Singtel Broadband Problems AGAIN!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh yes, remembered that. Cables underwater were damaged. Oh well, must sit down and wait.

later water seeped into the cable and out of our computer.:bsmilie:

Heh... I think I should say why cable is link up to Taiwan and why there? I thought such stuff is thru wireless?? Forgive me.. Im not a IT guy... just feel so curious thou...
wireless? :confused: satellite link is not cheap leh... :sweat:

later water seeped into the cable and out of our computer.:bsmilie:

really ah? er.. so what should i do now? my office is in the upper floors, got chance of the water seeping out? think i better call my SA to let him know about it.

wireless? :confused: satellite link is not cheap leh... :sweat:

Satellite used to be cheaper but there was an oversupply of subsea cables leading to price drops (and some cable system companies collapsing). Satellite communications has problems as there is increased latency (ie. slower).

really ah? er.. so what should i do now? my office is in the upper floors, got chance of the water seeping out? think i better call my SA to let him know about it.

He's joking la, relax. :bsmilie: I am sure the cables will pass through our ISP data centres or something like that first. Its the servers which will be destroyed, not our computers. :sweatsm:

hmm... Then the cable must be ultra long from SG to Taiwan... hmm.. wondering how they do this... hmmm :dunno:

yups.. it is really super long.. they using fibre optical link.. meaning the data is transmitted by light.

I think they shutdown the link now.

My guess is it will stay that way till the submarine cables are fixed.

The en-route will be priority to the business users and not the consumers.

IN the mean time, we will have to wait. :(

He's joking la, relax. :bsmilie: I am sure the cables will pass through our ISP data centres or something like that first. Its the servers which will be destroyed, not our computers. :sweatsm:

heng ah.. fat green pipe can take more flooding before the red pip chokes.. :bsmilie: ;p ;p

I think they shutdown the link now.

My guess is it will stay that way till the submarine cables are fixed.

The en-route will be priority to the business users and not the consumers.

IN the mean time, we will have to wait. :(

that means I'll stay in office for longer hours liao.. just to use the net.. :bsmilie:

The fiber optic cable is layed under the sea. If I still remember correct from my friend who are in this field, it is from Singapore - Vietnam - Hong Kong- Taiwan/China -USA. You can't really surf oversea website due to most network shutdown for maintenance and under sea cable repair work due to Taiwan earthquake. Local website like www.asiaone.com or www.channelnewsasia.com no problem.

Sampan.. yah.. right.. it started from the time of 1980s le.... took decades to finish laying :bsmilie:

Yeah. They were singing the 'Doyang Sampan' song to keep them entertained throught out the nong period. They toiled so hard for us you know! :cry: :bsmilie:

at certian levels.. the cables are waterproof.. such flooding into data centres has never happen in Singapore unless really really bad rain. In Singapore, most data centres are hardly are basement or ground floor.. most are on 2nd level and above.

Your SA (system adminstrator) is helpless to prevent this. You should seek help from the property and office manager.. he or she will know which contractor to seek help.

Your SA (system adminstrator) is helpless to prevent this. You should seek help from the property and office manager.. he or she will know which contractor to seek help.

I always pity the SAs. Get blamed for anything and everything that happens related to the internet and computers. :angry:

Status
Not open for further replies.