls have become TALKTIME! TAKE NOTE!

So if I signed on an Easy Mobile plan, I'll most probably pick the $65 plan which gives me 16 units. Here's how I might split the 16 units.

Since outgoing calls is not Talktime, I might have to take up 350 mins = 7 units
SMS is almost non-existent for me with whatsapp, telegram, etc so I'll probably take up the minimal, which is 1 unit = 500 SMS/MMS
That leaves 8 units for local data = 4GB

https://www.singtel.com/ngp/phones-plans.html

In all, I am paying $5 lesser but getting 1GB local data lesser too. Talktime is still an unknown since 350 mins is only an estimate. Previous record shows I am usually use 300+mins. All things equal except local data usage. According to Singtel's website, signing up for additional 1GB of local data costs $9.00. So to bring my new plan up to speed with existing one, I need to pay $65 + $9 = $74 instead of $70.00 per month.

Way to go Stinktel!

I know the telcos are facing tough competition from free apps like whatsapp and telegram. The reason why they want subscribers to have at least 1 unit of talktime, SMS and data is to keep a redundant aka SMS service alive. If its truly flexible and tailored, the 1 unit of SMS could have gone to talktime or local data. Who still uses 500 SMS? Subscribers are already paying data charges when they use the apps. Another brilliant idea to screw.

If its truly flexible and tailored, the 1 unit of SMS could have gone to talktime or local data.

Yup, their implementation doesn't live up to their bold claims:

Customise your plan. Feel free to be spontaneous and modify your plan each month according to your ever evolving needs!

It really should be:

Customise your plan. Feel free to be spontaneous and modify your plan each month according to SingTel's ever evolving needs!

Within the limits they've set up, this new 'Easy Mobile' is more about providing the illusion of customisation. Clearly, SingTel's needs (E.g., Forcing customers to pay for products (e.g., SMS) we neither need nor want) come first.

I'm on their Value plan so I get the following for $59.90. I added $10 for additional 2GB of local data. So in total, I pay $70.00 a month.

200 mins outgoing calls
900 local SMS
3GB + 2GB local data
Sometimes I think it is good to stay with old contracts and just let it run. Add the services when you need it, watch out for online promotions.
I still have my iOne Plus for $21.60, I have added SMSMore for $5 (that was before I had data plan) and 10GB local data for $11.18 (3G), that's all. The included 300 SMS are never used and with my 10GB data plan I don't need to check even in a high usage month. (It was an online promotion, only valid for orders via their online store.)
Bundles usually include some goodies and a few things that make you pay without using it actually. Therefore: de-bundle, scale down and only add what you really need.

Last edited:
Let's just put it this way. Any telco willing to do the 12gb data plans gets my business for life.

No need to talk about 'innovation' when they are just playing around different ways to screw the consumer.

Kit, I'm drawing blanks on some parts in your first post. At first glance, I have to say that it's a good way to attract people who don't use much talktime and/or SMS. So comparing to your Value plan - you would have to get 4 units (talktime 200 min) + 2 units (1000 SMS) + 10 units (5 GB data). That gives 16 units, or the L plan on $65.

Why is there a need to bump 200 min up to 350 min just because outgoing calls are Talktime? Do you mean incoming calls are not free? But they are, as specified in Singtel's website:

price-table.jpg

So technically speaking, at first glance, it looks like you save $5? But I haven't had time to pour through the finer details.

From a quick calculation, I use about 100 minutes, definitely less than 500 SMS and about 3-5 GB of data. The sad part is that I end up paying excess data charges on a similar plan to Kit's.

Converting this to Singtel's units, I need: 2 units talktime, 1 unit SMS, and at least 6 units of data. My best bet would be the M plan @ $45. Even with excess data charge of $10.70/GB (which is mad, I know, believe me), that's still better than the base rate of my current plan..

Of course if you still have the old 3G data plans, there's no comparison to it... :)

Sometimes I think it is good to stay with old contracts and just let it run. Add the services when you need it, watch out for online promotions.
I still have my iOne Plus for $21.60, I have added SMSMore for $5 (that was before I had data plan) and 10GB local data for $11.18 (3G), that's all. The included 300 SMS are never used and with my 10GB data plan I don't need to check even in a high usage month. (It was an online promotion, only valid for orders via their online store.)
Bundles usually include some goodies and a few things that make you pay without using it actually. Therefore: de-bundle, scale down and only add what you really need.

but they bundled new handsets with new contracts. Without renewing contracts, I would have to pay ridiculous amount of money for a new handset.

