Singtel 3G network speed

Jan 21, 2005
It used to be fine, but for the last few weeks or so this is what I have been getting at my workplace with full reception. Often it refuses to move and I'd rather switch to 2G which is slow but at least it moves.

982446069.png

Mostly would depend on location. Though, I do experience very erratic speed performance. However, compare with my StarHub mobile broadband, most of the time, I can get better connection with SingTel.

Too many sudden page reset and temporary page not found whenever I surf with StarHub.

Never used Starhub mobile broadband, but I thought their home broadband is inferior to SingTel's and M1's.

I have been with Singtel for years and never have issue at the location, may be the infrastructures couldn't keep up with the smartphone trend.

My starhub Maxonline 16mbps cable connection which was just installed was crappier than previous Singtel's 8 mbps. Loading speed often slower than viewing rate.

Btw, does the length of the cable affect the speed? The ones that they supply are 2 metres length, I'm using my old cable (10 metres), previously used on the Singtel modem.

my wife is Singtel. Mine is Starhub. Whenever there is a problem is Starhub,

It used to be fine, but for the last few weeks or so this is what I have been getting at my workplace with full reception. Often it refuses to move and I'd rather switch to 2G which is slow but at least it moves.

982446069.png

anyway my starhub 3G network speed is:
Download 1.15 Mbps
Upload: 0.06 Mbps

However, it changes quite a bit from to time and at different locations.

I am no expert but I don't think the length of the cable matters, considering the length of wire before the socket, what comes after the socket seems pretty insignificant.

Outside my workplace, and excluding all the underground MRT tunnel/station I do get generally good connection.

Every tom dick harry telco is offering 12GB data plan for smartphones ...
So many new subscribers have signed up ...
Everyone is trying to get their money's worth ...

What do u think will happen to surfing / download speeds ?

Bingo.

The problem I see is, for ISP, home or mobile, advertising "upto x mbps", they don't seem to be obliged by any rules and regulations to provide a minimum bandwidth. What I foresee is if they don't keep their customer happy enough and the problem would lead to some kind of tightening of rules and regulations.

But before that can happen there need to be a certain amount of expressed public dissatisfaction. And I am doing my part to uncover popular dissent. :p

I don't know about you guys, but my Singtel 3G connection is better than my Singhang mio ****box.

hmm...what about reception/signal? both me and my colleague have the same phone, we were at the exact spot, his starhub got 4 bars, my singtel got 1 bar.....zzz...

Last edited:
i also find singtel 3G these days very slow. not sure if its the network or iphone (3Gs) itself. :( cos when i use other network (pwwcs or something) in HK, very slow also.

i also find singtel 3G these days very slow. not sure if its the network or iphone (3Gs) itself. :( cos when i use other network (pwwcs or something) in HK, very slow also.

I find that the connection is very weak at night, but in the day, it's fine.

my starhub 3G network is getting very slow for the past few weeks

My starhub Maxonline 16mbps cable connection which was just installed was crappier than previous Singtel's 8 mbps. Loading speed often slower than viewing rate.

Btw, does the length of the cable affect the speed? The ones that they supply are 2 metres length, I'm using my old cable (10 metres), previously used on the Singtel modem.

I just cancelled my 16mbps after being for them for at least 10 years. Now using free singtel 1mbps. Frankly speaking it's as good as SH 16mbps except the upload speed is very limited. No regret for cancelling. Maybe next year will go for fibre network. M1 at 25mbps for $39 seems to be a good deal

Honestly they're just inflating all the numbers. 25 mbps will never happen. It's funny how the speeds are lower than the bandwith...If you have a 1GB/s connection but your bandwith is only 100KB/s, your max speed is still 100KB/s...All these speed things are just marketing gimmicks. You can get 25 mb/s...yes, if your whole neighbourhood (or maybe the whole of Singapore) is not using the net.

I just cancelled my 16mbps after being for them for at least 10 years. Now using free singtel 1mbps. Frankly speaking it's as good as SH 16mbps except the upload speed is very limited. No regret for cancelling. Maybe next year will go for fibre network. M1 at 25mbps for $39 seems to be a good deal
international connections is still limited at 15MBS...so what's the point of 25MBS

singtel ripped a telecomn wire in jurong area. i had my network on off down for a week.

singtel ripped a telecomn wire in jurong area. i had my network on off down for a week.

Oh really? It happens so frequently (network down) they could be ripping their wires all over the place every so often that I don't really care anymore. I prefer to refer to the Singtel/Singnet broadband plans as Singnet Broadband for the old and reliable service, and Singhang mio for the new service.

Oh really? It happens so frequently (network down) they could be ripping their wires all over the place every so often that I don't really care anymore. I prefer to refer to the Singtel/Singnet broadband plans as Singnet Broadband for the old and reliable service, and Singhang mio for the new service.

yep. its the mio thats giving headaches. anyways, M1 runs on the same singtel lines for their internet. hints hints