Singapore to build space flight facility!

Status
Not open for further replies.
S'pore picked as launch pad for space trips

16 Feb 06

SINGAPORE has been chosen as the site of an integrated port which will offer space flights as well as astronaut training.

United States-based Space Adventures, the company behind the voyages of the world's first three space tourists, disclosed this to The Straits Times last night.

Singapore was chosen ahead of contenders such as several US states, Australia, Japan, Malaysia and Dubai, after a year-long selection process. More details are expected on Monday.

When ready, the space port will be used to stage commercial sub-orbital flights - whereby the space vehicle exits the Earth's atmosphere at about 100km above ground but does not reach the speeds needed to sustain a continuous orbit of Earth.

The result: About five minutes of weightlessness, a view of the curvature of the Earth and the darkness of space, before descent.

Passengers can expect to pay about US$102,000 (S$166,000) for the thrill. The company will train travellers at the astronaut training centre here.

Space Adventures was set up by a US astronaut in 1998.

The company was behind the voyages of the world's first three space tourists: American Dennis Tito in 2001, South African Mark Shuttleworth in 2002, and Mr Greg Olsen, another American, in October.

They paid US$20 million each for a one-week stay on the International Space Station.

Interesting. I'm still waiting for the day they'd put up a notice for every human being on the earth for brave volunteers to explore Pluto.

:think: Singapore still got space to build such a facility?
Anyway, it's a good news to the Singapore economy. Looking forward to that day when it's completed - then we can all go planespotting...or spaceship-spotting. :bsmilie:

jsbn said:
Interesting. I'm still waiting for the day they'd put up a notice for every human being on the earth for brave volunteers to explore Pluto.
Great!

As long as we don't get too close to UrAnus. :D

Hurray! I will do a free shooting in space for them for free, if they willing to let he shot!!!!!!!!! :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.