Not open for further replies.

Darren

ClubSNAP Admin
Staff member
Jan 16, 2002
Melbourne
SSF06-logo-small.jpg

Heads up!!

ClubSNAP is once again proud to be associated with the Singapore Street Festival for 2006 and similiar to the previous years, we are asking for volunteer photographers to assist in the event photography during the two weeks when the Street Festival is being held.

Details:-
Singapore Street Festival 2006
June 2nd to June 18th, 2006
Weekdays (Tue-Fri) programmes from 6:30pm to 10:00pm (rough timings)
First Weekend (3rd/4th June) programmes from 9:00am to 10:00pm
Second Weekend (10th/11th June) programmes from 1:00pm to 11:00pm
Final Weekend (17th/18th June) programmes run for 48 consecutive hours

Singapore Street Festival Site
Singapore Street Festival Gallery (2003/2004/2005)

Click on this link to sign up as an Event Photographer for Singapore Street Festival 2006.

Things to note:-

1) We will need a minimum of 6 photographers per timeslot as there will be multiple locations to cover. More photographers will be required on weekends as programmes run throughout the entire weekend.
2) Please indicate your available timeslots by selecting the appropriate checkboxes for each of the days.
3) We will roster the photographers according to the timeslots indicated but in instances where there are too many photographers, we will try to allocate appropriately.
4) Photographers are required to upload their photos (low-res, selected ones, not all) to the Street Festival Gallery, sorted by day (username/password will be provided).
5) Photographers are to submit a CD containing high-res versions of the files (in JPEG format) to us (actual process yet to be determined).

Things yet to be finalised:-
1) Official badges
2) Daily Meal allowance (one per photographer per day)
3) Providing blank CDs for submission of high-res JPEGs.

Timeframe is quite short so please sign up at the site to indicate your available timeslots so that we can start the rostering.

Click on this link to sign up as an Event Photographer for Singapore Street Festival 2005.

Hi Darren.... I am interested but whats is it in it for the photographers? As i recall, for Street Festival, most people can shoot all they want to....

So are CS only providing the free labour?
A very valid point and in the interests of transparency and full disclosure, here are some considerations that members need to know before committing to this project (quoted from the SSF20052006 site) :-

What is Singapore Street Festival?
Singapore Street Festival is a community project, creating platform for local talents in performing arts, visual art forms, lifestyle trends and entrepreneurship.

Vision of Singapore Street Festival
To make Singapore Street Festival to be an International Festival like Edinburgh or Melbourne Festival featuring local talents to the international performing, visual, sports and entrepreneurship markets.

Mission of Singapore Street Festival
To achieve acknowledgement of this strength of passionate energy from our local talents, to be resilience of being acceptable and be recognized not only locally but also internationally, in order to be able to take performance of whatever medium each is in, to a higher level of fulfillment in achievement.

Goals of Singapore Street Festival
To be able to provide a venue for both local and foreign talents in collaboration and exchange works. In time to come, in hope to be able to provide an art house aka 'Fame' for our local talents who are passionate in believing in themselves and their own works.

How is Singapore Street Festival set up?
Singapore Street Festival is a non profit organization, catered to community. It is run by Annie Pek and volunteers during the festival and supported by various statutory boards in small ways. Singapore Street Festival is self funding therefore the need of registration fees and is not supported financially from any government ministries.

The last paragraph is the most pertinent as it answers the question why we are participating this year (as well as in the past). As part of the larger community, we are able to provide photography services to the Street Festival as a contribution to the success of the Street Festival - no more, and no less.

Now to answer the question as to what a member member obtain by participating in this project -
  1. Gain experience in Event Photography - even though its a community project run by volunteers, the events are professionally run and managed and one can get a very good feel of how public events are organised.
  2. Get acknowledgement and recognition of your skills and contribution - the Street Festival Gallery is visited and viewed by many artistes who participate and also the public, thus your images will be similiarly exposed to a very large audience. We will also work with the Street Festival organiser to come up with a page acknowledging the works of the photographers who participated.
Those are the two intangibles that come straight to mind. We are working on some tangible benefits (or perhaps a better word is compensation to offset some of the inconveniences) like meal vouchers, providing CDs for submitting images, and producing the badges for the photographers.

The last tangible benefit (which we are still working on) is the sales of images taken during the Street Festival. In the past, there have been enquiries of purchases of the images taken, and we have channelled those to the Street Festival organiser. This year, we may take those enquiries and channel them to the person who shot the images and provide an avenue for the photographer to get some revenue. However, this is still under discussion and we are trying to work out a process that will make this easy to manage.

At the end of the day, all images taken by members are copyrighted and owned by the members. However, the Street Festival organiser has requested permission to use the images for promotion and marketing activities of future Street Festivals.

