Singtel Vs Starhub

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paranoia08

Jun 27, 2007
Singapore
Hi all!!!

I'm considering Singnet BB 8mbps or Starhub 8mbps.

Will like your opinion and advice on which is more stable and fast.

Thank you guys.. Will really appreciate it.

:D

Hi all!!!

I'm considering Singnet BB 8mbps or Starhub 8mbps.

Will like your opinion and advice on which is more stable and fast.

Thank you guys.. Will really appreciate it.

:D
me most prob going for the starhub one...heard not so good stuff abt singnet over at hwz.

me most prob going for the starhub one...heard not so good stuff abt singnet over at hwz.

Ya, I read about it too.
But then, I also read about how slow starhub MOL can be..
Not as stable as singnet.
It's hard for me to choose..

starhub has been pretty stable for me. hardly faced any problems since I start using it at least 10 years ago.
only complaint is that the subscription should be cheaper...

starhub has been pretty stable for me. hardly faced any problems since I start using it at least 10 years ago.
only complaint is that the subscription should be cheaper...

So for you, you don't face slow speed during peak hours or night time?

I have been both MOL and Singnet ADSL user...both are equally good and fast...one thing is Singnet normally have higher upload speed....so if you like to upload stuffs...Singnet shuold have the advantage.

To me, my main selection critiria.

1. Price - If in the same speed, whoever can give me better deal win

2. Coaxial vs twisted pair - MOL win in term of cabling realiability because it was better technology compaired to the twisted pair copper cable of Singtel. So if you are staying in old housing block, chances of having cabling reliability problem is high. Just one week ago my office ADSL went down after upgrading from 2MB to 6MB. Eventually we found out one of the jumper cable in the riser oxidized because old building are quite antique. The problem only arose when the line migrated to ADSL2, so it seems to be more sensitive towards medium condition.

3. Cabling point - Some home or room have retricted phone point or SCV point, so it might affect the positioning of the modem.

I have been both MOL and Singnet ADSL user...both are equally good and fast...one thing is Singnet normally have higher upload speed....so if you like to upload stuffs...Singnet shuold have the advantage.

2. Coaxial vs twisted pair - MOL win in term of cabling realiability because it was better technology compaired to the twisted pair copper cable of Singtel. So if you are staying in old housing block, chances of having cabling reliability problem is high. Just one week ago my office ADSL went down after upgrading from 2MB to 6MB. Eventually we found out one of the jumper cable in the riser oxidized because old building are quite antique. The problem only arose when the line migrated to ADSL2, so it seems to be more sensitive towards medium condition.

3. Cabling point - Some home or room have retricted phone point or SCV point, so it might affect the positioning of the modem.

I used to use Singnet BB long time ago, 256k or 512k.. Can't really remember.
At that time, really bad experience... Alwayz disconnected.... Many many many many times a day....
After that, I switched to SH MOL, quite stable.. but my sister terminated it.
Now I wanted to sign up again, but I don't know which 1 to go for..
Heard alot of people saying that SH MOL is very very slow during peak or night times..
Was thinking about singnet, but don't know if the disconnecting problem will comes back..

Was thinking about singnet, but don't know if the disconnecting problem will comes back..

I have been a SingNet user ever since Internet was first introduced in Singapore. The disconnecting problem you mentioned still exists but much less now compared to few years ago.

I must say SingTel has improved overall.

Haven't experienced any excessive disconnection problems. Now and then the DSL connection drops but manual reconnection at the modem resolves the issue. But I noticed that the speed to websites in Europe or US is much faster with my 3.5Mbps Singtel ADSL compared to SCV of my friend (I think it's 10Mbps or even higher). Seems the peering with other providers is much better with Singtel. It's easy for me to achieve maximum bandwidth in upload and download direction.
Also, whenever I had a technical issue the Singtel Helpline was helpful and useful even though I don't use their equipment.

Last edited:
Great... Then I shall choose singnet... :lovegrin:

Cabling point - I tot most routers are now wireless already, so anywhere is good. Unless you stay in a huge bungalow.:bsmilie::bigeyes:

Just take the cheapest. There is absolutely no difference in service and reliability between both. If you want to nitpick on who gives the best bandwidth/ service/ reliability to the minutess detail, then you will never choose.

SH or Singtel or M1 or which ever broadband service...............ALL are bound to slow down during the night time when MOST people are home surfing and downloading BT.

If you want fast speed, try surfing from 4am till about 4pm..........as most household people are either sleeping or at work. My friend is on 100Mbps and he told me it's not so much diff from my 8Mbps.

Both gives you good and bad deal. Both have plus and negative points. The only way is to wait for a good deal. There was an offer few years back by SH which they gave out Xbox if ou sign 24 months contract. SH recently gave out controversial HP Mininote Book 2133 when you sign the 24 month which HP f**ked up. The customers (I m one of them) waited nearly 2 months before the laptop arrive at my doorstep.

I have used both and I am happy with both. I was with Singtel BB but when contract ended and they were not interested to retain a customer like me. So switch because SH was able to give me a slightly better deal.

Technical side......well SH also have a fair share of lousy technical support but Singtel is not far away from it. So both have improve their after sales service recently.

As a consumer, you have to live with small minor problems as NO service provider will provide you a PERFECT package which is problem free.

As kenkht mentioned................GO FOR THE CHEAPEST as you are going to pay for the next 12-24months.

Last edited:
Cabling point - I tot most routers are now wireless already, so anywhere is good. Unless you stay in a huge bungalow.:bsmilie::bigeyes:

Of course you can....But trust me.....nothing beat a solid UTP cable if you are serious about networking...except optic fiber...but the cost is just too much for non commercial use :lovegrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.