SingTel wins media rights to UEFA Champions League and UEFA Cup 2009-2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

deklan

Feb 28, 2007
SingTel wins media rights to UEFA Champions League and UEFA Cup 2009-2012

-Matches to be offered on demand and across multiple platforms

Singapore Telecommunications Limited (SingTel) today announced that it has been awarded the coveted media rights to the UEFA Champions League and UEFA Cup 2009-2012.

Under the agreement, SingTel will have the exclusive media rights across its mobile, Internet and mio TV platforms. SingTel plans to stream UEFA Champions League games both ‘live’ and on-demand on mio TV, and the Internet through the IDEAS portal (www.ideas.singtel.com). It will also offer clips on its mobile service.

Mr Allen Lew, SingTel’s CEO Singapore, said: “SingTel is very excited that we have won the coveted rights to the UEFA Champions League and UEFA Cup 2009-2012. mio TV is an integral part of the services that SingTel provides, and what drives pay TV take-up is the quality of content.

“Based on our research, sport is a key genre that drives pay TV take-up, and European soccer is a significant driver for people who subscribe to sport content.”

He added: “The UEFA Champions League and UEFA Cup are premier European club competitions. And because they feature the top soccer clubs from the UK, Italy and other major European nations, this content is highly popular among the locals and expatriates alike.”

Commenting on the award of the media rights in Singapore to SingTel, UEFA said: “We are excited at the prospect of working with a new partner in the form of SingTel. The commitment they have made to acquire the media rights is evidence of the tremendous popularity of the UEFA Champions League and the UEFA Cup in Singapore.”

As the UEFA games are played in Europe, due to the time difference, local football fans usually have to stay up till the wee hours of the morning just to catch the games. With mio TV’s on-demand feature, fans no longer have to lose sleep just to watch their favourite teams in action.

“The flexible mio platform has the unique capability of offering video-on-demand and SingTel’s extensive mobile and broadband customer base allows us to package this content in an innovative way that will certainly excite the public in Singapore,” Mr Lew said.

those who follow these matches...
next time need to get mio and starhub already... $$$

eh, someone posted this earlier. Can delete this.

seriously i dun see much competition between the red and the green. Both are still under gahmen (either direct or indirectly), the green company is not a private company if im not wrong, last i heard. Hope to see more private companies to provide REAL competition to have competitive prices, if not it would just be plain monopoly, one rise all rise. :p

Subscribing to chumps league not worth it, the reality is that not many people will wake up in the wee hours of the morning to watch. :sticktong

seriously i dun see much competition between the red and the green. Both are still under gahmen (either direct or indirectly), the green company is not a private company if im not wrong, last i heard. Hope to see more private companies to provide REAL competition to have competitive prices, if not it would just be plain monopoly, one rise all rise. :p

Very often its the cost of securing exclusive content that is the main cost. Whether green, red or us, its the content provider that gets the $$$

the worst is yet to come...can you imagine if the next time round singtel gets epl? and then the next starhub gets it back? we will all be switching back and forth. :what:

Best is to stop watching football. All the players are overpaid that's why the content is so ex!

i stopped my tv cable bout 2 years back...never looked back, could still get updates from soccernet or the newspapers the next morning, and if in the mood, there's always online streaming or nearby kopitiam with atmosphere. haha

Maybe one day, you see such greedy companies trying implement a ban on soccer showing live at kopitiams, citing non-profit earning reasons to be rectified. There's no hope for the human race. :bsmilie:

I am also quite pissed that starhub raised the sports group to $25... because they bidded so high for the EPL rights.... and I don't even watch soccer other than world/euro cup... I want to watch NBA and tennis.

I hope singtel wins EPL too and starhub will drop the sports group pricing.

Is there any alternative to starhub if I am only interested in NBA and tennis?

yeah, in the end its like the consumers lose out, now if we want to catch the champs league have to sign up for mio tv.... zzzz
while the other regular weekend epl matches are still under starhub.

Win-win situation for Singtel and Starhub.

We've to pay to catch the big football games here in Singapore while people in Malaysia and Indonesia get to watch it for free in their free to air channel.

We're really a captive market, no antenna for HDB flats as Starhub will provide free to air channel. In the end Malaysia blocked the signal for RTM2.

Most here just kpkb but in the end pay up for the football channel.

We're really a captive market, no antenna for HDB flats as Starhub will provide free to air channel. In the end Malaysia blocked the signal for RTM2.

Bro, you mean that RTM were able to prevent us from receiving signals from RTM 2? I think not. I think it was Starhub that blocked the signals to our home.

the worst is yet to come...can you imagine if the next time round singtel gets epl? and then the next starhub gets it back? we will all be switching back and forth. :what:

this i wont be surprised, they mentioned SH didnt even make a single bid this time round, i smell cahoots between both camps, therefore further support the notion that both are "kakilang".... we consumers have to bite the dust.
:bsmilie:

Lobby your MP to end the ban on satellite broadcasting and liberalise the cable television sector, or elect in a political party that pledges to offer a fairer playing ground for consumers.

Complaining will only go so far. An alternative is a mass boycott. Hit their bottomline where it counts, because we will not be taken for a goon's ride. :nono:

this i wont be surprised, they mentioned SH didnt even make a single bid this time round, i smell cahoots between both camps, therefore further support the notion that both are "kakilang".... we consumers have to bite the dust.
:bsmilie:

What notion? Both are indeed kakilang.

Status
Not open for further replies.