Not open for further replies.

zcf

Apr 10, 2005
270 degree of Singapore
www.straitstimes.com said:
http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_286545.html
SingTel raises phone rates
First rate revision in 18 years

SINGAPORE Telecommunications (SingTel) on Monday announced its first rate revision in 18 years for its fixed-line telephone subscription and call charges, and said it will offer $1 million worth of credit vouchers to needy households.

From Jan 1, fixed-line telephone customers will pay $10 more a year in subscription rates - an increase of 83 cents a month. With this revision, residential customers will pay $110 a year and business customers will pay $160.
Call charges will increase to 0.8 cents from 0.7 cents per 30-second block during peak hours and per 60-second block during off-peak hours.
To reflect changes in call traffic patterns, peak hours will be revised to 9am to 7pm from 8am to 6pm, Mondays to Fridays. Saturdays, Sundays and Public Holidays are off-peak.
With the new rates, most customers will pay not more than an additional $1.50 a month, said SingTel in a statement.
In a statement, the telco said it had been able to hold off any rate increase earlier through productivity improvement and network rationalisation by reducing the number of exchange buildings.
Mr Allen Lew, SingTel's CEO Singapore, said: 'We have held off rate revisions for 18 years despite rising costs. Over the years, the two main cost components, manpower and materials, have increased substantially. The recent rapid increase in utility costs has also pushed up our running costs.'
SingTel said the average annual wage has risen 52 per cent between 1997 and 2007, according to Ministry of Manpower statistics.
But the cost of copper, a key material component in the fixed-line network, tripled from 1991 to 2007, according to the benchmark London Metal Exchange.
'While we are committed to delivering affordable and good quality fixed-line services, the service must remain sustainable. SingTel is among the last remaining operators in this region to revise telephone charges. With this adjustment, our charges continue to be one of the lowest in this region,' Mr Lew added.
To help needy households, SingTel will provide $1 million worth of credit vouchers, each worth $10, to these residents.
Those who need assistance can approach their Citizens' Consultative Committees or People's Association grassroots leaders.
Said Mr Lew: 'We hope to cushion the effect of the rate revisions on our customers by providing $1 million worth of credit vouchers to those who need financial assistance.' In addition, fixed-line residential customers who sign up for both SingTel's electronic bill statement (www.singtel.com/myBill) and GIRO before March 31 will enjoy a one-time $10 discount on their annual subscription.
Wonder do I need to stop the landline subscription or not, using more mobile phone nowaday :sweat:

you mean people still use land lines? :dunno:

if singtel manages to settle its service downpat, and make mio package installation more properly managed.. it is a much more economical option.

and it's $10 a year. gosh.

80 extra cents a month cannot even buy one single Sprite, so much for significance :bsmilie:

how about using starhub digital voice? free calls.. :D

80 extra cents a month cannot even buy one single Sprite, so much for significance :bsmilie:

It's $110 per year loh.

Not that it's expensive... but with the prevalence of IP and mobile communications... is the land line still as useful?

Only times I use my land line are when I need to call those damn services which puts you through the automated voice services... :(

in the presence of (suspected) IED, cannot use mobile phone to call men in blue... :faint:

how about using starhub digital voice? free calls.. :D

Ive juz cancelled the starhub digital voice. Almost down every once a week for my case :(

If I only need Singnet BB, do I need to subscript to land line?

It's $110 per year loh.

Not that it's expensive... but with the prevalence of IP and mobile communications... is the land line still as useful?

It's part of the price one pays for ADSL :(

Unless they start offering just the copper line with DSL but without voice service.

Come on...What is there to complain about?
What is $10 increase to us???
Buy one DSLR can cost you 20 years of fixed line charges.

:cool:

I can accept this. They did not increase price for the last 18 years.
They only increase $10 over 1 year's subscription.
Your hawker or restaurant (or SLS tourist killer photo shop) is not so kind or moderate when increasing price.

I can accept this. They did not increase price for the last 18 years.
They only increase $10 over 1 year's subscription.
Your hawker or restaurant (or SLS tourist killer photo shop) is not so kind or moderate when increasing price.

Could that also mean 18 year ago they already set today's pricing?
:dunno:

I have ADSL but noone is using the landline... maybe I shd switch to cable bb...

Could that also mean 18 year ago they already set today's pricing?
:dunno:

Wah!... like tat.. you win liao loh...hahaha :bigeyes:

Actually, the "rental" didn't increase that much and the $10pa is very reasonable given the cost of maintenance and new lines...

but the usage rates does increase gradually.

IIRC got monthly charges that adds to more than what ST is charging.

http://www.starhub.com/freehomeline

It states free monthly subscription till 31st Dec 2010, unlimited incoming and outgoing (free till 31st Dec 2010) calls, and a free hardware when you port your existing phone number from another operator to StarHub.

So if you got CableTV / Maxonline, you get free phone calls.. I think still more worth it.. :bsmilie:

http://www.starhub.com/freehomeline

It states free monthly subscription till 31st Dec 2010, unlimited incoming and outgoing (free till 31st Dec 2010) calls, and a free hardware when you port your existing phone number from another operator to StarHub.

So if you got CableTV / Maxonline, you get free phone calls.. I think still more worth it.. :bsmilie:

OIC... when I first got my MOL.. it was monthly charges. Got it for a few month free too.. but didn't really test it out too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.