I hope that this answers most of the questions surrounding the "Why?" we are participating in the Street Festival project. Members contribute their time and skills to this project and ClubSNAP contributes in terms of organisation and will also fund the associated costs (meal vouchers, CDs, badges, etc) unless some kind sponsor steps up and helps us defray some of the organisation costs.

As the timeframe is quite short, please sign up at the site to indicate your available timeslots so that we can start the rostering for the first week (at least for the first weekend).

Click on this link to sign up as an Event Photographer for Singapore Street Festival 2005.

We will be arranging for a briefing with the SSF2006 organisers so that expectations and guidelines are known between the organiser and photographers to defray potential issues arising over the event photography.

Update!
We are working on some sponsorship of items for the selected photographers as well as potentially a competition for images taken at the Street Festival. So Hurry! sign up today to get selected.

Reserved for updates.

Reserved for updates on updates.

HI Darren,

Pardon my ignorance. But for the registration to be the event photographer, there seems to be no other links to click to register myself as one.

Dont know whether is it my computer or what?

Can advise?

Thanks.

hanqiang1011 said:
HI Darren,

Pardon my ignorance. But for the registration to be the event photographer, there seems to be no other links to click to register myself as one.

Dont know whether is it my computer or what?

Can advise?

Thanks.
Go to this site - http://clubsnap.eventicentral.com/events/SSF2006.php - the Register link is right at the bottom of the page.

quite an experience for me last yr. :thumbsup:

do sign up for those eager to practice his/her skills at event/stage photography!

Hi Darren, quite keen to sign up again this year. :)

but i still do not know my schedule for june yet.. -_-"

What if we sign up for some slots and we can't make it at the last minute? We find someone else to take over us? etc?

Thanks

~Arcanic~ said:
Hi Darren, quite keen to sign up again this year. :)

but i still do not know my schedule for june yet.. -_-"

What if we sign up for some slots and we can't make it at the last minute? We find someone else to take over us? etc?

Thanks
It would be ideal if you could find a replacement.

What I will do is to circulate among the selected photographers a list of names and phone numbers and you guys can talk with each other to help out if someone cannot make it.

Last year, members also posted in the thread to alert that they could not make it, and some other member stepped in to cover, which is great community spirit.

Update!
We are working on some sponsorship of items for the selected photographers as well as potentially a competition for images taken at the Street Festival. So Hurry! sign up today to get selected.

As at the time of this post, we already have 31 photographers signed up. Thanks to all of you who signed up early.

If you are interested to participate, please sign up as soon as possible.

I will start rostering the first weeks schedule over this weekend.

Hi Darren,

newbie can register?? can only do it weekends.

Cheers.

This is a very good opportunity for photographers to have a first hand feel of live-events, which I had the chance to try last year. However may I offer my comments:

1. People who sign up, please be Professional in your approach and execution of your "duties".
a) arrive before the event time,
b) stay at your designated location,
c) if for any reason you are unable to go, please get a replacement
d) respect the performers, judges, public, etc... and try not to block ppl behind.
e) wear your official badge.
f) try not to leave before the end of the event.
g) download and burn your images on CD and submit. Upload your images to the site provided.

2. Certain events,especially the weekdays have VERY poor attendants. Be pro, stay behind and shoot. Sometimes the performance will even delay by almost an hour and probably there are only a couple of friends of the performers. If you sign on, please stay on till your job is done.

Best wishes, and looking forward to your beautiful images...... :lovegrin:

Canonised said:
This is a very good opportunity for photographers to have a first hand feel of live-events, which I had the chance to try last year. However may I offer my comments:

1. People who sign up, please be Professional in your approach and execution of your "duties".
a) arrive before the event time,
b) stay at your designated location,
c) if for any reason you are unable to go, please get a replacement
d) respect the performers, judges, public, etc... and try not to block ppl behind.
e) wear your official badge.
f) try not to leave before the end of the event.
g) download and burn your images on CD and submit. Upload your images to the site provided.

2. Certain events,especially the weekdays have VERY poor attendants. Be pro, stay behind and shoot. Sometimes the performance will even delay by almost an hour and probably there are only a couple of friends of the performers. If you sign on, please stay on till your job is done.

Best wishes, and looking forward to your beautiful images...... :lovegrin:

canonised - 3 more.

h) bring water... lots of water.
i) wear something comfortable. cotton white/light-coloured T-shirts and bring a towel.

addition to d) leave ur ladders at home... spare a thot for the audience. :sweatsm:

After signing up should I be expecting an e-mail? Cuz I can't access the page again. :dunno:

The below link gave me a error 404 today.

404 error,i can't register.

Status
Not open for further replies.