Singaporean drowns in Phuket

Status
Not open for further replies.
A Singaporean tourist who ignored high-wave warnings drowned while he and a friend were swimming in the Andaman sea at Phuket's Patong beach.

Besides many people dying everyday making this pretty much insignificant, those words in bold really do remove what sympathy I could have for someone I never knew drowning in some place I've never been :p

Well, the high waves did not kill him, Stupidity did.

the person's already dead, everyone can probably take this as a lesson to heed the warnings when needed, no need to make insults right?

if u hv to go u hv to go - be it stupidity or cleverness.

For I am sure u know of many stupid people and also smart people doing stupid things that are all still very much alive today.

Everyone dies, by your act or others, prepared or not, sooner or later.

No big deal.

the person's already dead, everyone can probably take this as a lesson to heed the warnings when needed, no need to make insults right?

Thus the lesson is : Don't Do Stupid Things, It Kills.

if u hv to go u hv to go - be it stupidity or cleverness.

For I am sure u know of many stupid people and also smart people doing stupid things that are all still very much alive today.

Everyone dies, by your act or others, prepared or not, sooner or later.

No big deal.

Fated...

well, maybe like someone wrote his name on a deathnote... he bo pian have to do it...

I'm not trying to hurl insults or anything at a dead person la, but it is quite exasperating looking at so many people who do things without thinking about the consequences, and putting their lives and others at risk.

Besides many people dying everyday making this pretty much insignificant, those words in bold really do remove what sympathy I could have for someone I never knew drowning in some place I've never been :p

That's what was reported by the media; do you believe that really happened?

Maybe he missed those flags or didn't understand their significance?

I thought some one from Singapore previously died under similar situations? Ignored warning signs in Phuket beach? Lesson never learn.

Nov to Apr is peak season in Phuket, good time to go. Else it is monsoon season. People dont go - non peak. Which is why hotels/flights are cheaper.

With all due respect, dead men cannot defend themselves.

Just want to point out that the media's version of reality may not be the sole and most correct representation of reality.

Think again before we come to any conclusions about the circumstances surrounding the incident.

wah let's show some respect and not speak ill of the dead regardless of how they passed on. There's such a thing as karma le...

This is totally uncalled for.

Come to think of it, so is the drowning, if they did not heed the warning, as reported.

I admit that the comment was made at the spur of the moment, as I've seen and encountered many instances whereby people do things and get themselves and others injured or killed.

For example, like how 2 cars were racing at more than 160kmh, and one of the driver got killed becos of this reckless and mindless adventure.

Sorry if I've sounded insensitive, but I spoke from the bottom of my heart of how I feel whenever I read about such incidents....

Every one have to die one day. It is just how you die, no choice one. :(

Quoted from: http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/288526/1/.html

Company saddened by drowning of employee in Phuket
By Cheryl Fox, Channel NewsAsia | Posted: 16 July 2007 2143 hrs

SINGAPORE: Prudential says it is "extremely saddened by the accident", which saw one of its insurance agents drown in Phuket.

The company is cooperating with Thai police on investigations and says its priority is to ensure every form of assistance is provided to Bernard Chua's family.

The 34-year-old was in Phuket for a sales convention, involving 135 agents from Singapore.

According to Thai media - Chua and a friend were swimming in the Andaman sea off Patong Beach, when they were caught by strong waves.

Officials had reportedly warned people against swimming due to the high waves from the monsoon season.

But according to a statement from Prudential, the men were intending to play soccer and, while waiting for their turn, went to the sea to cool down.

The water was up to their waist, and a succession of strong waves engulfed them and dragged them out to the sea.

Chua's body was sent back to Singapore on Sunday. - CNA/yy

Well, the high waves did not kill him, Stupidity did.

It is not stupidity. Get your facts right , hobbit. :thumbsd:

He was trying to save his friend who was caught in the waves. That is very courageble of him. If not for him, his friend will not be alive today. How many people will be able do what Holk Beng did?

I know Holk Beng for more than 17 years; he is extremely helpful and will not fail to lend his hand to any one , including strangers. It is sad that he met with this fate.

I will be down to support his family at his funeral.

It is not stupidity. Get your facts right. :thumbsd:

He was trying to save his friend. That is very courageble. If not for him, his friend will not be alive today. How many people will be able what Holk Beng did?

I know this person for a very long time, he is extremely helpful and will not fail to lend his hand to any one , including strangers. It is sad that he met with this fate.

I will be down to support his family at his funeral.

Well, did I say he was the stupid one? Maybe his friend was? In my later statement, I implied that doing reckless thing may kill or injured oneself OR another person.

Anyway, if you choose to interprete the way you did, I apologise for my comments made.

Status
Not open for further replies.