Singaporean scuba diver found unconscious but alive

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remembered during my 1st training dives, my instructors took 6 of us @ puala timon..
many times we "sort of" panicky when we lost our instructor (only 1 instructor).
we dun noe where we are heading cos the visiibility is only 5 metres...

Timon considered calm...however there was once in a while, the current pushed me to other directions.. once i kana "drifted upon stationery" and bum into a sea urchin at the seabead. It stunged me on the foot (even with my fin on).. painful siah...

I have to si-sah my way to the surface....and squeeze the poison out from my foot.
the portion kana stunged turn black siah..:sweat:

I have not done diving before, but what are the causes of those divers who have drown? I believe the tank should be able at least for 30 minutes, right? Diver should be able to swim back up to the surface under most circustances?

If it is due to heavy current that swap the diver away, then going in pair also will not help, only able to tell the family why his/her partner drown.

Could the problem be due the oxegent tank problem, like air got chock, Oxegent level not correct and cause the diver to lose conscious? If this is the reason than going in pair will be helpful.

Sorry for asking too many basic questions.

I have not done diving before, but what are the causes of those divers who have drown? I believe the tank should be able at least for 30 minutes, right? Diver should be able to swim back up to the surface under most circustances?

If it is due to heavy current that swap the diver away, then going in pair also will not help, only able to tell the family why his/her partner drown.

Could the problem be due the oxegent tank problem, like air got chock, Oxegent level not correct and cause the diver to lose conscious? If this is the reason than going in pair will be helpful.

no leh... if the oxygen tank "no air", we could use the buddy spare "pipe" for breathing...then both of them could surface together slowly..
more than ample time...no time to panic.

must be the bends - nitrogen buildup

or maybe they filming <umizaru III>? sg version :cool:

nah...not my friend..just that i've a pic of the receipt of the gear he bought before the trip
That was my initial guess. If you are talking about the picture in the new paper, that receipt was for his course, not equipment.

a four-day holiday? Are you kidding? Hundreds, Singaporeans and other residents go off during that time. Most dive shops start their season then and offer overseas trips.

As far as taking a course then, if you've already completed any CNY preparations, why not? It's not like getting injured or worse is a common occurrence when diving. You don't stop driving, flying, riding a motorbike, walking across the street on CNY eve, do you?

theres many ways a driver can drown. getting stuck in obstacle. swept by currents. in poor visibility to lose your oxygen supply and then panic and not be able to put your regulator back on in time.
normally even if you run out of air, its not difficult if you have sufficient training to do an emergency ascent. even from 20-30 feet, which is about as deep as you would normally dive in training at pulau hantu.. but if you have insufficient training etc, then you may not be able to do it properly or get to the surface in time. but sometimes in poor visibility, especially if theres a current pulling u, its possible to get disoriented and you may not know which direction is up.

its unlikely to have been due to decompression sickness. for a training dive they would not have been to deep. also DCS itself wont cause drowning but you can die from other causes.

theres many ways a driver can drown. getting stuck in obstacle. swept by currents. in poor visibility to lose your oxygen supply and then panic and not be able to put your regulator back on in time.
normally even if you run out of air, its not difficult if you have sufficient training to do an emergency ascent. even from 20-30 feet, which is about as deep as you would normally dive in training at pulau hantu.. but if you have insufficient training etc, then you may not be able to do it properly or get to the surface in time. but sometimes in poor visibility, especially if theres a current pulling u, its possible to get disoriented and you may not know which direction is up.

its unlikely to have been due to decompression sickness. for a training dive they would not have been to deep. also DCS itself wont cause drowning but you can die from other causes.

i didn't know being a driver can drown...hahaha:bsmilie:

... in poor visibility to lose your oxygen supply and then panic and not be able to put your regulator back on in time...

there seems to be a misconception that recreational divers carry with them a tank of oxygen for breathing underwater. Actually we are not so advance, we breath cheap compressed air only:bsmilie:

but this is not a diving forum, so I shall not bored you with the technical explanation:sweatsm:

Status
Not open for further replies.