Let's just put it this way. Any telco willing to do the 12gb data plans gets my business for life.

No need to talk about 'innovation' when they are just playing around different ways to screw the consumer.

I wouldn't be too quick on signing a 12GB plan for life. 2 years ago when I was on 3G, I could bearly use up 1GB of my 12GB limit. With 4G, I am struggling to keep within the 5GB every month. There's no drastic increase in my usage over the years. Data transfer is getting faster with time. 5 years down the road, 12GB might not mean much anymore.

Kit, I'm drawing blanks on some parts in your first post. At first glance, I have to say that it's a good way to attract people who don't use much talktime and/or SMS. So comparing to your Value plan - you would have to get 4 units (talktime 200 min) + 2 units (1000 SMS) + 10 units (5 GB data). That gives 16 units, or the L plan on $65.

Why is there a need to bump 200 min up to 350 min just because outgoing calls are Talktime? Do you mean incoming calls are not free? But they are, as specified in Singtel's website:

price-table.jpg

So technically speaking, at first glance, it looks like you save $5? But I haven't had time to pour through the finer details.

I didn't see that table. The other site says Talktime without any specifics. Singtel has always specified free incoming calls in their plans.

Looks like I will still take up the $65 plan and split the 16 units like this

4 units of Talktime - 200 mins
1 unit of SMS - 500 SMS
11 units of date - 5.5GB

Let's see how this will work out. I'm still a bit pissed about having to take up 500 SMS the least. Thanks!

From a quick calculation, I use about 100 minutes, definitely less than 500 SMS and about 3-5 GB of data. The sad part is that I end up paying excess data charges on a similar plan to Kit's.

Converting this to Singtel's units, I need: 2 units talktime, 1 unit SMS, and at least 6 units of data. My best bet would be the M plan @ $45. Even with excess data charge of $10.70/GB (which is mad, I know, believe me), that's still better than the base rate of my current plan..

Of course if you still have the old 3G data plans, there's no comparison to it... :)

If I'm still on the 3G plan, data is no long an issue anymore since I could not even use up 1GB.

If I'm still on the 3G plan, data is no long an issue anymore since I could not even use up 1GB.

Too slow? :bsmilie:

I'm actually considering to switch to this unless the other telcos come up with an equivalent. I'm tired of having a whole load of minutes and SMS that I don't use. :bsmilie:

With 4G, a lot of streaming from i.e. YouTube will be in hi-res. You cannot choose to go with lower-res versions on mobile devices. This will very quickly, use up the data limit without your usage pattern changing. To me, it doesn't make sense to have faster connections and end up having to use lesser.

With 4G, a lot of streaming from i.e. YouTube will be in hi-res. You cannot choose to go with lower-res versions on mobile devices. This will very quickly, use up the data limit without your usage pattern changing. To me, it doesn't make sense to have faster connections and end up having to use lesser.
The youtube player has an option to switch to lower or higher resolution. Nobody is forced to use the higher one.

Wait a minute! No, you still can't select lower res versions when you are on 4G! It will be on auto, which will choose the best resolution the bandwidth allows. You can only select resolution when using wifi!

Wait a minute! No, you still can't select lower res versions when you are on 4G! It will be on auto, which will choose the best resolution the bandwidth allows. You can only select resolution when using wifi!
From: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/91449?hl=en

Change video quality
Change the video quality by going to the gear icon in the corner of the video player, and selecting your preferred quality.
On mobile devices, adjust quality settings by touching the menu icon, then the gear. This option isn’t available on all devices (e.g. TV/game consoles), or connections (e.g. iOS on a cellular network).

Change video quality

Change the video quality by going to the gear icon in the corner of the video player, and selecting your preferred quality.

On mobile devices, adjust quality settings by touching the menu icon, then the gear. This option isn’t available on all devices (e.g. TV/game consoles), or connections (e.g. iOS on a cellular network).

Doesn't work on iPhones using 4G loh.