Singapore to develop Tianjin Eco-city

Talk about establishing close ties with PRC.......We are the biggest if not the only carrot for PRC to chop. Can't think of any other?

http://edition.cnn.com/ASIANOW/asiaweek/96/0621/biz1.html (Old archive news of the SIP project back then)

https://www.google.com.sg/url?sa=t&...XbgJB5oVjAgs4SQ&bvm=bv.79142246,d.c2E&cad=rja

Project was spearheaded by the govt to bring in local companies to go take up the SIP project which mean not all the money was from the govt but the companies that went in. Burn? I don't want to get into the details as I don't want to drop names given some are corporate information but suffice to say I aware of people riding on that tail coat and I was part of that period including the fact I work for a company that was making in-roads into China then as well.

In those days... the amount of horror stories we heard or experienced. The many things we have to do to set up the business, registration due process that will test your patience and wallet, build infrastructures, political bribery of various authorities and provincial, expensive lessons learning the business culture, cautionary steps to keep your business going, office and inventory security, staff with their simplistic mentality..etc

Nobody is saying to stop this or to say it is not worth all the trouble. I am sure there are those who went in and found success as you can see in today's observation of local talking about it in medias but back then i the early days when they just begin to really open their doors for us to go in.. what mess it was maybe some of you youngster has not seen it first hand or were spare the problems some of us early ones faced. And to also say that this is the end of the nightmare and we are only seeing good times... you are sadly mistaken again. You still need to keep your eyes open going in today.

There are fortunes to be made but to make it you need to know there are huge risk at play too from China's own players. To most SIP failed but there was much lessons we got to learn about how to deal with people in these country. The thing is if you can make it big there it is really big...but if it fails it is just as spectacular too.

So when you hear there is a possibility this is done with our money thru the govt... you have to excuse me if I take a big gulp down my throat.

I just barely remember but I think LKY got a little angry with them for the delay and runnign into more money need to carry on with the SIP and he demanded strongly for an answer and I recall he was given a ignored or give the equivalent of a " talk to my hand" by the Premier or Mayor. Someone has to correct me on this.

Only when later our share of ownership of the SIP was lowered (which by then we lose 90 Million on the project) to 35% from about 65%.. then that year suddenly SIP showed a profit. The amount of unfair tactic used to wrangle this project from us and to learn how to build big projects like that is what help them improve on their understanding of industrializing.

Last edited:
Talk about establishing close ties with PRC.......We are the biggest if not the only carrot for PRC to chop. Can't think of any other?

we're not the only country feeling pressure from China's growing power

I just barely remember but I think LKY got a little angry with them for the delay and runnign into more money need to carry on with the SIP and he demanded strongly for an answer and I recall he was given a ignored or give the equivalent of a " talk to my hand" by the Premier or Mayor. Someone has to correct me on this.

I read that he went to the highest echelon of communist party in Beijing and using his close relationship with them to seek help for intervention.

Someone also has to correct me on this. :)

http://edition.cnn.com/ASIANOW/asiaweek/96/0621/biz1.html (Old archive news of the SIP project back then)

https://www.google.com.sg/url?sa=t&...XbgJB5oVjAgs4SQ&bvm=bv.79142246,d.c2E&cad=rja

Project was spearheaded by the govt to bring in local companies to go take up the SIP project which mean not all the money was from the govt but the companies that went in. Burn? I don't want to get into the details as I don't want to drop names given some are corporate information but suffice to say I aware of people riding on that tail coat and I was part of that period including the fact I work for a company that was making in-roads into China then as well.

In those days... the amount of horror stories we heard or experienced. The many things we have to do to set up the business, registration due process that will test your patience and wallet, build infrastructures, political bribery of various authorities and provincial, expensive lessons learning the business culture, cautionary steps to keep your business going, office and inventory security, staff with their simplistic mentality..etc

Nobody is saying to stop this or to say it is not worth all the trouble. I am sure there are those who went in and found success as you can see in today's observation of local talking about it in medias but back then i the early days when they just begin to really open their doors for us to go in.. what mess it was maybe some of you youngster has not seen it first hand or were spare the problems some of us early ones faced. And to also say that this is the end of the nightmare and we are only seeing good times... you are sadly mistaken again. You still need to keep your eyes open going in today.

There are fortunes to be made but to make it you need to know there are huge risk at play too from China's own players. To most SIP failed but there was much lessons we got to learn about how to deal with people in these country. The thing is if you can make it big there it is really big...but if it fails it is just as spectacular too.

So when you hear there is a possibility this is done with our money thru the govt... you have to excuse me if I take a big gulp down my throat.

Only when later our share of ownership of the SIP was lowered (which by then we lose 90 Million on the project) to 35% from about 65%.. then that year suddenly SIP showed a profit. The amount of unfair tactic used to wrangle this project from us and to learn how to build big projects like that is what help them improve on their understanding of industrializing.

have to say just one thing... both parties are not angels. Just that SG lost more because got outplayed but SG side did not play it right in the first place.

No prizes in guessing why the current leadership in China does not even drop by SG when in the region.

Last edited:
have to say just one thing... both parties are not angels. Just that SG lost more because got outplayed but SG side did not play it right in the first place.

No prizes in guessing why the current leadership in China does not even drop by SG when in the region.

we're just small fry :bsmilie:

but then again, no one wants to upset the new superpower