Singnet broadband offer's ethernet vs USB broadband modem

Status
Not open for further replies.

yeocolin

May 2, 2003
Singapore
www.flickr.com
I noticed Singnet is giving out its ethernet modems for users signing up for their broadband packages. 2-3 years ago, they gave out USB Alcatel modems for broadband network. I understand ethernet is something very popular in mobile computing, especially notebooks.

What's the difference between the 2. Does it got to do with data transfer between modem and computer? What difference does it make for a home user between the 2 types of modems?

effectively, Usb 1.1 can have a max 12mbps (i think...) den Usb 2.0 gives a max 480mbps... but the problem is the signal is rather unstable, hence your effective transfer rate maybe even lower... compared to firewire & ethernet. so if u wish to have a more constant, problem free connection, use firewire or ethernet. and since local adsl broadband speed max at 3.5mpbs, still within threshold of the usable usb 1.1 catagory... but to be on safe side & also for benefit of the user trying to use for multiple systems, giving them ethernet version is better.

So it doesn't make a difference to me then? Cos I only have firewire and USB1.1 ports (other than serial and parallel ports) and since I'm only 512Kbs user.

like i said.. USB connection is rather unstable... esp if using with AMD (still wondering y)...

anyway, adding a 10/100 ethernet card is less than 20 bucks... might even get it free...

many complaint USB always get disconnected.

the main advantage of the Ethernet modem is scalability. you can connect a router for multiple PC/Notebook or install a Wireless Access point for wireless connection. USB modem is attached to one PC only. ;)

usb cons:
- need to install driver
- use up 1 usb port
- cannot connect to most routers
- may not work well with un-powered usb hubs
- normally works only with windows, not all modems got drivers in mac and linux

pros:
- look nice ;p

I'm using SNBB (512kpbs) at home for the last 2 years. I dumped their free USB modem (given at signup) since day 1 and bought a Ethernet modem + a wireless router. Why?

1. I want to share the BB between a desktop and iBook. The USB modem doesn't allow me to do that, as all the routers (which is needed to share the network) that I looked at required an ethernet connection.

2. I want to be able to surf wirelessly at home. Again, the router requires a ethernet connection to the modem to achieve this.

Anyway, the desktop has since been given away, and replaced with a HP laptop. My ethernet modem + router are still serving me well. The point is - they last quite well and are scalable. Also, the prices for these eqiupment have quite affordable now.

So if you are thinking of sharing the broadband and/or surfing wirelessly, get the ethernet modem.

Hope this helps.

Another thing: If you recontract your SNBB, you can get the free modem. I recontracted (and upgraded to 1500 kpbs) during the IT show, and am given a wireless all-in-one modem + router. If you recontract the 512kpbs, you can choose an ethernet modem or the all-in-one. See http://www.singnet.com.sg/promotions/promo512.asp (I would go for the ethernet modem, and buy a wireless router separately - more economical).

Status
Not open for further replies.