Singaporeans...my view

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pablo

Sep 1, 2004
Blue/Green Planet
Hi,

I have read various threads/posts about views of Singaporeans over a while and one word that bothered me was "dumb".

Show me any country that doesn't have someone dumb in polotics.

But outside that, show me any country that has dumb people.

Singapore people are definately not dumb !

They are clever, inventive, artistic, loving, sharing and many other qualities.

I have learnt this through spending a short time with various Singaporeans when on holiday there.

I have also seen much via this site.

Something that has come up recently to point out to me thoughts such as:
Inventive, clever,artistic,sharing,creative is from this thread:

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=187936
follow the thread through to atleast page 19

Show me another group of people that has done similar (not your general we will all go out and photograph birds/ models/ trains etc)

My hats off to you people :thumbsup:

These are still true :

1 SINGAPOREANs are KIASU (scare to lose), KIASI (scare to get into trouble) and KIABO (scare of not getting).
2. SINGAPORE is still really a FINE city .... :bigeyes:

Canonised said:
These are still true :

1 SINGAPOREANs are KIASU (scare to lose), KIASI (scare to get into trouble) and KIABO (scare of not getting).

Hi Canonised,

True what you say (#1). But that is true for many countries, not just Singapore.

Also one thing I didn't think to add, as you say #2

Singaporeans are proud of Singapore !!

Cheers

Self-degradation is a popular pastime of many highly intelligent citizens of advanced, mature and sophisticated societies.

Singapore has one of the highly educated and well-trained work force and it's leadership is one of the most qualified and enlightened stewardship in this part of the world.

When it is considered dumb to do a certian thing in Singapore, in other parts of the world it is seen as being smart.

Now that Singapore has the new water, all it has to do is to move the island to a more pleasant climate. :)

Canonised said:
These are still true :

I disagree. Feel that this is more of an asian trait :)

niki said:
scared lorry? hahaha.. :think:

I think his " Lau LEE ' is , ahemm.. LKY

Dont be categorised by what anyone thinks or says

I stand by what I said when I started this thread.

Please don't go out of your way to prove me wrong.

Cheers :)

no one is perfect
no country is perfect.
the end
:)

Canonised said:
These are still true :

Tell me which citizen of any country in the world is not afraid to get into trouble? ;)
Tell me which citizen of any country in the world doesn't fear competition and losing their stand on the world map?
Tell me which citizen of any country in the world is not henpecked (the ORIGINAL term for Kia bor).

And finally, tell me which country doesn't impose fines?

Seriously, u ought to travel more. Not in those structured group tour packages but backpacking which lets u see more of a country's daily life.

Pablo said:
Dont be categorised by what anyone thinks or says

I stand by what I said when I started this thread.

Please don't go out of your way to prove me wrong.

Cheers :)
Well, I'm not sure if u know of the Chinese saying, "1 kind of rice feeds 100 types of people."

Which basically meant that there are 100 different types of ppl out there.

It seems that when ppl try to act smart to bring up a discourse of their own nation and the politics that evolve around it din realise that in the process of tarring their own nation, they are effectively tarring themselves as well since they are citizens as well. ;)

Sion said:
Now that Singapore has the new water, all it has to do is to move the island to a more pleasant climate. :)

In a few more years, East Coast Beach will be within swimming distance from Darwin. ;)

Tuas now already touching Jakarta.

markccm said:
my former Uni professor always says "kiasu, kia-si, kia lau lee"
If ur Uni professor doesn't exhibit a single behaviour characterised by his words, he deserves a salute and a burial deserving that of a National Hero to which all are to follow his examplary behaviour. ;)

Klose said:
I disagree. Feel that this is more of an asian trait :)
A universal trait, not an Asian trait.

BUT uniquely Singapore since the Hokkien terms involved are confined to the fabrics within our English-Chinese-Malay-Indian-Dialect speaking society.

Use these terms in USA and u wun get a recognition since these words don't exist in the daily American vocabulary. But they would still exhibit the same kind of behaviour that falls in line with these words abeit with other substitutes of vocabulary/daily slangs in American English that attributes the behaviour.

AReality said:
In a few more years, East Coast Beach will be within swimming distance from Darwin. ;)

Western seaboard of Australia used to be joined together with Singapore before Ice Age.

The only difference is you are now ahead of us economically because you like work and we like rugby, cold beer and long weekends. :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.