Singapore's ComfortDelgro to raise taxi flagdown fare by 12 pct

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZDragon

Nov 9, 2006
Bedok
www.onzlah.com
From Reuters

SINGAPORE, Dec 5 - Singapore's ComfortDelGro , the world's second-largest land transport firm by fleet size, will soon raise fares for taxis in the city-state, with other operators such as SMRT likely to follow suit pressured by rising fuel costs and taxes.

A spokesman for the Public Transport Council, which regulates public transport fares in Singapore, told Reuters that it has received a notification letter from ComfortDelgro, but did not give further details citing confidentiality.

Taxi operators in Singapore are required to notify the council at least two weeks before a hike.

Fares are likely to go up by as much as 12 percent to S$2.80 for the minimum flag down charge, local media reported, citing unnamed sources.

ComfortDelgro spokeswoman declined to comment, saying, "We do not speak about fare increases."

ComfortDelgro, which is has the largest fleet of taxis in Singapore with 15,000 vehicles, while rival SMRT is number two with 3,000 taxis.

More good years ahead!!!!!:confused:

I dont mind paying more but where are the taxis when I need them? There are times when I tried calling for one and I couldnt even get any! :angry:

Hai.. the good old days when taxi fares starts at S$1.20...:eek:

I've just watched the news at channel 5 and I don't see the need for smaller taxi companies as they've stated that they'll also follow the market leader to raise the taxi fare.

All of them do not deserve to raise the prices. The services did not get any better, only the profit margin.

Hai.. the good old days when taxi fares starts at S$1.20...:eek:

Ya man !
I remember in 1988, I use to take cab from my friend's home in Bishan back to my home in AMK - the meter didn't even jump ! If it did it was by 10 or 20 cents only!!!
Sigh ! The good old days.:)

Apparently the hike is because of the recent oil price and drivers are not earning....at least that what I heard on the radio on the way back.....so what if price of oil rises? Oil price fall dun see them kpkb say must give discount to consumers, all keep quiet about it and pretend nothing has happened. Can't they do something else better other then fare hikes? Really make me wonder the capablity of the management staff of such company. Why can't we complain to our boss that oil price rise, hence transport fee rise so must rise pay? Tell that to your boss, the 1st one to be pok will be you....oh ya pokking pple is one good way to cut down on company expenses too.

Oil price fall dun see them kpkb say must give discount to consumers, all keep quiet about it and pretend nothing has happened. Can't they do something else better other then fare hikes? Really make me wonder the capablity of the management staff of such company.

Don't you know how much these Taxis CEO earn per annual? ;)

I think it's ok to raise the prices. At least taking taxis is not compulsory.

I'll have something to say if it's the public bus and mrt.

I think it's ok to raise the prices. At least taking taxis is not compulsory.

I'll have something to say if it's the public bus and mrt.

I agree on this point. The fares can raise, but however, consumers respond to the hike with their wallets. What I would not want to see is that the other modes of public transport follow suit with fare increases.

On the other hand, I think the group that's most affected by this whole saga would be the taxi drivers itself - they are practically stuck in the middle between the taxi operators and the consumers, and there's little they can do to influence the situation.

Hopefully this increase doesn't translate into higher rentals...

soon the bus and mrt will follow... the chicken rice stall will follow..... the ba chor mee stall will follow..... the roti prata stall will follow...... :confused:

soon the bus and mrt will follow... the chicken rice stall will follow..... the ba chor mee stall will follow..... the roti prata stall will follow...... :confused:

Actually prata and mee siam etc prices has already risen. 1-2 months back it used to be

prata kosong = 60 cents
now = 70 cents

prata with egg = $1.20 / $1.30
now = $1.40

mee siam / mee rebus / lontong / gado gado / roti john = $2
now = $2.50 (25% increase!!! If only my pay increase as much....)

Status
Not open for further replies.