Singapore wants older workers to continue working

Status
Not open for further replies.
So if the answer was for older workers to continue on lower pay and status, younger worekers to accept some reduced opportunity, you would accept that? The unspoken part is for you and me to understand the issues and take the compromises to support the effort. Politicians are politicians you know, they see a need and make a plan, they ain't got a magic wand to wave and suddenly create prosperity.

:think:
Humans are humans oso mah, you know.
There is only this much juice you can squeeze from a orange. Especially old oranges.

And if i can only do a 1K worth of work, i dare not ask for a 10K salary.
Otherwise how to justify to ppl. Can't always ask my boss to accept compromised work.

And every wrong decision seemed like a honest mistake only..
Hope this is the best solution, not the only solution they have for singaporeans.

:thumbsup: I ish support P@P ones.

You can kiss your retirement goodbye in SG...

But food for thoughts...

What will you do when you retire anyway?

I can relate with that being the case with Singapore being pretty much a boring place for other activities given we are such a small island. But the thing is I would like to hope that at LEAST we have that option to decide....what we want to do with the rest of our life or to find a job.

Problem is...the reality for most who are not with deep pockets will be WHAT WORK will I need to find to survive when I retire and will the company employ me. Those are your options.

CPF allows full withdrawal if migrate to other country.

I guess we have to look at Vietnam, Laos or Cambodia etc

Many young beauties there don't mind looking after a wealthy old man. :lovegrin:

Correct me if I am wrong...from what I know. That option is not exactly workable in some ways. I was told you have to leave the country, give up your Singapore passport and citizenship and you will have to wait for 2 yrs before you get to take out the CPF. If so....you need to make sure you already have money ready to last those 2 years first.

Continue working? Hmm.... I don't really mind.

It sure beats waking up, shuffle my feet to the void deck stare at the sky from 0800H - 1700H, go home eat dinner, sleep and repeat this routine until I croak.

Well you can join the old foggies at my block at the void deck. They sit around the whole freaking day either at the erect granite chair sets or brought their own chairs. They entire conversation usually starts with a dirty word, runs into another dirty word in the middle and ends with another dirty word for good measure.

They spend the time looking at young girls go by and they bitch and comment about them. The not so pretty girls that walk are not spared some comment too heheheh....

Would that be more fun har? hahahahahahahah.....

The sad part is each successive year another guy who is a couple of years younger then this lot od 60-70 will join in to fill in the "rank" when another old one bites the dust. That is sad man, You know if that is the only option open to me...I rather eat a bullet.

People of our generation will not be sitting at void deck next time when we retire.
Everyone will be online, tcss, provided we can still afford internet access.
How to retire when have to pay Starhub $60 per month for internet ?

Guess we're all born to work huh? ;p

I don't quite agree with that bro. I think we human are born to keep moving forward. My idea of retirement if I need to make clear is not to just sit down, slow down and vegetate. I could still be spenidn gmy time doing something or yes even a job I love ...or even better in line with what I love with a passion such as a hobby.

To me it is sad if you retire and you take literally and you also retire your brain, your common sense, sense of intelletual curiosity and make full use of your potential and experiences to live wisely and fulfillingly.

I for one am still keeping up with the latest music, I am still very much a hardcore gammer, a regular podcast listenr to a varied of subjects from politcs to technology developemtn to self help issues..etc. I burn through at least one e-book at month and I am not slowing down in keep my mind running. Yes the body will slow but a slwoer body with a sharp mind still stnad you on good ground to survive a difficult time that is what I say lah. It's good and bad lah..it is not entirely the govt's fault as much as I sometime feel they could be doing alot more for what they are paid but I don't want to get into that now....but it is also a harsh reality oversea too. Some more then others are already showing signs of that happening. I might still work or I might retire and just live on my saving and do something positive. But the one thing I know might happen is...I might not be doing it in Singapore. I suspect just liek there are now more Singaporean spreading their wings over sea to look for better jobs and money, they will be those leaving for economical survival as a retiree too. I really hope that will not be.

Anyway, I wonder who gets to decide which age we shall retire? We, ourselve or the government decide for us. :confused::bigeyes:

Anyway, who gets to decide which age we shall retire? We, ourselve or the government decide for us. :confused::bigeyes:

your health will decide...

Anyway, I wonder who gets to decide which age we shall retire? We, ourselve or the government decide for us. :confused::bigeyes:

You can quit your job and kick up your heels as soon as you see fit, nobody can force you to work.

Looking forward for a better future. That's what we used to say.
When one asks : "What do you look forward at your age of retirement?"
The answer : "No, you work! No retirement for you. CPF is not your money and you are only allow to take certain amount of money every month and if you've no enough in the CPF, you are in hell!":angry:

All in all, it is the money world. No money no talk.

At the end of the day, you need to be supported in old age. Either you earn enough to support yourself, or you depend on welfare and therefore the tax dollars of the younger workers. I think the g-ment is not being unfair in encouraging you to manage your own retirement. How would you feel if all your seniors retired, depended on welfare and the g-ment had to raise your income tax to support them? Fair is fair, you need to look at both sides of the coin.

Looking forward for a better future. That's what we used to say.
When one asks : "What do you look forward at your age of retirement?"
The answer : "No, you work! No retirement for you. CPF is not your money and you are only allow to take certain amount of money every month and if you've no enough in the CPF, you are in hell!":angry:

CPF is your money, but with conditions. Just like pension is your money, with conditions, and insurance is your entitlement, with conditions. Say you bought an annuity with 10 years of payment first and then drawdown from age 60, can you tell the insurers, "I want my money now."? If you want to be supported in retirement, who is the rightful person/body to do it? If you say g-ment, then you are basically saying tax dollars, which basically means everybody else.

No, hopefully we can support ourselve in our old age.
With the standard of living over here, how much is "enough"?:cry:

CPF is your money, but with conditions. Just like pension is your money, with conditions, and insurance is your entitlement, with conditions. Say you bought an annuity with 10 years of payment first and then drawdown from age 60, can you tell the insurers, "I want my money now."? If you want to be supported in retirement, who is the rightful person/body to do it? If you say g-ment, then you are basically saying tax dollars, which basically means everybody else.

Status
Not open for further replies.