Singtel Mio user feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikonrus

Feb 15, 2007
Now that Singtel Mio is a few months old, I'm sure (hoping) that a few of you guys have already jumped onto the this ship. I'm thinking of subscribing to this and would very much apreciate if you cold give some feedback with regards to this service.

I'm refering to things like connectivity and especially for the clearity in their voip services. Thanks

To my best knowledge on the so-called unlimited 'free calls' which Mio advertised, its strictly limited to wireless VoIP calls made on supported phone models and on the assumption if the wireless signal between your phone and the Mio box thingy is dropped, it switches over to normal GSM/UTMS voice signal and they will begin charging u as if u're making a normal call.

I may be wrong on this, but just in case, u'd better double check on the Mio website.

To my best knowledge on the so-called unlimited 'free calls' which Mio advertised, its strictly limited to wireless VoIP calls made on supported phone models and on the assumption if the wireless signal between your phone and the Mio box thingy is dropped, it switches over to normal GSM/UTMS voice signal and they will begin charging u as if u're making a normal call.

I may be wrong on this, but just in case, u'd better double check on the Mio website.

can the VoIP phone be wired instead of wireless? :embrass:

mio consists of

1. mio Voice
- the service is Fixed Line voice service offered through broadband which allows customers to make unlimited local calls. It uses voip.

2. mio Plan
- this plan consists of SingTel Fixed Line (mio Voice), SingTel Mobile (not below) and SingNet BroadBand services.

3. mio Mobile
- this service is for mobile phone to use voip via wifi wireless for unlimited calls. Currently only certain phones are supported.

So which mio are you referring to ?

Wah! So many people here but nobody here subscribed to Mio ah?

Just don't want to be the first to regret the switch, that all ;)

Actually, I've been on Mio Plan for about a month. When I first converted over, I encounted 3 major issues with my phone line and Internet connection. The first was that my Internet connection speed could not go beyond 4Mbps even though I had subscribed to the 10Mbps plan. The second was that my land line (MIO Voice) would randomly drop a connection every few minutes and everyone who called in, would also hear an echo on their side of the phone. The third happend 3 days after I converted to MIO; my line went dead...no phone, no Internet.

Sounds like MIO is really bad doesn't it??? :sweat:

Actually no :nono:

The SingTel technician came over the next day (after some interesting threats from me) and after 2 hours of trouble shooting, found the following:

1. Some wires in the local exchange had burnt out, causing the line to go dead ... nothing to do with MIO
  2. An extension cable in my home was faulty; worked fine with analog phones and did not interfere with Internet speeds below 4Mbps but would severely affect digital lines and highspeed Internet connections ... nothing to do with MIO

He replaced the wires and helped me fix the faulty line; the result, my land line no longer echos nor does it get disconnected and my internet connection now runs between 11.5Mbps and 13Mbps.

What do I get out of the MIO Plan? Big savings!! :thumbsup: I was previously paying between $190 - $250 for my Mobile + Land Line + Internet subscriptions and usage. :sweat: This month, I only needed to pay $98 for higher end subscriptions - iOne to ITwo + 3.5Mbps to 10Mbps + Usage based land line to unlimited call land line. :bsmilie:

Is the line clear? Well, it's clear enough for 11Mbps to 13Mbps Internet connections and my phone line is very clear, TOO clear infect, I'm still not used to it.

Any disadvantages? Yea, if there's a power outage at your home or if your MIO Box malfunctions, your land line won't work. I guess that's why the MIO Plan includes a mobile subscription.

BTW, the mobile package in the MIO Plan isn't the MIO mobile. To use that, you'd have to pay an additional $15 per month.

For people who are re-contracting or picking up new contracts, consider the mid or higher plans as you get more discounts on a new handset. I paid less than $400 for an N80ie.

_

Finally someone managed to give me some proper answers.
Thank you VERY MUCH!

If you could clearify (pun not intended) on the part about phone line being too clear portion, I'd be very grateful.

Finally someone managed to give me some proper answers.
Thank you VERY MUCH!

If you could clearify (pun not intended) on the part about phone line being too clear portion, I'd be very grateful.

Hmmm....It's sort of like listening to a CD vs an LP. The MIO Voice (land line) is digital whereas your regular phone line is analog. The voices sound ... hmmmm.... how shall I put it.... it's sort of like clear to the point of sounding artificial :confused: not too sure how to describe it.

_

tink the issue of digital-quality on phoneline is not really the attraction here. traditional voice bandwidth of analog POTS (plain old telephone system) have a bandlimited audio spectrum of about 300Hz~3.4kHz where human voice is mostly present. such a small spectrum that even makes distinguishing/recognition of the caller easily done. it's the cost-savings that is enticing, not so much of the technical advantages that becomes the main selling point.

POTS have been here for so many years. to most pple, at the end of the day, so long the message is conveyed from one point to another w/o distortion and it's intelligible, it's good enuf. job done.

afterall, no pple will come tell u, "hey, i'm losing some high-frequency content of ur voice, can u repeat again?" :)

Status
Not open for further replies.